new Gi bill startn in aug?? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    With the new post 911 GI Bill is the Spouse of the Marine now allowed to use the GI Benefits for college? I read somewhere on Military News that thats one of the changes, anyone know if this is fact now?

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah but it's being kept as a retention tool. I think it was 6 years in, and promise them 4 more...sneaky...

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyOps View Post
    My bank account. The VA pays the school directly for the tuition and fees. The only way I've seen that the Montgomery GI Bill is advantageous is if you are from one of those states that lets Veterans go to college for free.

Having joined prior to 9/11 and contributing the 1200 to the MGIB I now have a one time irrevocable choice on which one I choose to use.
    i have mine going into my wellsfargo account, my college is all paid my dad had did like a tution tomorrow fund before he retired out the Corps so i use bill for books and chow

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    With the new post 911 GI Bill is the Spouse of the Marine now allowed to use the GI Benefits for college? I read somewhere on Military News that thats one of the changes, anyone know if this is fact now?
    It is a fact, but only if the service member served over 10 years or something. I'm kicking myself in the azz because I served 9 1/2.

Credits
    Savings
    You may want to look at the historical BAH rates for your area. The BAH rate is based on the ZIP-Code of the school, not where you reside. I've noticed that for my area it has fluctuated between about $2500 and $2800 over the past few years. Also ensure you're looking at E-5 w/ dependents. So it doesn't have to go up this year. Since real estate values are going down and the nation is in a slump, it's completely possible that there could be a reduction in BAH rates this year.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill has caused me to do a few things different. Previously, I just paid tuition (~$1900/semester) and then MGIB would pay me back a few months later. This was because tuition was due on early or mid-July but school doesn't start until late August. In order to register for classes in lat July, my tuition had to be paid.

Since GIB is now paying the school directly and VA won't pay until school starts, things are a bit different. I had to contact the VA official at school and complete a fee deferment form so that I can register for classes even though my tuition isn't paid.

What sucks most about the Post 9/11 GIB is that I paid $600 on top of the $1200 for MGIB to receive additional $150/mo MGIB benefits, but will see no additional benefits in Post 9/11 GIB.

As for the $1000/year stipend for books, it's prorated on something I can't recall off the top of my head at the moment. However, I do remember that I will not receive that amount since I'm only planning to take 12 semester units.

I'm still waiting....

I had questions about the GI Bill, but it seems that no one wants to answer my questions at VA.

I went on-line and left a question...maybe some of you might know...

As a Vietnam Vet, I had the old GI Bill which I used to get an under-grad degree. I then had to pay for my grad degree out of my own pocket.

In 2006-2007 I did a tour in Iraq (18 months of activation) and I was told I now had the new GI Bill. I want to work on some more graduate classes so I can qualify to teach at the college level.

After a month of waiting, I still haven't heard from VA. I would hate to sign up for classes and then be told I didn't qualify. The schools haven't been much help either. Unless you sign up for classes, they won't do the checking and verifying.

Point 1 - I was told that a veteran was eligible for 48 months of benefits regardless of what program they qualified under. If that is the case, even if I did "re-qualify", I could not get anymore since I already used 48 months.

Point 2 - I was told that what was past is past. After becoming eligible once again, I could get another 489 months of benefits.

Anyone know??

Credits
    Savings
    Have you tried applying for Post 9/11 GIB? In order to go from MGIB to Post 9/11 GIB, you have to apply for chapter 33 benefits even if you are already receiving or have received chapter 30 benefits. They can then tell you whether they approve or not.

It took maybe a month to get the response from the VA but I applied during the first week I could apply for chapter 33.

VA has been slow to respond to my questions. Depending upon who I talk to, I get different answers. I wanted VAs input so I sent them an email. It's been a while and I still have not gotten an answer.

I used the old GI Bill to get my undergrad degree back in the early 80's (BS in 82)
    Now I need 18 more graduate hours so I can teach some night classes at my local college. I recently returned from Iraq. Do I get the same new benefits as everyone else, or am I SOL since I used the old GI Bill? Grad school is not cheap. I already paid for the M.A. degree out of my own pocket, but I still need 6 more classes and wanted to save myself some money. If I get the whole package again, I would consider getting a PhD.

Credits
    Savings
    I did read somewhere that one who was qualified for Ch 33 could get up to 12 months of Ch 33 benefits if Ch 30 benefits are expended before August, but those who still have remaining Ch 30 benefits will not get anything added to their remaining benefits.

I honestly don't know the ansswer to your question though.

payments dont start until sept so if your **** starts in aug be prepared to chunk your own change

Thread Information