"how do I get back in" Sgt and below - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Ssgt. Petz. I was wondering if you know what all I would need to do to reenlist into the Reserves (the PSR checklist you talked about). I was a Lcpl. I have an Honorable discharge with an RE-3p for unwavered hearing loss and tinitus upon entry "Medical Discharge". "MEPS didn't catch it". I just turned 29 yrs old Oct 7th. I've been off Active Duty since 02/2000. I have had no disability, or benefits awarded to me. All I have is my DD-214, and all of my medical record. I live in Utah. I am a Wildland Firefighter, and it is very physical, and do hearing tests every year as well. I havn't had any proems there!

I thought it was a lost cause after talking to a couple of PSR's. The last one told me it was impossible because my "term of service agreement was up". ????? But then I talked to a local recruiter here, and he said all he thought needed to be done was to change my RE code and get a waiver.

If that is true, how do I go about changing my RE code?

Can I do it myself? Or does a Recruiter have to do it?

What all would I need (paperwork), to go about changing it?

Does the Jan 10th date apply to Reserves as well?

Thanks for all of your time, and support Staff Sergeant! Oorah....

Quote Originally Posted by elliscraig12 View Post
    O.K. I missed that part. I'm 45.
    I apologize for missing your question Ssgt. I take it I'm to old.

No disrespect, but I believe you can go into the Army National Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    No disrespect, but I believe you can go into the Army National Guard.
    No disrespect taken. Thanks for your time.

EAS was July 2009. 22 years old, RE-1a, E-4. From what I've ready I should begin a package with recruiters so that when Jan 2010 comes they can send it up? What are my chances of keeping my MOS(0311), returning to my previous unit(1/4), and keeping my rank? I apologize if most of this information has been covered.

No disrespect taken. Thanks for your time.
    I have been speaking with an Army Recruiter and starting the process of enlisting in the Army Reserve. No offense meant to any Marine, but this recruiter has been 10 times better than any Marine Corps Prior Service Recruiter I spoke/dealt with. He calls me with updates when he gets them, returns my phone calls and e-mails, and has generally put forth a lot of effort. The Army Recruiter is also acting much more professional towards me and not treating me like garbage.

The USMC PS Recruiters I dealt with never called me, didn't return phone calls or emails, and pretty much didn't want to do anything to help me or help my process. He wasn't on top of things and was pretty lazy.

My experience with the USMC Prior Service Recruiter was pretty depressing. I like to think the words "Semper Fi" mean something......I didn't see that in my experience.

Again, no offense meant to any Marines or Recruiters. This is just my experience and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by fjmas1976 View Post
    I have been speaking with an Army Recruiter and starting the process of enlisting in the Army Reserve. No offense meant to any Marine, but this recruiter has been 10 times better than any Marine Corps Prior Service Recruiter I spoke/dealt with. He calls me with updates when he gets them, returns my phone calls and e-mails, and has generally put forth a lot of effort. The Army Recruiter is also acting much more professional towards me and not treating me like garbage.

The USMC PS Recruiters I dealt with never called me, didn't return phone calls or emails, and pretty much didn't want to do anything to help me or help my process. He wasn't on top of things and was pretty lazy.

My experience with the USMC Prior Service Recruiter was pretty depressing. I like to think the words "Semper Fi" mean something......I didn't see that in my experience.

Again, no offense meant to any Marines or Recruiters. This is just my experience and opinion.
    I had a simular experience. You'd think after 10 yrs of honorable service they'd listen. They wouldn't give me the time of day.

I had a simular experience. You'd think after 10 yrs of honorable service they'd listen. They wouldn't give me the time of day.
    I was really disapointed. I would much rather had them say they couldn't help instead of minimum effort and treating me like i have the plague

How do I get back in!!!!!!!! I haven't stuck it in my wife for ohhhhhhhh so long I need to get the juices flowing again, any darn advice is super duper appreciated

I am going to assume that if I get my entire packet together, to include all forms, photo, and other required paperwork..it would make it that much more appealing for a PSR to work with me.

Any comments or personal experiences with this tactic?

haven't been on in a bit, unfortunately yes you are too old unless you served 16 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchell View Post
    Ssgt. Petz. I was wondering if you know what all I would need to do to reenlist into the Reserves (the PSR checklist you talked about). I was a Lcpl. I have an Honorable discharge with an RE-3p for unwavered hearing loss and tinitus upon entry "Medical Discharge". "MEPS didn't catch it". I just turned 29 yrs old Oct 7th. I've been off Active Duty since 02/2000. I have had no disability, or benefits awarded to me. All I have is my DD-214, and all of my medical record. I live in Utah. I am a Wildland Firefighter, and it is very physical, and do hearing tests every year as well. I havn't had any proems there!

I thought it was a lost cause after talking to a couple of PSR's. The last one told me it was impossible because my "term of service agreement was up". ????? But then I talked to a local recruiter here, and he said all he thought needed to be done was to change my RE code and get a waiver.

If that is true, how do I go about changing my RE code?

Can I do it myself? Or does a Recruiter have to do it?

What all would I need (paperwork), to go about changing it?

Does the Jan 10th date apply to Reserves as well?

Thanks for all of your time, and support Staff Sergeant! Oorah....
    you want to PM NoRemorse about getting your RE code changed, he's the resident know it all about that since he went through it.

after that it's true that it's nothing more than a waiver and a PSEP package. You can do AD after jan '10 but it'll go fast and your paperwork probably won't be done by then, but reserves has way more openings than that. That PSR must be an idiot as they can write guys who've fallen off contract just like a normal recruiter, though I think he didn't want to do the extra leg work.

keep me posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinblueline81 View Post
    I am going to assume that if I get my entire packet together, to include all forms, photo, and other required paperwork..it would make it that much more appealing for a PSR to work with me.

Any comments or personal experiences with this tactic?

most of everything needs to be done by the PSR anyways, best thing you can do it be clean shaven, wear appropriate civilian attire and be ready to run a PFT on the spot when you show up.

Anyone have a list of places the package goes through? My PSR told me but It was confusing on where and why it goes to those places. He says that it could be kicked back for any stupid reason including having an ugly mug in the photo, and to expect at least one kickback anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    you want to PM NoRemorse about getting your RE code changed, he's the resident know it all about that since he went through it.

after that it's true that it's nothing more than a waiver and a PSEP package. You can do AD after jan '10 but it'll go fast and your paperwork probably won't be done by then, but reserves has way more openings than that. That PSR must be an idiot as they can write guys who've fallen off contract just like a normal recruiter, though I think he didn't want to do the extra leg work.

keep me posted on your progress.

That's what I thought! Outstanding..... I appreciate all of your help Ssgt. Will do. Semper Fi, and Happy Turkey Day!

Thread Information