Life
Sentimental items of servicemen

Sunday, July 5, 2009

By Dr. Lori, Arts and Antiques

My father served in the Pacific Theater of Operations during World War II. When my dad shares some of his recollections about the war with my sisters and me, he often comments that he wore a string of rosary beads that never left his neck during his entire tour of duty.

He mentions that his colleagues in the service also had cherished mementos. Of course, my dad still has those rosary beads. And, along with his many medals, those rosaries will remain beloved objects forever.

Personally, I am fortunate to be in touch with a few members of the Marine Corps on a daily basis. From my home-front post in front of my computer screen, I keep in touch with members of the U.S. military. No, I don't have family members in the military, but many of my students are in the service across the globe.

I teach art history courses for Penn State University's undergraduate distance education program, called the World Campus. Like many online academic programs, students complete courses while working full time or serving in the military. Some of my students complete course assignments and military ones simultaneously.

After a chat with my dad about his wartime keepsakes, I inquired about the objects that the current generation of soldiers are keeping close to their hearts. The similarities are startling.

When I told Eric Pignatore, art history student and Marine staff sergeant, that I was researching troop keepsakes, he offered his help. I explained that I wanted to highlight the sentimental items of service people — from rabbit's feet and friendship charms to items picked up along the way. He provided photos.

Citing iPods, and xBoxes that some soldiers brought along to help get them through their deployment, Pignatore, who is currently completing his third tour of duty in Iraq, said technology is vital to today's fighting forces.

Other than the first use of radar in wartime, there was comparatively little advanced technology during my dad's era of military deployment in the jungles of Guadalcanal (Aug. 7, 1942-Feb. 9, 1943), at Saipan (June 15-July 9, 1944), or in the Leyte Gulf, (Oct. 23-26, 1944). From Iraq, Pignatore remarked, "This war is not your dad's World War II or my dad's Vietnam as things are different..."

Eric told me he has two pictures of his fiancée with him as he plans to wed upon his return home.

He also carries with him a coin from a Marine combat helicopter association. As he flies and works on military helicopters. Pignatore said the small combat helicopter association coin is important to him as teamwork, comradeship, and unity are vital to any military operation's success and longevity.

He explained that during his first tour of duty, he lost two fellow Marines in a helicopter crash. He carries the coin as "a reminder of how short life can be."

Thanks to these brave heroes who share their courage and expertise far away from home.

An antiques appraiser and award-winning TV personality and talk show host, Dr. Lori presents antiques appraisal events nationwide. Watch Dr. Lori across the country on the Fine Living Network's "Worth Every Penny" and on "Daytime." Visit www.DrLoriV.com or call 888-431-1010.

Ellie