MODERATOR'S! A suggestion if I may....
Closed Thread
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MODERATOR'S! A suggestion if I may....

To all Moderator's:

There is an EXCELLENT, very detailed and informative recent thread in the "Former Poolee Advice" Forum that is titled "Basic Recon Course".....the author, DomForce24, is (now) a recent graduate of the Basic Reconnaissance Course at Camp Pendleton.....

This thread is filled with the very BEST, most up-to-date information I have yet seen on just about every question a Poolee could think of about getting into Recon, what it is like, etc.

I noticed that "Poolee Hall" has a "Sticky" about "Scout/Sniper" questions (another endlessly asked-about topic), but no "Sticky" about Recon???

I would suggest making the above-noted "Basic Recon Course" thread by DomForce24 a "Sticky" in "Poolee Hall".......

This would certainly eliminate a lot of headaches for Marines trying to answer all the endless questions about Recon....

In addition, the poolee's will benefit tremendously from the current, up-to-date scoop that is provided.....not the lame, out-of-date, often incorrect info that poolee's often recieve from other poolee's who don't have a clue what they are talking about.....

Right on, agreed as well. Thanks, MotoDad.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JWG View Post
    Right on, agreed as well. Thanks, MotoDad.

Happy to help you guys out, JWG!

Are you interested in Recon yourself?

My son is over 1/2 way thru Boot Camp right now.....he has already ran a 286 PFT and swims like a fish! He has a UZ / 0321 recon contract.....

I understand the Marines on this site getting frustrated with all the endless questions about Recon (particularly since 99% of these young men will never end-up trying-out for that MOS in the Corps)....

However, if you (or any poolee's you know), are SERIOUS candidates for a UZ contract, then please remember this:

Do NOT believe that Boot Camp will get you into "Recon"-caliber physical condition! It simply will not!

That's why I sometimes get frustrated when Marines often blow-off poolee questions about Recon by saying "just worry about earning the title and getting thru Boot Camp".....

Yes, I agree they certainly have to get thru Boot Camp first! But if a poolee isn't advised that he needs to train VERY HARD at PT and extensive swimming for AT LEAST 6 months BEFORE he ever steps foot on those yellow footprints, then he doesn't have a prayer of making it thru the Recon Course......

My son DID train very hard before shipping-out and was running a 280 PFT and swimming a mile DAILY (in full cammies!) before he ever left for Boot Camp....I expect his final PFT score will be in the low 290's when he graduates.....and YOU, JWG, can do more sit-ups right now than he can!

Your run-time also looks great! Just gotta focus on getting your pull-ups over 20......since you are not shipping-out until next summer, you have PLENTY of time!

You seem to be a mature young man.....I don't know what your goals are in the Corps, but there is no higher honor in the Marine Corps that you could shoot for than to become a Reconnaissance Marine!

There are many MOS's in the Marine Corps that are worth setting your sights on, that are just as revered as being Roger Recon. To name a few. Becoming a Drill Instructor is at the top of my list since I have been there and done that. Becoming a Tanker or AmTrack Marine, Becoming a computer tech. so you can use your head for something besides a hat rack. All jobs in the Marine Corps are just as important as being in the infantry as all Marines are first and alway's infantry men.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDad
    You seem to be a mature young man.....I don't know what your goals are in the Corps, but there is no higher honor in the Marine Corps that you could shoot for than to become a Reconnaissance Marine!
    Well, you just shot down a ton of Marines! It makes me believe, more and more, that us Wingers have no honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    There are many MOS's in the Marine Corps that are worth setting your sights on, that are just as revered as being Roger Recon. To name a few. Becoming a Drill Instructor is at the top of my list since I have been there and done that. Becoming a Tanker or AmTrack Marine, Becoming a computer tech. so you can use your head for something besides a hat rack. All jobs in the Marine Corps are just as important as being in the infantry as all Marines are first and alway's infantry men.
    I totally agree.

I still need Marines who can shoot and salute. But I need Marines who can fix jet engines and man sophisticated radar sets, as well.
    -General Robert E. Cushman, Jr., USMC

I just instantly thought of that quote when I read that post.

Quote Originally Posted by GIrene View Post
    I still need Marines who can shoot and salute. But I need Marines who can fix jet engines and man sophisticated radar sets, as well.
    -General Robert E. Cushman, Jr., USMC
    Truer words were never spoken.
    The Corps is one big team and all players must work together to achive the ultimate goal. The Grunts will always be needed but, look around technology is changing everything we do.

Swing with the wing. Where would the Corps be without the Wingers???? Having a supply primary MOS I did quiet a bit of time with the wing and enjoyed every minute of it. With the MOS that I had I went just about anywhere there was a need for Marine Corps supply items.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoDad View Post
    I don't know what your goals are in the Corps, but there is no higher honor in the Marine Corps that you could shoot for than to become a Reconnaissance Marine!
    Thats a new one to me, All the civilian people I talk to think that being a Pilot flying fighter jets ranks up there to all time job in the Marines or Navy, all the rest are considered grunts and losers...they have no clue, I feel like bashing there friggin heads in

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Where would the Marine Corps be?

If the grunt did not have the support of the machine gunner and mortar man? It is a very pretty sight to see a tank sitting behind your line to be called upon if needed. I cussed the supply man a many times because they wanted to give my men raggedy gear, but I also praised them because I needed to have them with 782 gear and flak jackets and helmets.

And in the end they always came through. If you get in tight you may get a can of coffee or two. Some of that gear saved a many life. Couldn't get along with out them C-rats either.

Arty was always very loud, but when the FO called in a grid, they always came through, and took out the target. Couldn't have called them if it was
    not for the radioman and the wireman to keep that lines open. Even as shiat was hitting the fan. Thank God we did not have to send smoke signals or beat on drums.

As a grunt you mostly hump and dig in and then hump again Hurry up, wait, hurry up, move out. But, Motor “T” was always a blessed sight, even if ya were herded into a cattle car, or in the back of a cold bumpy 6x6.

That’s where the meat wagons come from too! Historically it is said the grunts and wing do not get along. Again count your blessings for the wing, when you need to make a tactical insurgent 40 miles from your starting location into a hot LZ. Very impressive sight when you see 8 choppers in the sky bringing you reinforcements, water bulls, mules or a jeep. Hungry call the wing, they will drop the C-Rats by the pallets for you. The wing saved many a life by ferrying the wounded to ships offshore or to a field hospital.

Remington Raiders, get a bad rap. But without them your pay and leave would not be. Keep a check on them though, because they are only human.

Cooks, God bless them! Try to cook for hundreds and not have a complaint. Get up at 0330 and sometimes don’t leave until 1900.Gotta love it!

How about them corpsman, do the same thing as the Marines and save lives too!

All the “S” shops and HQ’s provide ya with mail, Intel, an azz chewing and a good laugh now and then.

I could go on and on, but by now you should understand where I’m coming from. I love the grunts; I would not have wanted to do anything else. I found it to be very rewarding.

Every Marine is a rifleman.

But it could not be done without all of the Marine Corps MOS supports!

Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDad View Post
    That's why I sometimes get frustrated when Marines often blow-off poolee questions about Recon by saying "just worry about earning the title and getting thru Boot Camp".....
    Yeah because we have no clue what we are talking about, right?

But if a poolee isn't advised that he needs to train VERY HARD at PT and extensive swimming for AT LEAST 6 months BEFORE he ever steps foot on those yellow footprints, then he doesn't have a prayer of making it thru the Recon Course......
    You've learned a lot in your long career as a Marine reconaissance man...
    You, sir, are now misleading the young bucks. Your son did those things to prepare because he is dedicated, and I can respect that.

You really stepped on your crank there, pal. I won't add to the abuse but I will leave you with this. This is a Marine site, and no outsider is permitted without specific cause.
    Wannabes are here to learn and respectfully ask quetions.
    Marine family is here because we appreciate the sacrifices of you and your Marines. Ask for advice, support each other, brag (a little!). Just don't live through your Marine and think it empowers you to put real Marines down. Have a nice day.

ps-no I am not a "reconhater" as I was called on that thread...

Credits
    Savings
    By the way this whole train wreck got started because you were painfully ignorant of the proper protocol.

If you have an idea, PM a mod. While you're at it, get this one deleted.

Amen !

All jobs in the Marine Corps are just as important as being in the infantry as all Marines are first and alway's infantry men.

And, no matter what, may THAT never change. Because, if it ever should, one will only be able to become "all" one can be. And the United States Marine Corps will, in fact, be no more: merely a footnote in military history.

Thread Information