Another MOS question
Create Post

Another MOS question

From the last post on here I had mentioned my interest in CID and found out that chances are more likely slim to none for me to get it.

I've been checking up on MOS' that I personally believe would be something I could learn and do well at.

My bestfriends husband is currently a 2651, and knowing I'm not guaranteed any MOS since I will be going active duty I'd like to ask your opinions again.

My family was actually very excited about my curiosity for becoming a Cryptologist-Linguist or any Intel field for that matter. I haven't sworn in, nor taken ASVAB or any tests. I know I will have no problem with top-secret security clearance not tooting my own horn just haven't done anything that would prevent it. For myself this is solely for when I speak to my recruiter and being prepared in advance.

My question to you all, is during my years that I serve I would also love to do college and work on my degree. I still plan on going Officer, God willing. Which academic program would you personally recommend if I am going Intel or Cryptologist-Linguist. I have both chosen just in case I do not do so well on the DLPT. (I hope I said that right)

I was reading older forums trying to figure this out and found a couple that had semi targeted this question.

Homeland Security, Intelligence Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, Political Science are so far my choices at the online university I am looking at.

I personally wasn't sure if it was one of those situations that as long as I have my Bachelor's Degree in a semi related field I'd be fine.. But I always like being prepared and asking in advance so my apologies if this question is redundant. Just didn't want to spend 4 years getting my degree and then go as Officer to find out.. oh by the way your degree isn't exactly targeted towards what you would like to do.
    I'm not even sure if that happens.. thanks again!

Well if you pursue the linguist field then you'd obviously want to study whichever language you planned on being a linguist for. Doesn't really matter much for Intel, just make sure you keep your GPA as high as possible.

If I were you, since you want to be an officer, I'd join the reserves instead of going active. If you do this, you can start tapping into your Montgomery G.I. Bill from the get go and get a bunch of tuition assistance as well, as opposed to spending 4 years of active duty to reap the same benefits, which you can only do after you finish your 4 years of active duty service.

Absolutely, that does make a lot of sense. I guess I tend to over analyze things.

I'd love to go reserve if I could. Financially I'm just not able to do so. Way too many things on the personal side that are preventing me from going reserve.

One of my pretty good friends is about to go to OCS and also was a reservist, I heard his side of the story and have been trying to read as much about it as possible. From "what I've personally heard" seems like most Marines that are in the reserves have a hard time getting out? Maybe its just the timing never really works out to how we'd like it to be. But that also was one thing that just maybe question if I should do reserve or not.

I have another question for you then, is there such thing as MCI where we can also get college credits or is that basically like general education courses?

Thanks again!

The reason you don't tap into your G.I. Bill is because you get 100% tuition assistance and you're food and housing is already paid for, in other words you don't need the G.I. Bill when you're active duty. I don't think the specialization of your degree matters too much when trying to go officer, we always make fun of the Lts for having a degree in "Underwater Basket Weaving" or something similar. If you wanted to go CID or some law-enforcement route, why wouldn't you study criminal-law, minor in psychology? If you go intel/crypto-linguist and get your Top-Secret clearance, then get a degree you would have no problem going CIA or FBI either.

Yeah and that's exactly what I'll be needing is the housing and what not. That's definitely good to know.

Haha basket weaving? wow lol.. yeah I think I will try to stay as much on subject for what I'm going for haha!

As for CID, my only fear was there are no guarantees becoming a WO, or even ending up with that MOS. My friends and family said they'd feel much comforted if I went Intel or Linguist just out of their comfort. More so because if I decide that after 4 years if I do not want to make Marine Corps my career I can do like what you said with CIA or FBI.

There are tons of different degrees you can get to join CIA/FBI. They have a list on the FBI website.

I feel like an idiot for not looking sooner.

Cpl M you are a life saver !!

Thread Information