drivers license required for comm??
Create Post

drivers license required for comm??

Hi, i'm shipping August 11th and i've just been told by my recruiter that I must obtain a drivers license for my MOS (Communications). Is this a new thing or has it been out for a while?

I just don't get it, 22 days before I ship and this recruiter was just lazy and didnt tell me or didnt care to. I've got an appointment for the 30th to get one but things like this just arent right, with people getting screwed out of their jobs like this.

I am sure it wasn't meant to "screw you out of your job." It was most likely a result of a recruiter not knowing something. In any case, I can assure you that you need your drivers license. I was in the first FROC (Field Radio Operators Course) class to go through HMMWV training in school. Those Marines that did not have their civilian license were issued military learner's permits, which means nothing. When you hit the fleet, unless you are in an infantry unit, you will need to be able to drive. Nearly all radio's have a vehicle mounted version, and multi channel, HP, and SAT all have radios that can only be used in a HMMWV. This means you would be a liability to your unit if you couldn't drive the military vehicle.

Just be glad it was 22 days, and not two days before you were supposed to ship. You have plenty of time, and you'll be fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The radio is located in the vehicle!!!

A state license is needed, however, if you have a permit you may be OK. It might be possible for you to get a valid state license once you arrive at the MOS school. Try to get the license before you ship though.

Pay less attention to the perception of a recruiter screwing you over and more attention to getting things done in a timely fashion. Mistakes are sometimes just human error or oversight. Your recruiter may have forgotten all you needed for your MOS. Did you enlist for the job at MEPS? or choose a job during your time in DEP? How many other poolees does he have? How many has he shipped to training before you? Sometimes recruiters get distracted because they are focusing on the next poolee to go to training, not the one leaving in six months. Try to be a little more understanding and do your part to get things done.

SIXGUNS

Thank you guys, i appreciate you helping me out. It's just odd....about 2 months ago I was switched from the initial "tank crew" to radio op. I could man a million dollar tank without a license but I have to learn how to drive a radio. Just kidding.

Anyway, thanks for the insight. One more question, for all the Marines in Communications, how is it? I've heard good things from a couple of people.

It is a pretty great job. You can see a lot of the Marine Corps by knowing a radio. Just about anywhere you can think of needs to have someone to talk on the radio. You could be in an infantry unit or in the air wing, and everything in between.
    If the idea of walking with the radio doesn't sound good, make sure you give your all in the school. There are some follow on schools that will get you away from being a field radioman, and into something a little more advanced... and bigger, so of course you need to be able to drive the M-998.

Thread Information