Just got back from vacation!! Any questions?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Just got back from vacation!! Any questions?

Hey poolee's, I just made it back home from Parris Island. It was the toughest thing I've ever done but not so much because of the physical training, but the mental conditioning and the being away from the family and cut off from the world.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask or message me. Good luck to you!

Congratulations Marine. I have a question, what kind of shape were you in when you left and now when you graduated? And what do you recommend being at before shipping out to boot?

Credits
    Savings
    Fortunately, I've always been in good shape because of my athletics and my job (landscaping). I'm older though at 25, but I was still in better shape than many of the my fellow Marines I graduated with.

Before I shipped, I could do 18 pullups, 140 crunches and ran the 1 1/2 mile in 9:15 seconds.

When I left, my pullups actually DROPPED to 17 because ???? who knows. I worked out every 3rd day up there on my free time and did every single PT and they drorpped. I still can't figure it out.

My crunches went up to 170 and my 3 mile run time was 19:50.

Before you go, you need to be able to do the minimum or you'll get held back in the physicaly conditioning platoon (or pork chop platoon). And that will postpone graduation. We also had a kid that couldn't do 3 pull ups on the final PFT. He almost got dropped and cost us the PFT trophy (we CRUSHED the other platoons on our avg. score but boogered because this kid failed and you can't have any failures)

So MAKE SURE YOU CAN DO THE MINIMUM before you go. Hell, its the Marine Corps...do MORE than the minimum.

Fortunately I am involved with athletics, I play football. So I am in decent shape. I'm getting around 12 pull ups and 80 crunches, but I don't know my run time. Thanks for your answers. And one more question, when you say you worked out every third day, what do you mean by that?

Credits
    Savings
    During free time (usually an hour to an hour and a half each day) you get to read your mail, square away your gear, hygiene and fix whatever. Some (well most) DI's let you work out if you want. They have very basic weights like dumbells and some have curling bars. I used to work out doing pull ups, crunches, curls, and pushups every third day during this time. At least 20-30 minute work outs. It helped I guess but like I said, my pull ups went DOWN in bootcamp. No clue why...

Congratulations Marine!

Congrats Marine, welcome back!

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Sgt, Cpl! It feels GREAT! Now to get to work on pickin up LCpl at my R.A!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congratulations Marine and brother!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chadhertz View Post
    Fortunately I am involved with athletics, I play football. So I am in decent shape. I'm getting around 12 pull ups and 80 crunches, but I don't know my run time. Thanks for your answers. And one more question, when you say you worked out every third day, what do you mean by that?
    I was like you accept though I could bench over 325lbs as a senior outta high school playing either noseguard or middle or inside line backer since pee wee football althrough highschool and a year in college I could only mangage ten pull ups. Could not "kip". I went into the corps right after i tore abunch of stuff in my ankle so i bloated up to a 5'10 frame to 235 240lbs but i was young and always a football player and athelete. I lost over 75lbs while in boot camp at paris island and was not recycled one single day to pork chop platoon what we called it or "PCP" which stands for physical conditioning platoon. I spent every second from after receiving to graduation day with my original platoon of 3049 I Co.. Im proud of the fact that i was and forever will be a fatbody but i never gave up and never got recycled. even when i could out PT ANYONE in third phase i was called a "fat body". Hell we had a North Carolina Power lifting champion one of those strong man dudes as our guide and he was lumped in with us fat bodies also just because of weight ratio to height which is retarded because he was cast out of stone. Ofcourse years later i heard he got busted for steroid use somewhere in hawaii i think. The point is, the physical is hard. but not anything compared to the mental aspect. I went from barely passing the initial PFT mile and half cheezy run (mostly due to ankle) to my second year in while doing a yearly PFT in ITALY on a float i ran a 1715 three mile for my test and in each port i would run their 5k run for a cheezy tshirt. DONT SWEAT THE PHYSICAL. But tough it out. being recycles due to injury or weight is horrible though because its marking time and does not count towards your graduation date. the best way to not get recycled or placed in PCP OR MRP medical rehabilitation platoon is to be in good shape when you go in and be tough and not get injured.
    godspeed and semper fi

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you SSgt! Feels great to have made it!

As for crimsons post, he hit the nail on the head. Alot of guys in good shape get put in as fat bodies because their so big, not fat, but big, and once a fat body, always a fat body! We had a fat body that had like a 19:00 3 mile run time, and a high first class PFT. He didn't LOOK cut or stacked. He LOOKED fat but damn that boy could run and run and run and pull and pull and pull!!

Stay in good shape and be smart. Eat healthy there!! I'm telling you that is SO important! And make good friends with the guide and scribe so you can BS your way outta firewatch and get a good nights sleep! LOL I'm just messing with you on that one. Everyone should have firewatch lol

Eat healthy? I was under the impression that the cow at recruit training would be blended slop? Please enlighten me, is there real food?!

RogueSteel...you do realize that this thread is almost a year old, don't you?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    RogueSteel...you do realize that this thread is almost a year old, don't you?
    Oh God, I love it Lisa!!! Stay well and vigilant

Dan

I apologize, my lack of attention to detail will be corrected.

Thread Information