Help Nick Leotti
Create Post

Help Nick Leotti

I just got word from a friend of mine who's working in Afghanistan as a contractor that they're trying to raise money to help his co-worker, a Marine, named Nick Leotti. Nick was involved in that recent helicopter crash which left the Marine OIF Veteran burned over 70% of his body.

Nick is currently under going treatment in Tampa. If you could please send anything you can such as cards, etc...(No flowers due to infection) to help boost his spirits that would be great.

Semper Fi

Nick Leotti
    Tampa General Hospital
    Burn ICU Room 606
    1 Tampa General Circle
    Tampa, FL 33606

A picture of Nick

Bump...

I recently got an update from Nicks brother on another website that I posted this on,,,

Thanks everyone for all the kind words, and the cards, and pictures, etc. Nick is doing well. Eventually we'll be setting up a website so all his friends overseas can get the regular updates without having to wait on word passing through the grapevine. For now, his status is thus:
    He was burned, 3rd deg, over about 70percent of his body. Imagine wearing a flight helmet, goggles, and a vest, basically he was burned pretty much everywhere not covered. He lost his right leg below the knee, left arm below the elbow, and all the digits on his right hand. The rest of his hand and the muscles of his thumb are doing well, but by no means out of the woods. He lost about 80% of his triceps muscle on the left arm, and a small portion of his bicep on the same side.

We were told his face was burned 3rd deg, but he's growing back a full mustache, and most of his sideburns and beard, so we've just gotta wait and see. His eyes are intact, as are his eyelids, eyebrows, ears and manhood. Honestly, his face looks great, all things considered. He had a trachaeostomy, and was breathing on a ventilator, but they've got it turned off more than half the time, letting him get used to breathing on his own again. They put in a valve so he'll be able to learn to talk with this trach. in, but it'll be a bit before he's strong enough to communicate effectively. He has been able to nod and shake his head when he's been cognizant enough to do so, and communication has been difficult, but he has unequivocally expressed that he does have the desire and determination to pull through his situation.

Please, those who can, keep the cards and prayers coming. Specifically, if people could pray for his hand and tricep holding together, that would be huge for his recovery potential. Anyone who wants to visit will be more than welcome once he is more stable and the risk of infection is not so critical. We're looking at roughly another month or so before Nick can be declared anything to close to "out of the woods." Once there, we've been informed there are over 800 marines, including a general, at a local base that want to come see him. The support from all over the country and the world that Nick and his family have been getting from people that don't even know us has been overwhelming. Again, we don't know what to say but thank you, and keep it up!

God bless,
    Dominic Leotti

hey wookie

hey wookie,
    no problem--gonna go to the precinct house and get some goodies for nick--great job brotha! take care!

fastco6plt
    Rocky
    NYPD K-9

Nice job, Rocky! Hope you're feeling better yourself. You are a good man, Semper Fi Marine -- be safe out there bro.

just did a search... he's not a Marine... is he a contractor who was in the Marine Corps?

MOL would show him until he's off contract....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I cried cause I had no Boots Till I saw a Man with no Feet,I'll send something out too Your Buddy Nick S/F Jack

Sending a note and a book to Nick. I sure hope he's doing well

GySgt Dan Canipe, USMC (Ret)

Copied and pasted from another website:

For all who are interested, here is Nick's website .

From here on out, that'll be Nick central until he's out of the hospital. When I saw him yesterday, he was in great spirits. He has been breathing on his own for almost a week now, and they attached a valve to his tracheostomy tube so that he can talk. The nurses say he's perfected swearing with the valve in.

Again, thanks, and keep the prayers up. Bless you all!

Dominic

I got an update today, thought I would share.

Semper Fi

Nick Leotti currently has an infection and is heavily sedated. He has been confined to an 8’x10’ ICU room within the Tampa General Hospital Burn Center for roughly 6 months and is in need of a big morale boost. That said, anyone who knew Nick prior to the accident and spent time with him abroad in Iraq, Thailand or elsewhere are asked to send accounts of any stories, pictures, etc…. If you didn’t know Nick prior you can contribute by sending any appropriate items that you think would help to boost his morale and occupy his time during his hospitalization such as notes cards etc... The website below provides updates and information on Nick’s status. Please take the time to read up on Nick’s history and current condition if you haven’t already. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Nick’s father Ed on a couple of occasions to date and I can tell you that he has been by Nick’s side almost daily from the point Nick arrived CONUS despite living and working a considerable distance from Tampa General Hospital. Ed has been a truly an amazing father and person through the course of this tragic event.. I would ask that everyone contribute what they can and keep Nick, Ed, and the Leotti family in their thoughts and prayers.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nickleotti

Sincerely,

Anthony Valusek
    WPPS LPMO
    U.S. Training Center, Inc.

Sad news, think I'll send over a letter to him

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mike,
    I never saw this thread before.