Shin Splints!!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shin Splints!!!

Shin Splints!!!

im leaving to MCRD in two weeks. ive been training no problem, until a week ago. now when i go running im getting f.... Shin splints.
    any advice???
    ive researched and the only solutions i get is rest (but i cant let my self go)
    ive been running anyway, but only until the pain starts.
    what do i do if this happens while in boot camp???

I don't know why you're posting in the former poolee advice forum when you should be posting in ask a Marine. You definitely are still a poolee. Go see a doctor. This is not web md.

Go to sick call and join the crutch brigade.

Stop runnning on asphault all the time. You need to switch up and run on grass or a softer surface.

thanks for all the help.
    leaving in 5 days

Stop Being A ***** And Suck It Up Soldier

im not being a p....
    all i did was ask for advice. but im sure ill do just fine.

Ignore him, he's essentially an idiot. Carry on, ballero.

I don't claim to be a Doctor

I really think that shin splints are a mind-over-matter issue. Take some Motrin and get better gofasters.

I had shin splints when I was a Sr in high school and on the basketball team.......and they really hurt. I had to take a few days off and rest my legs.

What's the Treatment for Shin Splints?

Although shin splints may be caused by different problems, treatment is usually the same: Rest your body so the underlying issue heals. Here are some other things to try:

• Icing the shin to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain is gone.
    • Anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
    • Arch supports for your shoes. These orthotics -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with flat feet.
    • Range of motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
    • Neoprene sleeve to support and warm the leg.
    • Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your shins.
    If you keep running before you go to MCRD, you are only going to make it worse for yourself.....so rest those legs up before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineCorekilla View Post
    Stop Being A ***** And Suck It Up Soldier
    Shut up and join the Army if you want to be a soldier.

It will take some rest and good stretching. But be careful. If you get stress fractures, you will be there longer then normal. Not good.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5019486_treat-shin-splints-stretching.html

Do these stretches, they are what I do for my shin splits.

I had shin splints a while back. Stopped running for a week and it went away.

Are you sure their shin splints? Shin splints are essentially cramps in your muscles.

If you press on the area with your thumb, some time after the run, and it hurts, it might be stress fractures. Something I have been suffering with since playing soccer in high school.

The only way to make that go away is a full stop on running. You can do other things to maintain your aerobic stamina.

Go to a doctor and check for stress fractures.

Thread Information