My boy is coming home
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

My boy is coming home

I am so confused this morning. My son left for boot camp on June 15. This week began his fourth week. He called me last night to let me know that medical is sending him home. He didn't want to talk about why so I don't know what happened. I thought that if they got hurt they were sent to MRP. Why would thay automatically send him home?

I asked if he could go back or if he even wanted to go back and he said no. I'm not sure which question that was in answer to but I think it wathat he doesn't want to go back. If he got hurt would he have a choice to come home?

AT this point its all conjecture ma'am. Depending on the severity of the injury or when it occurred (before Boot or during) the recruit will either be recycled to MRP or EHP.

More severe cases will mean a recruit is dropped to RSP and out-processed. It sounds a bit fast for him to be dropped to RSP and sent home. If anything, when a recruit goes through a status change (dropped to MRP/EHP) a phone call will go out to the parents to notify them of such and what, if anything, they need to do.

I'll toss it up the chain to the other Marines on here for more insight.

Thank you NoRemorse. I don't know what could have happened to make him say he doesn't want to go back. He was in DEP for a year before leaving and worked so hard to prepare. He couldn't wait to become a Marine and now he sounds so defeated.

There's that moment of doubt and defeat that comes up upon you when you get dropped. I was dropped to EHP before I was cleared again so I know how nasty it gets in there sometimes.

He can have a setback and lose moto for a second, but he's got to pick up the pieces and carry on. Since we don't know what happened we don't know how to proceed. There are options usually available that he could explore (read he, not you, you should not become directly involved in the process unless absolutely necessary ie, he needs civilian medical records or something).

At this point, wait until you hear more or send him a letter. Even if he's not in a training platoon it will eventually be forwarded to his new platoon.

Thank you again. I wrote him a letter last night. We are waiting to hear from the recruiter today to let us know what is going on. I'm beating myself up because I didn't respond very well to his phone call. I was so shocked and I didn't think I was understanding him correctly. He didn't want to talk about it and I just kept asking questions. I didn't know what to say and I definately didn't say the things that he needed to hear. I mailed some letters yesterday that I wish I could get back. They are full of how proud I am of what he's doing and can't wait until graduation, etc. The things he would need to hear if this hadn't happened. I will ask the recruiter if he has another address for him so that maybe he will receive the letter I mail today before he receives the others. He said it could be a month before he comes home.

Credits
    Savings
    Good luck to you Ma'am!

Whatever the details are there are many reasons that a recruit may not make it through Boot. He will certainly require some family attention to get back on a positive mental track. All of us go through some tough situations and once they're over, you start a new day and carry on.

Hope he's OK!
    C

Thank you Chumley. I hope so too.

Marine Family Free Member DevsDad's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I know lots of folks here will be thinking of you and your son mom. Hang in there and get that young man's head back up when you see him! He's already shown honor and charactor far above most people his age.

Thanks DevsDad. We will do whatever we have to do to help him no matter what happened or what his plans for the future are.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    LHMHMOM-
    Along time ago, sometimes it seems as if it were today, I was discharged, honorably, from the Air Force while in "Basic Training" for what was determined to be an "Existing prior to service" medical condition...which I didnt know existed. (I wanted to serve during the Vietnam War) Tough emotional times for sure and without a support group. What will help your son is his support group and how active it is. Looks like you've had a heads up on the situation and as the days go on you should be able to learn a little bit more. I hope that all goes well and that something positive spawns from this situation. Perhaps there are other options available for your son, as far as military service is concerned. His self esteem has been challenged. It will, when all is said and done, up to him to decide which road he wishes to take to get it back. Sometimes living with ones self is the hardest thing to do. I think that he will be fine. All the best to one and all.

Thinking of you and your son. I wish him the very best when he gets home.

When I got injured in bootcamp (stress fracture on my foot), I was able to make a phone call home at my previous company before going to MRP, and then one at MRP. Either way, the Company Commander called originally to tell my wife I was injured and wouldn't be graduating when I was supposed to.

Spent 6 weeks in MRP. Since he's being processed so quickly to come home, it's either a serious injury or he's using something to get out of boot camp, which happens quite often let me tell you. Please find out why he's coming home, and then speak common sense into him if he is using some medical excuse to be sent home. If he's not, and he's legitimately being sent home for an injury, I wish him the best of luck.

anything is possible at this stage. I'm even confused as to why you didn't receive a phone call from his training command. Don't beat yourself up about those letters you sent, they could even help him out in his time of demotivation. Weigh your words carefully in your new letters.

I'd be calling the recruiter at least twice a day about this.

I don't know what the recruiter has to do with it. You should be in contact with MCRD. Perhaps they won't tell you why he's in MRP, but it sounds to me like he doesn't want to be there. Perhaps he has claimed a mental issue or something. Which MCRD is he? If you need help getting phone numbers, I can help you. You can email me at canipeds@hotmail.com, I'd be glad to help you to find out what's going on with your son.

recruiters don't have the ability to get this info??! I made an assumption.

Thread Information