Marching, formation, etc.
Create Post

Marching, formation, etc.

I go to boot camp in 23 days and I don't feel like I'm doing everything I can to prepare. Is there any website or something that can show me things about formation and marching and how to use the guidon? I just want to feel as prepared as possible when I start boot camp.

From what I understand, all you have to make sure of is that you are physically in shape (scoring way higher than the minimums of the IST) and that you know your knowledge. Practice spouting off the 11 General Orders in different sequences while doing pullups. There should be no lapse, hesitation, or delay when reciting them. Try doing 1,7,3,9...in different orders. Other than that, the Drill Instructors will teach you all of the Drill & Ceremonies that you will need to know. If you really feel like you want to know more, be prepared to share all of that information with your platoon mates. It makes you look like a pompous ***hole when you know more than everyone else just so that you can have an edge over your fellow recruits to try for Distinguished Graduate. Be a team player. If you want to know more, see if your recruiter will set aside a half hour or so to do some basic D&C with you. If he has the time, he will teach you the basics which will be way more than enough.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah you really don't need to know D&C before bootcamp I've heard. They will teach you their way of doing it and as long as you have open ears and eyes you'll be fine. Practicing simple things like left/right face and marching to a cadence may help you but it's not necessary.

Don't attempt to learn drill now and learn it incorrectly. They will make sure you learn proper drill. As said before just learn your basic Marine knowledge and work on PT'ing and running.

My recruiter has been teaching me to drill with the rifle for a while now.

Marine Friend Free Member Cressler's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    were learning drill with our recruiters without rifles you dont need to do it but if you'd like to learn some basics so you dont look like a total cluster*&#* when you go down to bootcamp

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Honestly, my only worry about boot camp is that I know I am going to be towards the bottom of the fitness gradient in my platoon. I don't really care though; I can pass the IST, on which I have been improving, and so long as I'm motivated and try to compensate with knowledge, I'll be fine. If you can pass the IST and memorize your general orders before you go, then the only thing keeping you from earning the title is determination.

Yeah. Stick to knowledge, but I heard it wouldn't hurt to at least know the basics of Drilling and Ceremony. So 11 General Orders, Marine Corps core values, jj did tie buckle, Marine's Hymn, some basic Marine Corps history, and the Rifle's Creed is good too. That's what I have heard from Marines who came back from boot camp. By the way I threw those up in no particular order so it doesn't necessarily mean that one is more important than the other.

Thread Information