"how do I get back in" Sgt and below - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    That's the thing. I already got my conditional release and it already expired! They gave me 3 months to turn it in. Well they gave me 6 mos to do it but it too almost 3 mos to get back from 4mardiv. Also I received the eod checksheet completed after my interview,do I turn that in with my package or do I give it to my career planner? Thanks for the help

you need to explain to them that the process can take up to two years and they need to make it longer.

either they let you go or they only give you a window.....

I dealt with my reserve command the same way... I had to drop to the IRR to get a conditional release that wouldn't expire.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    It's because they know Sgts and below are being put on hold while the Corps is so overfull.

I'd suggest maybe going for O-1... they are still in high demand and I think as long as you are willing to go through a boot camp'esque environment again you will suceed.

it's probably your fastest route back in, and the money will be MUCH higher since you already got 4 years in...
    How difficult would it be to go for the reserves, if I was looking at a different MOS?

you need to explain to them that the process can take up to two years and they need to make it longer.

either they let you go or they only give you a window.....

I dealt with my reserve command the same way... I had to drop to the IRR to get a conditional release that wouldn't expire.

Do you know of any maradmin thats says that augmenting marines from reserve to active is closed right now?

Quote Originally Posted by samthomas View Post
    How difficult would it be to go for the reserves, if I was looking at a different MOS?

basically you go talk to the Prior Service recruiter at the unit you are thinking about going to (pick the closest one) and they will provide you with opportunities that they can offer for other MOSs they rate... there are also other units in the "area" that will rate other jobs as well... just, keep in mind... only Sgts and below get this option if they are coming off of AD... well, not directly off of AD... but you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubadvr1999 View Post
    Do you know of any maradmin thats says that augmenting marines from reserve to active is closed right now?
    there never are MarAdmin... it's a command thing... MCRC is a command with all subordinate commands beneath them.... the commandant has no say as to where they will get that 1,000 people to fill billets.

but I did hear a rumor they are allowing prior reservists to augment to AD but not prior AD Sgt and below.

After the disappointment of being left out in the cold til January, I'm looking at other routes back in.

I talked with the Prior Service recruiter at Lejeune, and fortunately there are billets he thinks he can get me in for IMA and other Active Reserve roles without signing a contract, leaving me more available to submit a package for augmentation back into regular Active Duty.

Do you have any more information of programs like this SSgt?

no, I don't... but have your package submitted prior to you going on those programs... I'm hearing tell of a large opening for PSEP... it's rumor, can't be confirmed but jan '10 could be a good time to have your package already submitted and waiting at the RS level....

those billets are good to go... just, as I said... have your dd-368 done... don't extend or sign a new contract as you may run into a situation like I did.... my 368 expired but my recruiter didn't know I extended so to them it was a non-issue... but my package got kicked back by MCRC because of not having it.

you need to ensure that if you get word while in that billet you can walk away and take the AD orders... and get it in writing as word from a SNCO isn't always going to be enough... not that they would lie to you.

Quote Originally Posted by samthomas View Post
    I am 31, and have been out for 8 years. I separated as a Cpl, after 4 years. I am married, and have 2 children. I was an 0311, but wouldn't want to go back as that. Since separating, I have earned a B.A./M.A... While the thought of going back in is nice, I get less traction with the recruiter than the thisisrandy fellow who is trying to enlist.
    I think you should try O.C.S. As your a smart man who bettered himself.I would try there if you can get back in.

no, I don't... but have your package submitted prior to you going on those programs... I'm hearing tell of a large opening for PSEP... it's rumor, can't be confirmed but jan '10 could be a good time to have your package already submitted and waiting at the RS level....
    My package was submitted in July, am I to assume that it just got kicked back to the recruiters and the onus is on me to have them resubmit it prior to Jan?

those billets are good to go... just, as I said... have your dd-368 done... don't extend or sign a new contract as you may run into a situation like I did.... my 368 expired but my recruiter didn't know I extended so to them it was a non-issue... but my package got kicked back by MCRC because of not having it.
    Haven't heard of a DD-368. Also, my original (8 year) contract is set to expire in late January, what should I do in the event my contract expires before I get a response on my PSEP? Not sure of the relevance if I'm in an IMA billet.

you need to ensure that if you get word while in that billet you can walk away and take the AD orders... and get it in writing as word from a SNCO isn't always going to be enough... not that they would lie to you.
    So I'm taking that as: Have you PSEP submitted, go for an IMA billet, but ensure that I'm not under any obligation to remain at that billet if/when I receive AD orders. Does that just about sum things up?

Thanks a lot SSgt.

Quote Originally Posted by DataRetread View Post
    My package was submitted in July, am I to assume that it just got kicked back to the recruiters and the onus is on me to have them resubmit it prior to Jan?

Haven't heard of a DD-368. Also, my original (8 year) contract is set to expire in late January, what should I do in the event my contract expires before I get a response on my PSEP? Not sure of the relevance if I'm in an IMA billet.

So I'm taking that as: Have you PSEP submitted, go for an IMA billet, but ensure that I'm not under any obligation to remain at that billet if/when I receive AD orders. Does that just about sum things up?

Thanks a lot SSgt.

1) it was either not sent up because june was the no Sgt and below and is still sitting there on their desk or yes it was kicked back... you don't need to worry about making them resubmit it... just call in december reminding them of your package... Then follow up often in janurary.

2) if your 8 years is up in feb '10 then you'd probably have to extend a bit for certain IMA billets or something... make sure you get a new DD-368 (conditional release form from MOBCOM so MCRC can work with you since they aren't your current command) with you new contract expiration date on it in case it takes longer than feb xx 2010 to be reviewed... my package was viewed and kicked back by the board because of the DD-368 was expired... don't miss out 'cause of that... either let yourself fall off contract or have that updated if you extend. your recruiter can get you more info.

3) yes.... that is correct, but I can only say good luck.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    As of this afternoon, the word that I got from a Marine Corps Recruiting Office is that joining now or trying to get back in now would be difficult at this time. By now I mean becoming active now and/or being sent to MCRD as a recruit now. There seemed to be a little latitude for entry but that to was based, in part, on availability, MOS., OCS., etc.
    I asked the National Guard Office about new entries and was told that they aren't accepting applicants at this time as per orders. Everyone seems totally "booked up" for now.
    Please keep in mind that my inquiries were casual in nature and the responses seemed to reflect the same.

like I said.... jan '10... but the opening up is looking like this fiscal year... and the attrition rate for first termers is enormous this year... expect to have openings JAN OF 2010.

and again... it's hear-say... rumors... scuttle-butt.....

but have faith.

lthe attrition rate for first termers is enormous this year... .
    Is this more than normal than previous years?

yes... and by previous I mean the last few years...

they are going to be forcing a lot of Marines out due to MOS overages... many will get out because of not wanting to do it... an example is STW... and then they will also want to keep people coming in fresh so the ranks don't stop up so you'll see some MOSs have fewer boat spaces...

they can't have everyone stay in... then we'd have no junior Marines... they will however take PSEPs if you qualify... there will be shortages in NCOs as there always seem to be....

stay positive.

Thread Information