Vests 'not required': Safety experts change personal protective equipment standards for motorcycle riders

7/24/2009 By Sgt. Josh Cox , Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan —

The Corps’ Executive Safety Board held its 21st meeting last spring, announcing a change to motorcycle protective posture equipment requirements and eliminating color and reflectivity standards applicable to motorcycle outerwear.

The ESB, chartered to establish safety policy and guidance for the Marine Corps, meets several times per year to discuss safety issues like PPE.

The board consists of safety experts, general officers and senior leadership, often including the assistant commandant of the Marine Corps and sergeant major of the Marine Corps.

Marine Corps Order 5100.19E, Marine Corps Traffic Safety Program, will reflect the new change, among others, in an updated version of the order.

According to Marine Administrative Message 0364/09, “This message effectively eliminates the requirement to wear a ‘motorcycle vest’ during day or night, as well as any quantification of color or reflectivity requirements related to motorcycle outerwear. All other personal protective equipment requirements shall remain.”

Marines are still required to wear protective gloves, rubbersoled boots, a Department of Transportation-approved helmet and long-sleeved garments while riding.

One Marine here explained the importance of proper PPE from a chaotic personal perspective. Sgt. James Hardenbrook decided to take an exciting ride before going on a deployment to Iraq in 2005. On the way to a friend’s home, Hardenbrook comfortably accelerated in a familiar turn to experience a thrill only motorcycle enthusiasts can really appreciate — swift cornering.

“I thought I was going to take a nice sweeping left turn at about 50 miles per hour,” Hardenbrook said.

“Once I was up to about 50 mph I started going into the turn. Then the one thing I didn’t take into account (was) another car coming through the turn at the same time. I figured it was a back road and not a lot of people travel down it at 9 p.m., so I never thought twice about it.

“As I was going into the turn I saw a set of headlights coming toward me and realized a little too late that I was going a little fast for the lane I chose. When I tried to bring the bike back into my lane it drifted to close to the edge of the road and the front tire went off the edge, and the bike went sliding.

“As I was going down my helmet hit the edge of the pavement face first. The way I landed, it pulled the visor off the front of my helmet and I had marks starting at the chin and all the way to the back of my helmet.”

When Hardenbrook finally stopped rolling, his gloves were ripped on the palms and his jeans were completely ruined.

“After everything settled, the car drove right by without stopping,” Hardenbrook recalled. “I was left on the side of the road with a totaled bike that I had to pull out of a ditch and push about 50 yards to my friend’s house.”

The ESB discussed adding jackets to the required list of motorcycle PPE to enhance rider safety, but specific guidance has not been issued.

“I was not wearing a jacket that night, but I did have on my long-sleeve shirt,” Hardenbrook added.

“Needless to say, I would have traded that shirt for my jacket in a heartbeat.”

James Lowell, a Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider coach with the Station Safety Office here, said keeping a reflective vest handy while riding is still a smart idea.

A reflective vest would be useful in low-light conditions or inclement weather.

“I have always kept one in the back of the bike just in case I am out somewhere and it either rains or starts to get dark,” said Hardenbrook, who has been an avid motorcycle rider for six years.

“I like that the option is mine I do not like to wear the reflective vest, but I do think it could provide some extra visibility at night time, so I don’t mind wearing it then.”

Ellie