Corpsman Up!!! - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Corpsman Up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coryjbrown1 View Post
    If your a corpsman when u come home could u get a job as a paramedic or do u have to start over?
    Military TRAINING helps a lot, but the chits don't count for **** in civilian life.

I held a WSQ chit, and the training helped a lot in getting my Red Cross Life Guard ticket, but didn't count at all toward doing it.

I am working on my EMT ticket now. I was not a Medic, just a grunt, but would guess the same holds true. Military to Civilian, you've got the know how, but still need to pass the tests to get the tickets.

Personally, my goal is Medic 3; then I'll be almost as good as a Corpsman...

Quote Originally Posted by HM3 Doc Wilder View Post
    Absolutely-take that course-but understand-In New York-in the Chief news -paper -they list EMT's starting at $21000.00 dollars-What an insult.An EMT should be making 150.000 dollars to scrape-the remains of humans-off the road with a spachula-You can do better-Get your ass in school and learn something good.HM1 DanM-how are you?
    Yes, entry level EMT makes just over starvation wages. A medic 3, without over time, makes just shy of 50K. It's not a job you will ever get wealthy at.

I make the same now, as an electrician, as I would as a Medic 3.

I've seen combat Medics up close and personal like. I have a HUGE respect for them. I've seen small town, volunteer, Medics in action. I have a HUGE respect for them as well.

Sometimes, getting rich isn't the most enriching part of life.

Personally, I'm going to keep working on my tickets. I'll keep working as an electrician, and giving my service to my local QRS team. Right now, I'm just the driver and pilot; basic first aid, and water rescue is all I hold.

I'll soon get my EMT ticket, then my Medic 1 and 2 tickets, and some day my Medic 3 ticket.

But, Medic 3 or not, volunteer company or not, we get a call that someone is under the lake, who ya think will be first lighting the engine up on the boat, and donning swim gear?

It will be a dumb ass Marine that makes his living as an electrician, and just wants to continue doing what he did as a Marine; protecting his people.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjar View Post
    Yes, entry level EMT makes just over starvation wages. A medic 3, without over time, makes just shy of 50K. It's not a job you will ever get wealthy at.

I make the same now, as an electrician, as I would as a Medic 3.

I've seen combat Medics up close and personal like. I have a HUGE respect for them. I've seen small town, volunteer, Medics in action. I have a HUGE respect for them as well.

Sometimes, getting rich isn't the most enriching part of life.

Personally, I'm going to keep working on my tickets. I'll keep working as an electrician, and giving my service to my local QRS team. Right now, I'm just the driver and pilot; basic first aid, and water rescue is all I hold.

I'll soon get my EMT ticket, then my Medic 1 and 2 tickets, and some day my Medic 3 ticket.

But, Medic 3 or not, volunteer company or not, we get a call that someone is under the lake, who ya think will be first lighting the engine up on the boat, and donning swim gear?

It will be a dumb ass Marine that makes his living as an electrician, and just wants to continue doing what he did as a Marine; protecting his people.
    .......................................Hey Hilbillyjar-just read your stuff.You want to be a Class three Emt-It's always good to learn something new.Helping people that are in serious medical distress-is very noble and shows humane caring.I was a junior and senior life guard-when I went to summer camp-when I was young.As for being a Corpsman-you soon find out if your good or not.There is a certain type of internal-timing-that you develope after a while.It's like watching youself doing something-that you know by instint.This is the secret of being a good Corpsman.AN Elecrtician in NY-makes very good money.My logic and reasoning is this.I have been in Medicine for longer than 45 years.As time goes on-you sometimes get hurt.Only you can feel this pain.Therefore it is most important-that you protect yourself from injury.The People you work for may not have this in mind in small print.The VA-where I worked just about told me I was on My own-after I was injured on Call-which is an Emergency.They were not there for me-which turrned out to be a painful horror for me.In order to get My pension-I had to work another 5 years in 'Pain"I lost my last year at the VA-which should have been mine.Medical Compinsation-does not pay as high as the Civil Service Retirement Plan.I had to work in pain -to get my pension-The people I worked for -used the Government-to shield themselves of responsiblity-to take care of me-which-I deserved.Never Missed an On-Call-I did my job on call and was abandoned-by the people that were supposed to protect me-if I got i njured.So I had to survive-to get my pension.This changed my mindset completely.All-Corpsman have to take the Hippocratic Oath-when they become a Corpsman.This really means you will go-beyond the norm to help a patient.I carried this even after I no-longer was A Corpsman.I believed this and still do-but the playing field out there is not even-or equal.People,Companies,Corporations,VA Hospitals-will watch you while you are working, decide-your fate.Had I been on call in a regular hospital-or Police work-I would have been protected completely.This is why I'm a little pis*ed at them.They let me down-while I was giving my all.They beat me out of two hundred dollars more a week-on my pension.This is why If I could get PTSD-I would just be getting a little pay-back-which I deserved orginally-on my pension.AM I going to re-apply-for PTSD.Why Not-Do you like to be "cheated"-when you have given your All?So the money you earn is important on your EMT-job.I'm lucky-still can ambulate-My heriented disc's have healed -alot-but I still feel pain in my neck and back.This accident caused my Tinnitus-to Morph-to excruating levels-that I could not hear what people said.I had to read lips.Sounds hurt my ears-I could not listen to music-I had claustraphobia in my head.Could not run away from it.So I understand your point very well.Your dedicated to the patients you will care for.ME to-it's just that you have to protect yourself.Find out what the policy is -of your employer God-forbid if you get injured.Remember-what you sense-what you smell-what action you take -takes time to develope.I never was interested in the money part-when I was taking care of a patient;but the mentality of the people I worked for-was not at the level-That I Care for Patients-how could it be-they don't know the feeling you get when you save a Marines life.They will never know the bond that Corpsman have with Marines.That's why they suck-big time.They forget how to be human-and think they are the Government.They are just empty scum-bags-on a ego trip.If you become an EMT-be the best you can be.Remember-what you do to save a life-is between you-God-and the patient.Once you lose a few-you would be surprised-how much you will want to learn-about emergency Medical Care.Good luck to you and God Bless-Semper FI Marine Brother

Oh by the way-I did work-five years more-It was the 6th year-which would have been my 30th year and 3 months-with service time.I did 29 years and 3 months-so I left a year early-Water under the bridge.Today is 9/11-I feel like I'm in Nam-waiting for something to Happen.I feel that-something may happen.I'm a little intense today.Sometimes I do feel -like I'm back-walking around in Nam.I know I'm on alert-and not relaxed-This is not a drill.So forgive me, if I seem strange and edgy today-As a matter of fact-I'm going to spare you good people-from my madness-and get off Leatherneck-today-Bless All of you and may you have a safe 9/11 2010 .

Thread Information