Devil coming down to Yuma: Charlie Daniels Band to play on station

7/23/2009 By Lance Cpl. Graham J. Benson , Marine Corps Air Station Yuma

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION YUMA, Ariz. —Country and southern rock music icon Charlie Daniels is scheduled to perform a free concert for Yuma Marines Aug. 6, 2009.

The concert is part of the “Spirit of America” tour, which brings headline entertainment to stateside military bases with the goal of boosting troop morale.

“Spirit of America” was responsible for bringing fellow country music star Aaron Tippin to Yuma in December 2008.

Daniels, in a career spanning more than 50 years, has become one of the most respected and recognizable names in country music. His 1979 hit “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” remains regularly played on country radio to this day.

Daniels has been an avid supporter of the troops in both Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, having performed for the troops overseas many times since the wars began.

“I’m so proud of the work they have done over there,” said Daniels. “The progress they have made the past couple of years is astounding.”

His visits to Iraq prompted him to write the song “When I Get Home From Iraq,” which he will perform when in Yuma.

“It’s a very special song to me,” said Daniels. “I wrote each verse on separate trips to Iraq, and I know that you guys will really be able to relate to it.”

Daniels has never performed in Yuma, although he is excited about the opportunity.

“I hope y’all are ready to have a good time, because I sure am ready to entertain you jarheads!” said Daniels.

Unlike the all-ages Aaron Tippin concert, which was held outdoors on the station parade field, this adults-only concert will be held at the Sonoran Pueblo.

“Obviously the heat is the reason for holding this one indoors,” said Roger Lopez, Marine Corps Community Services marketing director. “Since we aren’t going to be able to hold as many people, we have decided to make this an adults-only function.”

Seating for the show is first-come, first-served. Food will be served before the concert and drinks also be available throughout the performance.

Ellie