Dang portholes...
Create Post

Dang portholes...

Well, I was just curious if anyone knew how soon I can put my name on the waiting list for lasik? I'd like to get rid of these portholes ASAP. Actually and information on the subject would be great. Can anybody direct me in the correct direction to gain some knowledge?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1st of all, stop calling glasses portholes.

2nd, talk to a NCO, and explain that you want to go to medical to get a referral. The docs should be able to take it from there.

Oops, force of habit I guess. Thanks for the info though. So I'll have to wait till I get to my first duty station I take it?

Are you on boot leave?

Yes Sir.

I figured it was pretty early to start asking, but I just remember the D.I.s telling us the waiting list is long. So I want to get the ball rolling ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by jpg8402 View Post
    Yes Sir.

I figured it was pretty early to start asking, but I just remember the D.I.s telling us the waiting list is long. So I want to get the ball rolling ASAP.
    Do they still teach rank structure in boot camp?

Yes Sergeant, they do.

Oh okay, I guess I just misread where you called him sir.

I wouldn't get hasty about having your eyes burned. Lasik surgery (or possibly a procedure more precise) should only improve over the years. I've been undecided about having my eyeballs carved on since back when Radial Keratotomy burst onto the seen in the 80's, and remain so to-day.

--->Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jpg8402 View Post
    Yes Sergeant, they do.
    You need to wait till you get to your first duty station. You don't want to have surgery before actually having a unit.

I have the information you need.

Here are the requirements to get on the waiting list.

1. Has to have less than a year on your contract.
    2. Must be getting out.

That is what we were told the first day in the fleet. Buy contacts or if your a going grunt, get prescription oakley's.

The waiting list has a priorty value. It depends on your MOS. Infantry has first shot, then aviation. Once you see doc for the referral, you have to make sure your a good canidant for it. If so, they will give you a form for your command to fill out and sign. If you have a nasty command, you might as well just go out in town. If your command is ok, they will fill it out based on your priorty. I was never told about time on contract so, that is just scuttlebutt so they don't have to do the paperwork and they don't loose you for a couple of days. The bottom line is get to your duty station and ask first and then just tell them you need your eyes checked because the perscription at boot camp was wrong. Then hit doc up with the questions.

Thread Information