My boy is coming home - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Following this from afar makes me think the same.
    I hear you Wook, we are looking at it from a different angle as we were both in the Corps. What we would expect from the Marines and what someone with a kid who was in bootcamp would expect must be different.

There has got to be more to the story that a simple med.

I'm not trying to talk to you like you're not here, LHMHMOM, I am expressing my opinion as both a Marine and a parent....however not a Marine parent.

I hope it clears up soon for you. But I'd tell you, I would have to be on the horn down to MCRDPI talking to someone and getting some answers, but thats just me.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Purely speculation on my part but there are a few scenarios that come to mind that a lad might try to hide from his mom.

Popped on the wiz quiz....
    Refused to train
    Threatened or attempted suicide

The third one could very well be labeled a medical problem. Any one of them would get you sent packing.

I hope it is none of the above but the 2 year thing kind of raised a red flag for me.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Purely speculation on my part but there are a few scenarios that come to mind that a lad might try to hide from his mom.

Popped on the wiz quiz....
    Refused to train
    Threatened or attempted suicide

The third one could very well be labeled a medical problem. Any one of them would get you sent packing.

I hope it is none of the above but the 2 year thing kind of raised a red flag for me.
    Bulk, you raised what I wanted too, and what LHMHMOM does not want to hear, BUT, methinks ........

Thank you for all of your ideas and concern. My son's recruiter has been transferred to CA and his replacement had to leave the state before my son went to boot camp because his mom is very ill. This could be part of the reason we aren't getting a lot of information. We have been talking to Gunny, the head recruiter for our area and he has been helpful. He gave us a little info but I still don't know any details. It is a medical issue but not the one's you all have mentioned. It's very personal and I understand why he didn't want to talk about it on the phone. It's something that his bio dad had issues with but he has never had this problem in the past.

As for the two year thing, that is what the recruiter told me. Why does two years raise a red flag? Is it normally shorter than that? Is this something the recruiter could be wrong about? I didn't realize that wasn't normal or I would have asked.

I haven't heard from my son again and I haven't talked to the recruiter since mid last week. I work during the day and I hate to call from work because I get upset when I talk about it. I will try to call him when I get off of work this evening. I think Gunny is on vacation but there is another recruiter that we have become very close to over the last year. I know he will help if he can. Where can I find a phone number for RSP in San Diego? Do they have their own phone number? I do have an email address for his SDI but I hesitate to use it because he is no longer in that platoon. Would he be able to tell me who to call?

Well it seems you know what it is then.

Yes, I do know what it is now and I feel a little better. I would still like to hear something from him and to find out when he will be coming home. Will they be able to tell me that yet?

Well we don't know you, and you don't know us....so what the heck is it? I would think someone knows the time frame for the process his is going through.

I do not know all the particulars and am a little confused as to why the command did not call you. If you can call the MCRD where he is at. They should be able to tell you something. If they cannot help you then email me at cksmith34@live.com and I will do everything I can to help. I hope I am wrong but it sounds as if he has lost motivation and wants out of there. If that is the case talk some sense to him if he will listen and maybe they will let him stay, either way when he gets home he is probably going to feel down in the dumps. So you need to help get his head held up and move on. Good Luck tp the both of you.

He won't be rapid dropped for refusing to train. He'd be recycled. A suicide attempt takes a while as well and he'd be under constant surveillance.

A congenital defect or other pre-existing condition would have him out on a COG or Erroneous or Fraudulent depending on his Senior, Co and Bn Commanders, as well as the Depot Commander. Usually what happens is they'll ask him about any pre-existing conditions and have him sign a medical release form that they'd forward to whichever source has such records.

If they're saying 2 years then it sounds like an Erroneous or Fraudulent Enlistment because of a pre-existing condition that was exacerbated by training but not disabling or not severe enough to earn a disability rating over 10-20%.

You can get past a lot of stuff and he may indeed have a chance at going back in but what he does for the next few years is very important and will help establish a pattern for the Corps and any other interested organization to review.

This is purely speculation because it could go a number of ways at this point.

I don't want to be specific because he may read this someday. He was going through a rough time mentally when this happened and I am really concerned about that but it is a medical issue. I asked Gunny if he did something to get out and was told no, he didn't have a choice. I wish I would have had the opportunity to talk to my son if for no other reason than to help get him through the rough patch before this medical issue came up. I'm very concerned about his attitude about the Corps. If he chooses not to try again that's ok, I just don't want it to be because he left at a time when his motivation was down.

From the little that my son said when he called and what Gunny has told us everything points to medical release, not fradulent enlistment. It's not a suicide attempt or refusing to train. It is something that we can deal with and get a waiver for and is not due to an injury.

Thank you again to all of you for your concern. It helps me to hear these things from men who know what the possibilities are. My mind goes through all kinds of things that could have happened and when I read some of these things I realize that it really could be worse. I still don't know the particulars of what happened but I do know that besides the medical issue something happened to change his attitude over night. I see a distinct change from the letters that I received from him from the beginning to the two letters that I received from him after I received the call. I just hate that it all happened at the same time.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My Thoughts and Prayers are with You and Your Son for Quick Healing of Mind, Body and Spirit.
    Everything will turn out Fine.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Thank you RhodeIsland.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your Welcome

Credits
    Savings
    I would hope that you would tell your son that one part of his support group resides on this site and that if he does need to talk I'm sure the senior Marines on this site will be able to give him some direction. There are alot of different paths he can take after this I just hope he choose the right one for him. I wish him luck and a speedy recovery. Semper Fidelis!

Thank you TJR 1070. I will definately tell him that you all are here for him if he needs to "talk" about anything. The recruiters have also said they would be happy to talk to him. I have an email address for the SDI from his training platoon. I think I will email him to ask how I can find out when he is coming home and see if he knows how my son is doing, physically and mentally.

Thread Information