If you were inspected by yesterday's Marine, would they approve of what you wear?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question If you were inspected by yesterday's Marine, would they approve of what you wear?

If you were inspected by yesterday's Marine, would they approve of what you wear?
    Cpl. Rebekka S. Heite

Marines are considered an elite military organization by many.

We are the few and the proud. We work hard, and play even harder.

That was the vision I had of a Marine before I joined the Marine Corps and all throughout recruit training.

I thought I was joining an elite group and in many respects I still believe I have.

However, during my four years, I have noticed a downhill trend in compliance with Marine Corps regulations in regards to civilian attire.

Going through boot camp, my platoon was told that even our civilian clothing should be on-par with our service uniforms.

True Marines don't wear tank tops or short shorts, according to my drill instructors.

Yet, at the PX and Commissary, I see female Marines wearing both and even more questionable attire.

It's not only the female Marines shrugging off civilian attire standards.

I don't care to see what type of boxers guys are wearing or not wearing because your pants are below your waistline.

I don't expect you to wear shirt-stays in civilian attire or even to tuck in every shirt, but if we expect female Marines to cover themselves, I think male Marines can do the same.

As Marines we need to adhere to Marine Administrative Messages that maintain the proper standards for civilian attire.

Why else would the Commandant of the Marine Corps send out a message making the wearing our service utilities, out-in-town, against regulations except in cases of emergency, if not to separate us from the rest?

Apparently, Marines seem to think Marine Corps Orders are just suggestions, because I see Marines everyday dropping off and picking up their child(ren) at an out-in-town daycare in their service utilities. When MCO P1020.34G specifically states, "enroute stops while off base are not authorized except in bonafide emergencies," while in service utilities.

More often than not, they aren't even wearing their covers as they walk to and from the building to their car.

Marine Corps orders and regulations set the standard that defines us as Marines.

If we are going to consider ourselves an elite group, we need to start holding ourselves to these higher standards.

Yes, it is hot in Japan, but do a few missing inches of fabric make it that much cooler?

Yes, it is a pain to get up and get dressed in civilian attire to drop off your child(ren) at daycare only to change into your uniform once you get to work.

And while, the other services are allowed to go out-in-town in their utilities, we are Marines.

We need to get back to adhering to Marine Corps standards.

If you were inspected by Maj. Gen. Smedley D. Butler, would he be able to find you guilty of being out of clothing regulations?

Ellie

nice post... I agree with this whole-heartedly.

Dress standards have really slipped from when I was active. Used to be if you went to town and wore civlian the shirt had to have a collar.

Ever hear the term, "Raggedy Assed Marines." Check your history back to WWII, Guadalcanal.
    The guys at 8th and I are paid to look and march pretty.
    In the FMF we were paid to fight. I think that's still the standard.
    I was inspected by MOH winner Gen. David M. Shoup, one mean Marine, when he commanded the 3rd MarDiv on Okinawa. It was about 100 degrees, our khakis (look up khakis) were soaked with sweat. He thought we were fine because the 9th Marines was the toughest outfit in the Far East. That was what we were paid to do.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
    Why else would the Commandant of the Marine Corps send out a message making the wearing our service utilities, out-in-town, against regulations except in cases of emergency, if not to separate us from the rest?

Apparently, Marines seem to think Marine Corps Orders are just suggestions, because I see Marines everyday dropping off and picking up their child(ren) at an out-in-town daycare in their service utilities. When MCO P1020.34G specifically states, "enroute stops while off base are not authorized except in bonafide emergencies," while in service utilities.
    This is incorrect.
    It is a security issue to be wearing your cammies out in town.

You are allowed to wear cammies when dropping off children at daycare.
    As to the proper wear of a cover, that falls on the personal discipline of the Marine in question.

Someone needs to wake that Cpl. up.
    If she wants something done it needs to start with her.

I don't dress like a slob, but it isn't 1960 and the USMC needs to realize that.
    I get the particular feeling that most of the USMC doesn't pay attention when they do the Terrorism Awareness MCI.

Quote Originally Posted by kentmitchell View Post
    Ever hear the term, "Raggedy Assed Marines." Check your history back to WWII, Guadalcanal.
    The guys at 8th and I are paid to look and march pretty.
    In the FMF we were paid to fight. I think that's still the standard.
    I was inspected by MOH winner Gen. David M. Shoup, one mean Marine, when he commanded the 3rd MarDiv on Okinawa. It was about 100 degrees, our khakis (look up khakis) were soaked with sweat. He thought we were fine because the 9th Marines was the toughest outfit in the Far East. That was what we were paid to do.
    I agree completely.
    But on the same side of that, the quote muttered by so many LCpls: "No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection" is used to justify far to many lapses in discipline and uniform standards.

The Fleet isn't Boot Camp.
    If you want it to be, go to the Drill Field and don't come back.

There was (is) a post somewhere that I already answered in regard to civilian dress. Times have changed, but not Marine Corps standards. Without getting really involved in a long explaination and trying to justify my logic, let's make it simple:

We are Marines! We looks sharp in our uniforms and take extreme pride in our appearance. Our civilian appearance should reflex the same standard. If not, you have fallen short of your goal to measure up.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Marine - I remember the days when the DNCO woulde not give a Liberty Card to anyone who didn't have a haircut and proper dress. Should one slip by, the MPs woulde not let them out the gate. Those days have passed us by...good-bad?..I don't know...What I do know is that Marines should have personal pride in their appearance, work, and attitude; and that is both on and off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Dress standards have really slipped from when I was active. Used to be if you went to town and wore civlian the shirt had to have a collar.
    And, your shirt had to be tucked in, and you had to wear a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    And, your shirt had to be tucked in, and you had to wear a belt.
    And the DNCO made sure of this or you did not get your LIBERTY CARD.

that's just it... no more liberty cards.

I agree that our civies could be modernized a bit, I still think females should wear more conservative clothing... low-cut shirts are probably the only thing you can find now-a-days... but it can have sleeves, the shorts can be half-way down her thigh... it doesn't need to be just under her butt cheek.

the guys can have cloths that fix, and when possible have a collar but other than that, keep it from looking eccentric in nature... regardless of style.

I can't make you buy certain civilian attire, but I can make you wear your service uniform off base...

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    . the shorts can be half-way down her thigh... it doesn't need to be just under her butt cheek.

Hey whats wrong with that, unless there up there in pounds...lol

because... even though I'd probably be guilty of staring at them... we're trying to maintain a level of civilian clothing conservatism. if a guy can't show his ass with baggy pants then a girl can't show her ass from too short pants.

I prefer classy of slutty any day personnally.

But yeah, there are plenty of places a girl can go is she wants to dress like a skank. The PX doesn't have to be one. Same for guys though. Nice jeans and a clean shirt shouldn't be too much to ask.

of course it could sir!!! why would we do laundry in the Marine Corps?!

but it's hard to police kids when not in uniform... and when I say hard I mean... them getting lippy and trying to point something out about you... then you need to pound their face in....

Thread Information