"Gunny"...appropriate for recruiter?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

"Gunny"...appropriate for recruiter?

My recruiter was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant a few weeks back and now when I talk to him I say Gunnery Sergeant ___ ________, however his last name is 3 syllables so it takes forever to just say his name. Other poolee's typically just say "Gunny ______" but I don't know if that's something that's appropriate or not. I know it's a nickname but is it too "friendly" and not enough respect or does it not matter?

Thanks Poolees.

- Poolee Hartford

From what I have heard from Marines the term "Gunny" is a not a nickname, but an honorary name, used when talking to a Gunnery Sergeant, that shows respect for his time and dedication to the Corps. I have also heard of some Gunnery Sergeants who don't like being called "Gunny" because they feel undermined because they work hard and it was not easy to achieve that rank thus they feel it is not fair for others to take an easy way out when addressing them. The way I look at it is I call them Gunnery Sergeant at all times, that way if they feel like its over doing it, they will let me know to just keep it at "Gunny". If they don't say anything, then they probably appreciate me calling them by their official rank. Also, I have heard that during boot camp it would be suicide to call a Gunnery Sergeant a "Gunny".

Last edited by duarte; 07-28-09 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar

Our main recruiter was recently promoted to Gunnery Sergeant as well. We were informed to never call him Gunny, as we are not Marines and don't rate it yet. The only ones I hear call him Gunny are the Staff Sergeants. Be safe and use the full rank. Out of respect and safety, hehe.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Can Marines post in this forum too now or is it still only Poolees?

I'm going to keep saying Gunnery Sergeant for now until he tells me to use Gunny. He is my main recruiter (first recruiter I talked to at the RSS) but have a more professional relationship with him than some of the other recruiters who tend to let loose more around the poolees while he is typically rather serious.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    We have a Gunnery Sergeant in our office too. At first I called him Gunnery Sergeant, but everyone else (recruiters and poolees) call him Gunny, and he doesn't seem to object, so I call him Gunny as well. This Marine, however, is a pretty relaxed about these sort of things so I would definitely defer to Gunnery Sergeant when addressing other Gunnery Sergeants.

Out of respect, unless I was informed otherwise I would always refer to a Gunnery Sergeant by their full rank.

Recruiters who are Gunnery Sergeants may choose to allow their poolees to refer to them as Gunny; that's their prerogative.

Marine Friend Free Member Cressler's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    It depends recruiter to recruiter I call our GySgt. Gunny becuase thats what he perfers to be called by though if I just ran into another GySgt. I'd never call them Gunny unless I was told it was alright to do so.

There are two Gunnery Sergeants in my old RSS who address themselves as Gunny over the phone and in person, so everyone there calls them Gunny. On the other hand, I ALWAYS refer to the Gunnery Sergeant in my OSO's office as Gunnery Sergeant, since I've never heard anyone call him gunny, besides the Capt.

Go with the flow of things and you will be fine.

We had a Gunnery Sergeant at our office who just left... he preffered to be called Gunny by poolees, and 'Guns' by Marines. That being said, we have another one that preffers to be called by his full Rank and name.
    Ask him what he preffers, it isn't that hard.

I always called ours by the full rank, only the Marines called him Gunny, and a few dumb *** poolee's who learned there lesson so afterword. Also wat JSam is a very good idea. It wont hurt to ask, you might have to push, but pain only lasts so long!

If HE says it's ok to call him "Gunny", then it's ok. If not, use the correct, full term. Other Marines will likely call him 'Gunny', but rate that, because they are Marines.

I would just ask him, because everyone has different views on the subject. Everyone at my RS called our Gunnery Sergeant just Gunny, and he was fine with it, but now he's in Okinowa.

I address mine as Gunny.

A common speaking slang is to say it more like gun-ree sar'nt. Its shorter, flows better, and acceptable. Lots of Marines I know say sergeant like that, especially with First Sergeants. Also, I would probably just ask, he won't care you're a Poolee and you have had no instruction, I doubt you'll get anything worse than the answer to your question. Better to ask then go around pretending you know the answer.

Everyone at my RSS calls our Gysgt 'gunny'. In fact the only people who address him by his full rank are privates and pfc's fresh from boot camp.

Thread Information