Marines Take Care of Their Own
Submitted by: Marine Forces Europe
Story Identification Number: 200372433546
Story by Sgt. Michael Hjelmstad

LANDSTUHL, Germany(July 24, 2003) -- At the onset of Operation Iraqi Freedom a hospital liaison team comprised of Marines from Marine Forces Europe was set up to identify, support and track casualties.

Marines assembled at the Fleet Hospital in Rota, Spain and at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center as well as Headquarters, Marne Forces Europe located in Stuttgart, Germany to accomplish the mission.

"We supported the Marines in whatever way we could," said Sgt Daniel Marks, Hospital Liaison Rota, Spain. "They were just happy to see another Marine."

"If you're a Marine and you hit the deck here, you can not slip through the crack," said CWO2 Ronny S. Hoffman, an injured Marine who was meet by the Hospital Liaison Team at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. "When you get off the plane, they jump you. They immediately handed me a phone to call my wife and never let up the whole time I've been here."

"We're not exactly pretty to look at and we don't carry cupcakes, but we do what we can," said GySgt. Stan Clark, SNCOIC of the hospital liaison.

"Gunny Clark is like a recruiter, he'll do anything for you," said LCpl. Ben Noland who was injured at Camp Fox while performing his duties with 2nd FSSG, 2nd Supply Battalion. "I'm really impressed with the liaison team. They took very good care of me."

Noland was treated for head trauma he received when his convoy was attacked with large rocks while traveling at night. He was eager to return to his unit, and Clark made sure he received the support necessary to get back quickly.

This mission is complete for Clark, as he will be returning to his career in corrections for the state of Ohio. "It's been a rewarding time, but it's time for me to get back to my family and my life," said Clark.

"The hospital appreciated his presence, and he will be missed," said HM1 Glenn Bonifacio, U.S. Navy hospital liaison. Clark described the Navy as 'our strong right hand' in this effort and praise was given by both sides to the success of the Navy/Marine Corps team's ability to work together. "Others asked how we do it," said Bonifacio. "Gunny Clark pushed a lot of things forward here. He stepped across service lines and showed the best of the Marine Corps, he truly raised the bar for this job."

The mission is also complete for Fleet Hospital 08 in Rota, Spain. The equipment is being transported to the United States where it will be refurbished and then returned to Norway where it will be forward deployed until it is needed again.

The hospital liaison mission remains the same even as action has decreased in Iraq and the fleet hospital has closed. "We still do the same thing, we can just do it at a more controlled pace now," said Sgt. Chris Rager, hospital liaison, Marine Forces Europe.

Capt. Shannon Geaney has transferred from Rota to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center where she will continue her duties as the officer in charge of the Hospital Liaison. Geaney says the liaison team will continue to operate as it has been. "You don't need to fix what isn't broken. The entire team is doing a great job and will get the respect they deserve."

When asked why the Marine Corps hospital liaison team is so successful, Geaney replied, "We love to take care of our own. From a leadership point of view, when given a chance to take care of Marines how can you not jump right into it?"

"All we had to do was call. They were the fastest, they were the best," said Air Force Maj. Maria Leya, Landstuhl hospital staff. "I wish all liaisons were like this."

"Even when you had less staff, the Marines were always way ahead of the others," said Air Force Capt. Allen, hospital staff. "Gunny Clark especially, was in here working obscene hours."

Although Geaney is happy with the success of the hospital liaison team and with the improvements that have been made during the course of action, she believes the mission is not complete.

"There were lessons learned here that need to be implemented before they are needed. I don't think we'll have 12 years to get ready this time. After-action is about solutions to problems we can avoid down the road."

This hospital liaison team has left an impact on those around them, and even in the absence of Clark, his legacy of a higher standard has been left and the mission of the hospital liaison team more clearly defined.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...le/GunnyLR.gif

Gunnery Sgt. Stan Clark looks at an X-ray of the foot of Staff Sgt. William L. Murwin III of 4th Force Reconnaissance Battalion, Reno, NV. Murwin was medevaced to Landstuhl Regional Medical Facility after being injured by a grenade while performing his duty as a pointman in Yusifiyh, Iraq, just south of Baghdad. A hostile group began throwing rocks at the Humvee Murwin was driving. He felt something hit his leg and looked down to see a grenade and had just enough time to yell grenade and lift his legs receiving shrapnel wounds to both feet.
Photo by: Sgt. Michael Hjelmstad

Sempers,

Roger