Advice from Marine Parents, and anyone in general.
Create Post

Advice from Marine Parents, and anyone in general.

Hi Everyone,

I'll fill you in as much as possible about my current situation without taking up too much of your time.

I'm looking to sign in around 2-3 months from now. October most likely. My family knows about my dream for becoming a Marine for a while. It's been harder for them to really understand more so because I have not lived with them since I was 16. I'm 20 years old now and can make decisions for myself career wise, but it means the world to me that I have my family's support as well. They just got back from Israel not too long ago and are having a harder time coping than they did before. Mainly because of speaking, seeing the men and women who are in the Military services and hearing their stories. As most of you know there are many who have had good and bad experiences, I believe my parents heard mostly bad. I'm a firm believer in life is what you put in, you will get out.

I promised them that I would give them around 3 months to sit, pray, and fully discuss my choices of why this is such an adamant decision of mine. It's the least I can do for them since they've been overly supportive of every decision I have made in the past. Truthfully they're all I have left in this world.

Anyway, my question to anyone who is a parent, family member and knows what it is like.

Could you offer anything at all that would make discussing this subject with my parents less stressful. I hate seeing my mother cry and it breaks my heart when it just destroys her literally. But I'd like to know, if you could do it over again what would you have preferred said or done to lighten the load. I hope that makes sense if not I'd be more than glad to try again and restructure my wording.

I really want to pursue my career in the Marine Corps, but I also want to have my family stand by me and support me through this decision and at the moment I'm not entirely sure they can. I'm 100% dead set on my choice and think it is one of the most rewarding things I could do in my life short term and long term goal oriented.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.
    God bless-

Credits
    Savings
    We all love our Parents, whether they are still with us or not,.

My Mother was not a big fan of my joining the Marines, much less going to VietNam.

My Dad, he was more stoic. He had served as a pilot in the Army Air Corps in WWII.

I joined. I went. I returned.

You are 20 years old. Make your own decision.

It will be, right or wrong, yours.

At the end of the day, your parents will support you.

You never want to go through life, wondering what it would have been like, to get in the backseat.

Just do it.

Now, a quick question, why are you not going the Officer route??

Last edited by Wyoming; 07-07-09 at 11:33 PM. Reason: ... because I know how, I wanted too, so I did!!

Thanks for the reply!

That's pretty much where I stand too. I tried the best way I knew how to just explain that I want to be a young adult make decisions whether they're poor or great and learn from my mistakes. I can't be protected and saved from everything in life. Otherwise I'm setting myself up for an even bigger fall.

My Dad was THRILLED, he said it was about time I did something good haha. So it was nice to know that he was all for it. Just my Mom and Step-Dad are questioning it.

I do plan on going Officer route one day, I'd like to serve before hand and do college online while active duty and then going back as an Officer. Ideally I'd love to make it a full time career, but I can't speak for the future or what will happen. I always try to make a back up plan for the "just in case" situations.

A good friend of mine is getting ready to go to OCS and it will be so great to hear how it went just for future reference!

-Michelle

MichelleJoyce,

Your parents will love you no matter what. I was in my 3rd year of college when I came home one day with a contract in my hand. At first she was speechless, ut when graduation day came down at PI, she was the proudest mother anyone could have seen. I stayed in for over 12 years and to this day she says that it was the best move I have ever done.

That's really encouraging to hear..
    it lightens the load a bit.

I was talking to my bestfriend's neighbors who are also on this site and they had suggested to just go ahead and enlist and then tell them about it.

I didn't make that choice yet, but either way if I signed today or 3 months from now it's a definite route that I will take.

Thanks again for the encouraging words, I can't wait to also see my Mom up there rooting me on haha!

-Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleJoyce View Post
    I was talking to my bestfriend's neighbors who are also on this site and they had suggested to just go ahead and enlist and then tell them about it
    Dobbs is Sage heheh good luck!

--->Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Dobbs is Sage heheh good luck!

--->Dave
    hahaha!!

I love her so much, I think every day I tell her I don't know what I would do without her in my life lol!!

Thanks for the good luck wishes Dave!!

GB!

-Michelle

You know my story Mischa, and given the opportunity to go back and do it a THIRD time I would in a heartbeat. Some people tend to be narrow minded and only see the things they dislike. Don't completely disregard their opinions, but don't take an opinion as fact.

As far as parents go, my mother never fully supported me until she saw me at graduation in my chucks. She saw the change in me, the necessary change needed to make me something more than just a welder barely paying his bills. Now she proudly sports a "My son is a US MARINE" sticker on her car. She tells everyone she sees about the things I've gotten to do, the places that I've been. True she worries, but that's part of being a parent is it not?

In short, it's your life. Live it how you see fit.

Btw Parker I never did get to say thanks for telling me that story. Haha I'm so glad Connie was like MAKE SURE YOU TALK TO PARKER!

That has been mostly the problem.. the more we talk about it on the phone the more they're actually listening. One thing that semi bugs me is that they wont ask for current facts. Bunch of friends of the family were also Marines back in the 70s, 80s and they had problems with GI Bills etc so they're always mentioning that to my folks and that makes them worry.

I guess it's good that they DO worry.. shows they care and actually have some sort of feelings about it.

I can't wait for that day, I know it's a while away but I know personally just for her to see a change in me would be one of the greatest gifts I could give her.

Lol I even told her on the phone today.. if you wont wear the My Daughter is a US Marine sticker.. then i'll make sure my dad has one on his car hahahaha she changed her mind then

I don't remember one unhappy parent at my graduation. I think that just as it will be potentially the proudest moment of your life, likewise so it will be to your parents. Give your parents the few months to adjust and then just do it. Bring your Dad along with you to talk to the recruiter, I'm sure he'll have alot of questions for the recruiter and once he gets that information and brings it back to your mom, chances are she'll come to the realization that it's not as bad as she thinks.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

It's Your Choice

Michelle:

We need to cut your mom some slack. She is doing what moms do.

When my son said that he wanted to join the Corps I was pleased but his Step-Mom freaked at first "Do you know there is a War going on?" & my son's Mom tried (Full Court Press) to talk him out of it. Turns out that my son talked his Step-Brother into joining instead. LOL

It has been said by many on this site, I dare you to find a family member that is not giddy with pride on "Graduation Day"

As a parent, it makes me proud to see young people like yourself, wanting to join the "The Best Fighting Unit" of modern times & thank you for wanting to serve the "Greatest Country on God's Green Earth"!

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal M View Post
    I don't remember one unhappy parent at my graduation. I think that just as it will be potentially the proudest moment of your life, likewise so it will be to your parents. Give your parents the few months to adjust and then just do it. Bring your Dad along with you to talk to the recruiter, I'm sure he'll have alot of questions for the recruiter and once he gets that information and brings it back to your mom, chances are she'll come to the realization that it's not as bad as she thinks.

I definitely will Cpl M!

They're hearts have changed, at first when I mentioned it they had both refused to even step in a recruiters office just to hear them out. I think a lot of prayers and my determination are finally paying off I got the one thing that I asked for. To be given a chance. I'm excited nonetheless, but definitely will give them a few months to get use to it before I sign.

I made a promise that I can't break.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It's frustrating for parents to see their children go into the military because the previous generation (used to?) be of the mindset that they make sacrifices in their lives so that their children can live better off, and when their children make perhaps an even bigger sacrifice (for their country), it isn't really seen as progress, which most people calculate financially or by attaining a higher education.

Thread Information