Marine Reserve
Create Post

Thread: Marine Reserve

Marine Reserve

My original ship date is 20091214, infantry, active duty. I want to leave early like now but there isnt any spots open. Today My recruiter told me a spot opened up. I had the option of leaving as early as next week but under one condition, I would have to serve for 6 years in Marine reserve, and I get a $20,000 sign in bonus. It is most certainly not about the money, but its a quicker opportunity for me to become an Marine and boy am I excited about that. My questions are when do i get the bonus, does the Marine Reserve pay for college, and can I switch to active duty after some period of time (under what or any circumstances). I would really appreciate it if somone helped me out.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am in the process of switching to active duty from reserves right now and its a pain in the A**!. Do not bother with being a reservist unless that was your intention from the beginning.

Your time will come to earn your title, stick to what you have going now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto1989 View Post
    My original ship date is 20091214, infantry, active duty. I want to leave early like now but there isnt any spots open. Today My recruiter told me a spot opened up. I had the option of leaving as early as next week but under one condition, I would have to serve for 6 years in Marine reserve, and I get a $20,000 sign in bonus. It is most certainly not about the money, but its a quicker opportunity for me to become an Marine and boy am I excited about that. My questions are when do i get the bonus, does the Marine Reserve pay for college, and can I switch to active duty after some period of time (under what or any circumstances). I would really appreciate it if somone helped me out.
    In regards to your questions...

1. Bonus is given at the completion of your MOS school, since it is for that specific MOS.

2. The GI Bill for Reserves provides assistance for education, however it is less money than Active. There is a change with the GI Bill coming in August, but how it is affecting the Reserves is unclear. If you're up North, many States provide education programs that offset the cost of school at State Colleges for Active Reservists.

3. Plan on honorable service in the Reserves for at least 2 years, prior to being approved for augmentation to the Active component.

Good luck with your decision... S/F

Last edited by GyC; 07-27-09 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling

would i have to serve an amount of time in the reserve in order to be eligible for the GI bill

would i have to serve an amount of time in the reserve in order to be eligible for the GI bill
    You must enlist into the 6x2 option, not 4x4... S/F

I see Thank You very much for your assistance

Also, in terms of education assistance in the Reserves, the REAP is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
    Also, in terms of education assistance in the Reserves, the REAP is the way to go
    REAP please explain

REAP please explain
    Google REAP Program... In order to qualify for it, you have to be called to Active Duty, which may not happen for you... S/F

Quote Originally Posted by GyC View Post
    Google REAP Program... In order to qualify for it, you have to be called to Active Duty, which may not happen for you... S/F
    Really? Hmmm, wasn't sure about that, I thought you didn't have to be activated for that, I swear the brief we just got last drill about this said activation was required only for the Post 9/11 one... I could be very wrong though.

Then again, it could very well be, I got activated 6 months into my contract so I've always had these options available to me while I was going to school.

What is your ultimate goal? To be Infantry in the Marine Corps, right? Do not try and pick the fastest way to bootcamp and get shafted at the end, go with your final goal. You can wait 4 Months, it's not that bad, time will fly when your not in school and what not. I was like you, I wanted to leave early, so I signed up early, at 17, as a reservist, I regret it almost everyday, luckily I got a 3536 contract out of it, and should be easier to switch active with those licenses, so I am thankful of that. I know you are all motivated to become a Marine, but have your end goal in mind first, 4 months is nothing compared to 6 years.

We had a guy come to 2 drills and then switch to active duty. Depends on your MOS and your unit really. Can take quite a long time like the GySgt said, or you might get lucky and get right in.

From my experience, and friends experiences...the bonuses did not come until you reported to your unit after MOS school and hounded them until they were aware that you had a bonus.

Someone correct me if i am wrong here, but your % of GI Bill money increases the more active duty months you have in service.

I was working with my old recruiter today and he said that there can now be no augments to active duty till at least January. I guess it is because of how the Marine Corps increased it's size so fast. Now everything is getting harder to do, the re-ups are going to be more difficult and they just made the min ASVAB score higher. Just wait and go active duty unless now your thinking you WANT to be a reservist and are happy with that.

Thread Information