Bush administration asks judge to deny damage award to former Iraqi POWs - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In this case I support the POWs claims, not the wives and children's claim. The wifes and children from 9/11 were taken care of by the means made available by the govt and private agencies . I personally know two of them and the system took care of them well. The widows and children from the hold up three months ago are also taken of by various funds: ie special Dept of Justice Fund, most agencies have death benefits also private groups such as Marine Corps Scholarhship Fund and the Fraternal Order of Police are a big help.
    Don't get me wrong deaths and injury in both the military and law enforcement suck and no amount of money will make it better.
    But in this case the law allowed for the payment for the toture. Again it is the funds from Saddam that are being used not U.S. Govt funds.
    It is hard to live by the rule of law rather than the rule of man, because many times it will break your heart. But our country was set up under the premise of the rule of law, by James Madison, Tom Jefferson and the rest.

How do I get my Chevrons (Sgt) on my profile?

bubbar,

Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
    We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
    Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

To place your rank in.....

Under user cp (Top of Page) click on edit options....
    on the bottom you will see avatars...click on more info....choose your rank...
    then click on submit modifications.....

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger

drifter thanks for the clue on the chevrons it worked. This looks like an outstanding site. I look forward to hanging out.
    Semper Fi
    Bubbar

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I have promised to read the documents referred to in previous posts, and I will, and, naturally, I will have some additional comments to make.

I assume I will be reading tear-jerking tales of past horror stories of hurt, pain, and anguish. "I missed him so much, my children missed their daddy and that's why I feel entitled to 10 million dollars while my husband is entitled to 35 million."

I would suggest that all parties concerned visit a VA Hospital's Vegetable Garden on visitor's day. Pick and choose who you would like to trade places with, child for child, wife for wife, vet for vet.

One of the 17 POWs is now a co-pilot for a commercial airline. I could probably find thousands of vets wives who would gladly change places with his wife, and she could keep the 10 million she "earned" through her grief.

One argument that has been advanced is that it is NOT the US government who is paying, but the Iraqi government.

I wasn't aware that a government has ANY money, except that which it collects from its citizens. In that event, it is ALL of the Iraqi citizens paying for the excesses of a few.

It's not OUR money paying the 1 billion?

American citizens are paying for our activities and expenses in Iraq. Hopefully, through the sale of their oil, Iraqi citizens will begin paying for the ongoing reconstruction of their country. Until then, you and I will be paying for it.

Will we ever be reimbursed? Do you seriously think you will receive a check or a tax credit as reimbursement from the Iraqis?

Impounded Iraqi money is earmarked to begin paying reconstruction costs. If that money did not, or does not exist, it would have to be provided by US.

It's not a question of whether we think it is right or wrong. IT WILL HAPPEN!.

I believe that if One Billion Dollars is added to the Iraqi reconstruction costs, that money should be shared by ALL disabled U.S. veterans and their families, and NOT restricted to 17 vets and their families.

(I'm also looking forward to reading the reports of the on-going disabilities of the 17 vets, and the current psychiatric treatment of them and their families.) (Particularly that of the air-line co-pilot.)

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have to agree with firstsgtmike on this one - but I also have to ask a question?

Can anyone find any records of court cases against Japan and Germany by WWII POWs - even those from the Bataan Death March? I think not.

While I agree that we must be certain and sure in our care of those who have served this country - I am getting the feeling that this is another case of Shakespeare - The first thing we do, we kill all the lawyers.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I read the pleading, the decision, the Government's pleading and the decision on that too.

Yes, as expected, the case read like a horror story. But no more so than POW experiences in Nam or Iran.

The charges were uncontested, possibly because of the 31 March 2003 deadline for the submission of a response and Saddam had other things on his mind at the time.

I found several items of interest:

Four of 21 POWs chose not to get inolved in the lawsuit.

3 POWs, captured for SEVEN DAYS each were awarded $10 million, or $1 million, four hundred fifty thousand per DAY.

Other prisoners who sued Iran, one held captive for almost 5 YEARS, were awarded $ten thousand per day.

At least two of the POWs are still on Active Duty.

One, diagnosed with PTSD in 1992 stayed on Active Duty until he retired in 1998.

Three others also remained on active duty until they had the time in to retire.

A current airlines pilot was awarded $28 million for his pain, suffering, and disabilities.

One has a VA Disability Rating of 40%. He and his family were awarded almost $40 million, or $1 million for each point of disability rating.

The longest time in captivity for any of the 17 was 47 days.

The Government did not contest the awards, but claimed that the confiscated Iraqi funds could only be used for the reconstruction of Iraqi. The court agreed.

The POWs won one and lost one. I don't see a groundswell of public opinion holding marches to influence Washington so that the wives who missed their husbands would receive $10 million each.
    ---------------------
    "The wifes and children from 9/11 were taken care of by the means made available by the govt and private agencies . I personally know two of them and the system took care of them well. The widows and children from the hold up three months ago are also taken of by various funds: ie special Dept of Justice Fund, most agencies have death benefits also private groups such as Marine Corps Scholarhship Fund and the Fraternal Order of Police are a big help."
    ---------------------------------

I stand by and repeat all of the posts I have made on this subject, for the reasons I have already given.

These POWs, as countless others before them have been, should be "taken care of by the means made available by the govt and private agencies."

I don't believe in singling out one group of deserving vets from other catagories of equally deserving vets. Ditto, one group of wives, widows, or children.

The pain and suffering of the 17 "multi-millionaire" POWs began 12 years ago. There are impoverished Nam vets and POWs whose pain and suffering began THIRTY SIX years ago.

"If their case is based upon moral grounds and not pure greed, then I suggest they donate the "award" to the VA to increase the benefits paid to ALL veterans with physical or emotional disabilities. "

Thread Information