Is the Dream Over?
Create Post

Unhappy Is the Dream Over?

Hey all...I usually post on , but in one of my posts I was told to check Leatherneck's Poolee group.

Anywho, a few months ago I was disqualified by my recruiter for a knee injury (Torn ACL) that I suffered in October 2000. My knee has (since my DQ) gotten much better (I run 2-5 miles a day on it, and various other forms of PT). I was just wondering if it'd still be possible for me to get into the USMC. I know med-waivers are a possibility, but I discussed the situation with a Marine at our local Ozzfest show...(they had a booth)...and he stated that there was 'no way' I'd get into the Corps. I'm wondering others views on this...I've wanted to be a Marine since 3rd grade...I hope it's not an impossibility.

Semper Fi, Make us proud, poolees!

:sad:

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well , the only advice I can give u is that go down to a recruiting station and tell them wats up if u r qualified enough to get in , other than the knee injury they'll tell u wat they think . Tha's the only thing u can do but one word of advice tell them about ur injury u wouldn't want a fraudulant enlistment, tha's ground's for bein kicked out .

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Arrow Recruiters are not doctors

I suggest you write to some officials about your case. Elected officials can look into military records and procedures in order to get answers for their constituents. In writing your letter, state all the factual information and what attempts you have made to resolve the situation. Also explain the desired outcome you are seeking in the matter. This will cause an informal investigation into your attempts to enlist. If you proceed down this route, make sure you have done everything possible to get the answers yourself, including calling the recruiter who disqualified you, his NCOIC and the Recruiting Station Commanding Officer. Also call the MEPS where you took a physical exam and speak to the Marine liaison there.

What you are seeking is a medical waiver which is often reviewed at the Navy Bureau of Medicine (BuMed). In order to get a waiver, BuMed must approve MEPS to give you a full physical exam. You will also need to supply all medical documents regarding your ACL procedure. ALL DOCUMENTS. You will also need to prepare a personal statement and some other items for your waiver to be processed. Your recruiter will help you with this process. Good luck.

Post Thanks all...

Hey Sixguns and Law Dog, thanks for the help...
    Here's a little more info. I never actually went to MEPS. My recruiter (who is now not recruiter anymore, his term ended) told me I was disqualified over the phone...I never actually thought to say "Does this have to be in writing" or whatnot. When he disqualified me I knew my knee really wasn't up to Par, I was just hoping maybe I'd get in. Now my knee seems to be a lot better. I've called the NCOIC and the new Recruiter and have got no reply. I'm still going to try!

Keep posting info!
    Thanks!

Semper Fi.:rambo:

I had close to the same situation... I had wanted to be a Marine since as long as I can remember. When I finally got to Meps, that told me that I had an "excessive refraction" and that I would be DQ'd from the Marine Corps.

I have a great recruiter here in Arizona. With her help I sent in a waiver to BuMed, with an attached letter stating the activities that I participate in such as: hockey, football, surfing, etc... and how my eye sight does not hurt my ability to perform in these activities whatsoever.

To make a long story short, they approved the waiver and I'm all set to ship out in a little over a month.

If you can write a letter stating basically what you posted here about being able to run your 5 miles a day, and be very active without any pain...

It's always worth a try...

Goodluck

Thread Information