remember the Jack Webb movie "The D.I." - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    A personal favorite of mine. I believe it was made in either '57 or '58 with full cooperation of the Corps. This was after the Ribbon Creek episode in '56. I've often wondered how Webb would have made the movie given the cultural leeway of the 80's or 90's

I don't think Webb would have made the D.I. in those decades, Webb was too straight laced. It was up to Stanley Kubrick to make the equivalent in FMJ.

I Loved That Movie They Had Real Marines There,

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I don't think Webb would have made the D.I. in those decades, Webb was too straight laced. It was up to Stanley Kubrick to make the equivalent in FMJ.

I agree Webb was wound far too tight, I think anal is a good description.

Credits
    Savings

Tech Sgt. in the Corps

Went and looked on You Tube for clips of the movie. Found a few but one in particular in which the Webb's character is referred to as Gunny. However, in the credits Sgt Moore (Webb) is referred to as Tech Sgt. Moore

I did not know the Corps had a rank of Technical Sgt. So I did some research and this is what I found;

Technical Sergeant was also a technical rank in the United States Marine Corps until 1958. From 1941 until 1946, the rank was equivalent to grade 2, ranking with Gunnery Sergeant and other technical ranks with which it shared its insignia. From 1947 until 1958, the rank was reclassified as E-6 and became the sole rank in this grade. The rank was renamed Gunnery Sergeant and elevated to E-7 after the reorganization of grades in 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytcbra96 View Post
    I have a copy if you want it.
    I hope I expressed my gratitude for your Kindness.I've watched it several times.Thanks again bro!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That hippy kid in the movie "tribes" was Jan Michael Vincent, later of fame with the TV series "Airwolf" also was a big hit in the movie "The Mechanic" with Charles Bronson.

Credits
    Savings
    Tribes was filmed, part of it anyway during Boot cam at MCRDSD in May 1970 during our Pugel Stick "Q-Tips" Training although not all of us were "in" the actual scened we were spectators though.

I could recite that movie word for word.

Credits
    Savings
    clansman,

were you at MCRDSD during the time and filming of the Tribes Movie?

Remember watching "Dragnet" every time and the "D.I" as well as "Halls of Montezuma" where he played a chain smoken reporter never gave up watching anything he was in. Still don't.

Jack Webb.

I've got to agree Butch, Webb is always worth watching. I try not to miss his work too.
    Dan, thank you for getting my head straightened out, on the "GUNNY" question. I recall being growled at a few times, back in the day, for getting it wrong. I never did get it right, until I read your post. O'm glad I decided tp look in here. "Fair Winds", and S/F!!! KEN

Credits
    Savings
    Hypnotist,

What Unit/Plt were you in at MCRDSD when film was made, I was in Plt. #1061, stayed in thosw damn Quonset Huts right next to Landing Strip on back of Base next to san Diego Airport.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    I've got to agree Butch, Webb is always worth watching. I try not to miss his work too.
    Dan, thank you for getting my head straightened out, on the "GUNNY" question. I recall being growled at a few times, back in the day, for getting it wrong. I never did get it right, until I read your post. O'm glad I decided tp look in here. "Fair Winds", and S/F!!! KEN
    Glad to help out Ken. As I said in my post, I wasn't aware the Corps had the Tech Sgt. rank.

I liked the Ben Alexander "Dragnets' more than the Henry Morgan ones. Did you ever see the Dragnet movie Webb made? I think it was made in 1955

Dragnet Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Glad to help out Ken. As I said in my post, I wasn't aware the Corps had the Tech Sgt. rank.

I liked the Ben Alexander "Dragnets' more than the Henry Morgan ones. Did you ever see the Dragnet movie Webb made? I think it was made in 1955
    I saw the movie, but it wasn't that good, as I recall. They didn't give J Webb that much of a script tp work with.
    I never thought Henry Morgan was all that great, as a serious actor.He was much better in comedy roles, such as the Colonel in M*A*S*H. There, he was the star of the show, as far as I was concerned. I have to admit, I was prejudiced, since I had met a 'Doggie' Doctor, in a mash unit on Korea, who had to have been the idiot they used to invent ' Hawk-Eye Pierce'. That a-hole will always live in my memory, as the most arrogant, egotistic, idiot I ever met. Needless to say, I did not like " Hawk=Eye.' Jack Webb, and Henry Morgan , WE salute you !!! S/F!! Ken

Thread Information