remember the Jack Webb movie "The D.I." - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the D.I. is the best boot camp movie made and thats the facts and nothing but the facts

I just watched it again over the weekend. Made me wonder, do they still issue buckets in boot camp.

I reported to boot camp Nov.66 and we had buckets.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In 1971 we didn't get them in Receiving (although we got a "bucket issue" of stuff except the bucket - probably should have been called a "laundry bag issue"). We got the buckets later at our squadbay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytcbra96 View Post
    I just watched it again over the weekend. Made me wonder, do they still issue buckets in boot camp.
    LOL I remember those darn buckets. Everything the Corps thought you would need for a couple of weeks to make a Marine out of you. Wash day was a biggy.

Tribes

Zulu!
    Thanks for the info on "Tripes". I saw it on tv. After I became a Marine, I did not like it. My buddy said;"Darren Macgavin needs a haircut".
    Semper Fi,
    Eric

I was in boot camp while the D.I. was being filmed.. our platoon could see the "Hollywood" Marines ascroos the grinder. and our dirll instructor would laugh.. and give us hell. as for the reality of the movie... the physical correction that was carried on gave me scars that I have to this day.. SSGT McKeoun at P.I. drowned several recruits and that brought about a few changes.. Anybody familiar with the drill instructors yelling out "rain a bucket of quarters" and actually getting a bucket of quarters.... nice liberty.. or "rain a bucket of luckies" ang a bucket of lucky strike cigs were presented to him..fear can make a person make things happen. Good old days......

Army Chevrons

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    you serious? maybe it's not the same one I'm thinking about... the guy had Army chevrons on....
    SSgt Petzold. Back then we didn't have crossed rifles. Then a LCpl E-3 was a two stripe Cpl and a Sgt was an E-4, SSgt was an E-5, an so on.
    In 1961 all of the old ranks either were promoted or went to the new ranking accordingly, i.e. a Cpl E-3 went to Lcpl E-3.
    Regards,
    Lambert

yeah, I had a super brain fart. It was this movie but I didn't realize when the movie took place or when it was made. I thought it was in the 70's. I made an error and I apologize.

Man I love this movie. Jack Webb is one hard man.

Love the sandflea scene... By far one of the funniest moments in a military film.

Thanks for sharing!

"Center yourself in my hatch!"

When we were allowed to see those movies...the "D.I..."...is what we saw......I was always asleep of course................I never knew I snored til my bunkie said...."Shut the **** up.........!!"

I was in Okinawa in August of 1964 and worked for a Sgt E-4. I believe the change over ended December 31, 1964.

Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaRon View Post
    I was in Okinawa in August of 1964 and worked for a Sgt E-4. I believe the change over ended December 31, 1964.
    I stand corrected. I must be suffering from old age. Here is the straight scoop on when the grade structure changed.

"A transitional period of dual grade structure, to end entirely on 1 January 1965, was worked out to insure that no Marine would lose stripes. This was achieved by establishing "acting" ranks, so that all Marines would be able to retain their existing titles, insignia, and privileges. Upon promotion, they would assume the new rank titles. The prefix "acting," however, was abolished by the Commandant on 1 August 1960, and the end of the transitionalperiod for all grades was moved up to 1 July 1963." (179)

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

movie the DI

Quote Originally Posted by hypnotist View Post
    i was at SD when that movie was being filmed. Although it was supposed to take place at P.I. it was for the most part filmed on mcrd san diego. Anybody else remember ?
    sgt pete oneill played the latino rodriguez i think . pete was half irish and half
    puerto rican in 1955 pete was a mp in the same barracks as i was.
    i shipped to korea and never saw him again . great guy i understand he later
    became a DI at diego probably why he got picked for the part.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    A personal favorite of mine. I believe it was made in either '57 or '58 with full cooperation of the Corps. This was after the Ribbon Creek episode in '56. I've often wondered how Webb would have made the movie given the cultural leeway of the 80's or 90's

Thread Information