Computer MOS - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer MOS

my brother has computer science as a BS and is working towards a masters in NT but will most likely change it to some systems manager thing for medical fields since he's working at a hospitol....

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath1989 View Post
    0651 0656 like i said different both are different names for the same thing.
    There is more than just 0651 and 0656 if you want to do IT stuff in the Marines. I wasn't 065x and most of my job dealt with UNIX servers and I also had some Cisco switches and routers. I was also responsible for other gear like radios and modems which you may not have had. The 065x school may only be 9 weeks in boot camp Bravo, used to be D Co that did those two MOS, but some of those 28xx and 59xx in A and C co do IT work also and some of those folks will have been enlisted a year or more by the time they finish school. With that much time invested, the Marine Corps is going to want more return than say a 0612 that's in MOS school for 2 weeks.

hmmm, I'm thinking about getting a networking degree cause all I know about is routers layer 3 and 2 switches

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not sure there's such a thing. You might want to look at certifications like CCNA or CCIE if you want to go that route.

ya my friend from highschool is working towards his networking degree. I have my ccna working towards my ccnp, and frankly ccie is way out of my grasp at this point.

One great reason to move into Intel or IT or another line of work that gets you a Secret or Top Secret clearance is that after getting at least 4 years of experience under your belt, civilian companies will hire you for great pay in a heartbeat. My company is actually looking to hire almost 200 each of IT Computer Database, HUMINT, SIGINT, All-Source, and Collections Managers to deploy to Afghanista in for 12 months, and the pay will likely start from $80,000- $150,000 without a college degree. Practically no other jobs outside of the military can pay like that. The hiring will start in Sept and continue for the next 2 years. Drop a line if interested.

RecruiterDan, in case you haven't noticed, this thread is just about a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath1989 View Post
    actually data (computers) only has a 9 week training course theres too much to learn, so its mostly on the job training. 0651 is trained in servers and helpdesk, 0656 is Lan/Wan and routers. Retention in the mos is low due to the skills learned so they want to keep for as long as possible. The Marine Corps is a self-serving organization, everything they do is geared toward keeping Marines in the Corps.
    0656 has been phases out of training.
    There mashed into 0651 and the training became 2 months longer.

Thread Information