lima co 3/4 3rd mar div 1971-1972 Raiders
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lima co 3/4 3rd mar div 1971-1972 Raiders

R.L.Johnson where are you?

Howdy, Marine, R.L. Johnson. My name is H.B. Lara. To make it short, I trained in the Northern Area in Okinawa. I did the mock attack from the submarine U.S.S. Greyback. It was hard training, but very special times!

I'm with 3/4 lima right now it's awesome to see Marines from the past posting on here, were about to head to afghanistan in a month..

I was the Company Gunny of Lima 3-4 during the TET offensive of 1968. We set up Fire Bases all along Route 9 from Dong Ha to Khe Sanh and had patrols out at all times up to and including Company size. We were attached to 1-9 "The Walking Dead" the majority of the time. We lost 330 KIA's in 3-4 alone during this time. Terrible losses of a lot of great Marines that never got to see the things we still enjoy today.
    Semper Fi,
    Jerry Mell

Credits
    Savings
    You and I must have traveled a few trails together. I was with 3/4 when we were BLT 3/4. We were TAD to a lot of different grunt outfits but I stayed mostly with 3/4. because they didn't screw attached units like some of the others did.

I was the Mike 1/4 for a time after we lost a lot of men on Hickory.

Tracy and I rotated in Ocy 67, so we missed the TET.

I hung around with Tracey and Murphy from Lima. I've got some good pic's of christmass 66 after we came in from Prarie

You're right about those that didn't make it that were the best of the best.

Semper Fi

Tony Simpson

3-4 reunion

Tony and all other 3-4 guys that may be interested in attending our reunion to be held in Branson, Mo this fall. Go to the website 3-4.org and all the information you need to know about locating buddies from your past is located there.

USS Grayback

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesome Star View Post
    Howdy, Marine, R.L. Johnson. My name is H.B. Lara. To make it short, I trained in the Northern Area in Okinawa. I did the mock attack from the submarine U.S.S. Greyback. It was hard training, but very special times!
    Well this was Lcpl Glass when we were on Uss Grayback.. we were in k3/4. think i was in 2nd plt! wow have been wanting to find us all on it. pls contact me...

1st Div., 26th Reg., 3rd Batt., M Company

Trying to find any Marines who served with PFC Robert Ramsey who died in action Feb. 11, 1969 in Quang Nam. His local grave is "unmarked" in Stuttgart, Arkansas. Discovered on Veteran's Day weekend. Community members working to gather hero info for Black History Month activity for students in February. Fundraising has begun for custom gravestone, and trying to contact family to also add military marker. Possibly ceremony on his death date in February. jheraldfb@gmail.com

I was with Mike 3/4 and was one of the last members of Mike company this was in 1976 when the did away with Mike Company me a a guy Cpl Knight was the last of the unit. Sure miss them days

Quote Originally Posted by jherald View Post
    Trying to find any Marines who served with PFC Robert Ramsey who died in action Feb. 11, 1969 in Quang Nam. His local grave is "unmarked" in Stuttgart, Arkansas. Discovered on Veteran's Day weekend. Community members working to gather hero info for Black History Month activity for students in February. Fundraising has begun for custom gravestone, and trying to contact family to also add military marker. Possibly ceremony on his death date in February. jheraldfb@gmail.com
    Check with Mongoose on this site, not sure what co he was with but he was with the 3/26 during that period.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I was with the 3/26 at that time frame. We had just finished Bold Mariner/ Russel Beach operations. If he was KIA on Feb. 11, he was killed during Operation Taylor Common/ Defiant Measure, which started on Feb. 10. However, since you have Battery in his heading, I think he was with the 1/13, assigned to the 3/26. Since he was assigned a Company, he was more than likely in a mortar battery. Which would have been either Charlie or Whiskey Battery, 1st. Bn./ 13th. Marines, assigned to the 3/26.

Your comments are fitting into a small bit of info I have. His obituary stated his was killed by fragmentation injuries when he stepped onto a mine while loading (back onto a amphibious vehicle after the operation you have named?) I saw the 1, 3 and 26 on patches posted online, but don't recall the 13. His captain was Larry C. Tasby who seems to still be living in Concord, Calif. But I have not gotten a response from him yet. I want to be able to find/write a narrative. If part of this Operation Taylor, I hope to have more of a story to tell about how he served. He was a rifleman coming out of boot camp in San Diego in 1968. Thank you again.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Your comments are fitting into a small bit of info I have. His obituary stated his was killed by fragmentation injuries when he stepped onto a mine while loading (back onto a amphibious vehicle after the operation you have named?) I saw the 1, 3 and 26 on patches posted online, but don't recall the 13. His captain was Larry C. Tasby who seems to still be living in Concord, Calif. But I have not gotten a response from him yet. I want to be able to find/write a narrative. If part of this Operation Taylor, I hope to have more of a story to tell about how he served. He was a rifleman coming out of boot camp in San Diego in 1968. Thank you again.
    Captain Larry Tasby is a member here on LN. He was a platoon Commander, in Mike Co. 3/26. You can look him up, if you haven't already.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Go to google. Put in Larry Tasby, usmc,viet nam 1969. It will show a memorial he made for pfc Ramsey, on together we served.

Thread Information