USS Jason Dunham to be Christened this Weekend
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Posted By: a a 3 hrs ago

BATH, Maine (AP) -- The Navy's newest destroyer bears a name that's familiar to Marines. The ship that'll be christened on Saturday at Bath Iron Works bears the name of Cpl. Jason Dunham, a Marine who jumped on a grenade to save his comrades in 2004 in Iraq.

Dunham's parents, Deb and Dan Dunham, will be at the Maine shipyard along with other Marines who served with him in Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines.

Dunham, who's from Scio earned the Medal of Honor for his actions on April 14, 2004. His unit was searching a line of cars for insurgents when he was attacked by one of them. His last words were a warning: "Watch his hand!" Dunham covered the grenade with his Kevlar helmet and his body. Two fellow Marines survived. Dunham died eight days later.

I am glad they are honoring Dunham in such a way, but I wish it was a amphib vessel to carry the name.

That motivates the hell out of me. SF Brother

What a great way to honor our fallen brother. SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Another fine Marines name will live forever! Semper Fi!

Dave

Fair seas and following winds to her.

Fitting way to honor such a sacrafice. A Marine protects his brothers and now his name is on a Destroyer. Semper Fi my brother and God bless you and your family.

It is an honor to read this. I just did a warrior study on Cpl Dunham. His story gives me chills. SF

Thread Information