Help me understand
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me understand

Ive been in DEP for about 5 months now, but just recently i realized something for the first time and its something that has really been bothering me. Lately i've been noticing how absolutely lazy and rediculously erragant most Americans truly are. It really bugs me at how men and women can fight and sometimes die for there freedoms and rights, and yet most people could care less. Hell most even take the simplest of things for granted, like say for instance electricity, or a cell phone. I guess the closer i get to boot camp the more i appreciate little things that i will lose for 3 months. Has anyone else noticed this? Am i missing something?

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I can kind of agree. Today I had the first friend of mine tell me he appreciated and respected my decision to join the Marine Corps. Out of the people that know I'm enlisting, he was the first to say it to me and I joined June 9th. Every other person has begged me not to, said I was dumb for doing it, talked down upon the military/USMC and whatever else you could think of. I told him I appreciated it but I don't even think he knew how much it meant to hear it from someone. Obviously on here everyone is pro-military & Marine Corps but in real life, at least for me, it is quite the opposite except for my RSS and all of my Poolee brothers.

I have met and seen MANY people that make you wonder if they are worth fighting for.

I'm fortunate that my family as well as my wife's family are pro-military and especially pro-USMC. I guess it just really bugs me how some people are so unappreciative of the simplest things. What has happened to America over the last 100 years? I guess the more i hang around Marines and poolees the more i see it?

Marine Friend Free Member Cressler's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I haven't been in DEP very long but i've seen this to when me and my recruiter were working the fair we just people watched and watched people and sometimes not very smart people walk past a couple would come up and shake our hands but most just made you go wow

I think that would be a good guess. I have noticed the fat lazy slobs who do nothing in life except live off welfare checks(aka working mans money) but as I surround myself with people that have goals and want to better themselves I to notice it more.

It's almost as if this county's morals/intelligence levels have dropped substantially. I mean people dont even bat an eye when a space shuttle lands on the moon.

Oh well i'm just gonna stay motivated and enjoy earning my title.

Credits
    Savings
    Not everyone can be as motivated and dedicated as us turd Poolees. Hah...

I would be much happier if I had joined in the 40s. Everyone was active, worked, and very patriotic. Now no ones gives a $hit about anyone or even themselves. Plus I could have fought in WWII. Just think of being on iwo jima and watching the flag go up.

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    I would be much happier if I had joined in the 40s. Everyone was active, worked, and very patriotic. Now no ones gives a $hit about anyone or even themselves.
    amen to that! I can only imagine how it felt to come home with arms open wide from the entire country!

Credits
    Savings
    Because people may not support the Marines like they used to in previous wars, we must remember to take care of each other even more. Help your fellow poolees now, fellow recruits later and fellow Marines after you graduate. Lead from the front.

Well, If my life was going to happen according to my friends, I will die at the ripe age of 18 or 19 if im lucky. I guess im going to get killed right away, hell according to them, ill be in Iraq/Afghan for less then 5 minutes! You know what **** 'em! They can all go screw themselves, they dont know jack **** and there not worth the time and effort. There not true friends I guess.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    Well, If my life was going to happen according to my friends, I will die at the ripe age of 18 or 19 if im lucky. I guess im going to get killed right away, hell according to them, ill be in Iraq/Afghan for less then 5 minutes! You know what **** 'em! They can all go screw themselves, they dont know jack **** and there not worth the time and effort. There not true friends I guess.
    MarinesFTW, you need to settle down. What you described is exactly how my brother put it. I said **** him and I've held it against him ever since. Not something you want to hold on to.

Credits
    Savings
    He is right though. There are people who understand why we've done what we've done and then there are those who don't. If the people who don't understand want to talk down on us and while being misinformed still try to talk us out of it...F them. We'll be Marines and they won't. We'll have our brothers and they'll have their...dog...?

I believe I have come to a simple solution. I live in Clovis NM, a small town about 4 hours from Juarez Mexico. We have public schools where children are taught strictly in spanish. The last human resources rep. was fired from my job because she wanted to administer drug tests to everyone at my company (the fear was that 75% of the people would fail and we would have no one to work). If anyone has seen the movie Knocked Up, where they look up registered sex offenders online, and Paul Rudd makes the comment: "It looks like your computer has chicken pox," that would apply to this town. Let's not even get started on the meth labs in the area. For a city of only 30k people, the number of violent crimes committed every year is approximately the same as the cities of Lubbock or Amarillo, which have populations of approx. 300K. There is something wrong with this and if you ponder, will make you severely question your decision of joining the service.

My frame of mind is this:
    There are almost no decent paying jobs with benefits available in the country (or at least within 10 hours driving time of me). I have a wife and kid to support and the service is offering guaranteed health care, salary pay, and a ladder for promotion. On top of that, its a paid ticket out of this place. Joining the service is a great idea if you are in any kind of position similar to mine. So if you are going to join, why not be a part of a brotherhood, not just some subordinate someone can use to further their career (Army--AF). Be part of the best.

Plus you will get to travel the world and paid to do it!

Thread Information