Canadian military student looking to join the Marine Corps
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Canadian military student looking to join the Marine Corps

Right now I am going into my senior year getting ready to graduate from the Royal Military College of Canada, and having grown up in the U.S. I have always wanted to be a Marine. What are my options with becoming a Marine? I am curious to know that even after I get my U.S. citizenship if I can even join.

yes,

why is it you didn't get your citizenship while growing up in the U.S.?

your options are, cross the border and talk to a recruiter... or you could save the gas can call the guy....

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So even though I have technially served in the Canadian Forces I would be able to join the Marine Corps? I would want to enlist to expedite my citizenship. I never got my citizenship because I was there with my Dad who was a Diplomat to the Embassy in D.C. and that time didn't count. I have since recieved my Green Card, and would still like to enlist, but wasn't sure having served Canada.

um, a military college is serving in canada???

well a green card is all you really need, that's good. call your nearest recruiter and he'll get you all the details and technicalities worked out for your individual circumstances.

you show you're in the DEP... are you really?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I am a member of ROTP same as ROTC. I know that I have the option of leaving the institution at the end of this year without serving, I would then have to repay my tuition. Do you think the Marine Corps would repay this? No, I am not in the DEP, that part of my profile was when I was in High School, I haven't been on here since then.

well... they just stopped the tuition reimbursement program... I think scheduled for july 1st... can you contact an officer recruiter by then?

I doubt you'll make the cut-off though.

but if you have to serve then it'll become increasingly more difficult for you to join.

your ROTC isn't serving... I don't think... ask a recruiter.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I will call in the morning. But if I do serve, say for 4 years. Would I be able to enlist still or not?

yeah............ I think. ask the recruiter.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, you have been a lot of help.

ROTC cadets/midshipmen are in the service, SSGT. You'll even notice their pay rates on a few pay/benefits tables. It must be the same in Canada.

Serving in another country's armed forces is not necessarily a disqualifier for enlistment. I'm not sure how valid your greencard will be after your service, though. If it is still valid, you'd be able to enlist into a non-security clearance MOS.
    You will NOT be eligible for an officer's commission without citizenship. I am not aware of any tuition reimbursement for enlistees.

ROTC cadets... but you can be in the ROTC and not be a cadet right?? this is an area I have limited knowledge of (as some of you probably already noticed)

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I understand all the immigration part of the process, what I don't know is if I can enlist while having served in the Canadian Army.

Credits
    Savings
    I would remind you that in D.C. there is a long black wall, on that wall of 58,000 + names are the names of 2,000 Canadians who died in Vietnam
    fighting for the U.S. Enough Said.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macknightcr View Post
    I understand all the immigration part of the process, what I don't know is if I can enlist while having served in the Canadian Army.

Short answer: Yes. As long as you are a US citizen or a resident alien at the time you enlist in the Corps. To be an officer you must be a US citizen and have at least a bachelors degree (or foreign equivalent).

I served with a Canadian who joined the Marine Corps in 1963 as a resident alien, served four years (including a Nam tour) and got out. He went back to Canada and joined the Canadian Army for four years. He got out again, came back over to the States and re-upped in the Corps. I knew him as a sergeant and a US citizen in 1976. He intended to make the Corps his career.

As an aside, he came over to my unit one day while I was conducting drill under arms to a platoon. He was teaching us how to do British/Canadian style drill when my 1stSgt spotted us. The first shirt was not terribly pleased even though the guys were doing pretty good with the very different drill style. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Thread Information