Your story of getting back in - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I finally reenlisted on 20090821 after a year of waiting and trial and error.
    I reenlisted for 3 years in SMCR/IRR and await mobilization order from MOBCOM to Afghanistan with 1MEF.

Here is my story:

I was medically retired with service connected injuries on 20061130 after 3 years of active duty service. After transferring to TDRL with 30%, I went to VA and got an combine disabled rating of 50%. After working for a private security consultant company for about 6 months, I applied for NYPD and got hire in 2007. Work as a police officer for over 2 years now, but something is missing. On my 18th months, I had a reevulation for my TDRL case. I went down to Bethesda, MD. I was able to show the doctor(s) that I am fully capable to carry out my duties and eager to go back into the service. Well, even though the doctors wrote a very nice evulations for me, three weeks afterwards, I received a letter from PEB stating that I will be transfer from TDRL to PDRL. I wrote a letter explaining that I am perfectly fit to carry out my duties as a Marine and my MOS. Shortly afterwards, I received another letter from PEB stating I've been granted to return to service on 20080801.

Since Aug 1st, 2008, I've been trying to come back into the Corps. It isn't easy as it sounded to be. People always think that all they have to do is get that "return to service" letter and the next day, they would reenlist. Keep in mind that I still have contract time till 2011, but that doesn't apply for this matter, and I would still have to reenlist with a new set of contract.

I must have done a physical/medical for like 3 times. Twice with the unit and once with MEPS. I've also signed a whole bunch of paperwork, checking into a unit, met the C.O,/SgtMaj/MGySgt at least twice, and harrased the $hit out of my recruiter on a weekly basis.

Well, I am glad it's all over, but as one journey ends, another have begun. This is my second chance in the Marine Corps. I do plan on doing whatever I have in mind before I am either too old or too slow to do them.

Once again, Semper Fi!

Ooh-Rah Cpl Yu!

Stay Safe and Semper Fi!

congratulations! it's all worth it isn't it?

I do hope so...

Thread Information