Starbucks
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks

Starbucks

Hi All,
    There is an e-mail circulating in the UK re Starbucks not supporting the troops in Afghanistan, and that Starbucks is being booted off several bases in the USA.
    Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards.

Geoff.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

I've seen the same thing circulate around in the US as well. I can tell you it's not true. Just because a unit sends a letter but doesn't get any coffee doesn't mean they don't support our troops. I've walked into several Starbucks while I was in Southern california and seen Thank you letters from troops with pictures. Just because companies don't give stuff out for free doesn't mean they don't support our troops.

I'm not surprised. I worked with a Marine a few years ago who was boycotting Starbucks for this very reason. He was on one of the initial deployments to Iraq in 2003, his unit sent letters to major corporations asking them for support. Each one of them responded and sent gifts to the Marines, with the exception of Starbucks. Instead, Starbucks sent them a letter stating it wanted to be neutral in the war against terror and therefore it would not support the troops.

Starbucks will take our business, but they will not help us out.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I'm not surprised. I worked with a Marine a few years ago who was boycotting Starbucks for this very reason. He was on one of the initial deployments to Iraq in 2003, his unit sent letters to major corporations asking them for support. Each one of them responded and sent gifts to the Marines, with the exception of Starbucks. Instead, Starbucks sent them a letter stating it wanted to be neutral in the war against terror and therefore it would not support the troops.

Starbucks will take our business, but they will not help us out.
    Did you actually see this letter?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Did you actually see this letter?
    Negative. I heard it from the Marine who saw it.

Starbucks

Thanks for the replies fella's.
    I received the e-mail after it was forwarded about 6 times.
    I think its time to treat it as crap until we hear it from the horse's mouth.
    I'll have a chat next time I'm down at Commando Training Centre.
    Regards to All.
    Anyone still serving...Look after yourselves...Come home safe.

Geoff
    RM22606 - 1963-1971.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    Negative. I heard it from the Marine who saw it.
    We all did. In other words you've been duped (or at least the Marine who saw it was).

Hell we have two Starbucks locations on NASP here, the staff and students all really appreciate having one so close, but I've never heard their stance on the current conflicts, but I did hear something similar about Target, and something about them being French owned but it's all scuttlebutt really.

Not to mention there are about a dozen if not more Starbucks on Camp Pendleton.

Heard it from a Marine who, heard it from.... is the way most of these urban myths get started. Take what the hot topic is, twist it so that it appears to be realistic as well as pull at emotions and... bang you have a hit going from one in box to another.

There are plenty of Starbucks on the bases today, they do not discriminate either, Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine's have them.

I brew my one quality coffee, I bought one of those "vacuum thermos" stainless steel that will hold a pot of coffee, I would fill it in the morning, bring it to work and share it for who ever need it. Listen to this, 24 hours later if I didn't use it all, it would STILL be piping hot!
    ohh and it cost me less than a buck to make a pot.

I heard that Starbucks is going to start handing out a tube of KY with every purchase.

A few years ago I went on a "Tiger Cruise" with my Navy Son on the CVN 72. In the mess hall was this big sibe that said "CVN 72 proudly serves Starbucks coffee.

Thread Information