An absolute OUTRAGE !!!!
Create Post

An absolute OUTRAGE !!!!

A Totally unbelievable Story, sorry by the setup is a bit wordy….
    This past Saturday, June 13th, 2009 I had occasion to attend an NHRA national drag racing event at Raceway Park in New Jersey. Along with my wife and daughter, we walked the "Nitro Alley" where all the big names in drag racing have their tractor trailer type rigs arranged and fans get to watch them prepare their cars, hand out photo and sponsor cards and fans get the occasional autograph of a famous driver. As I walked this midway, I strolled by all the big name crews like John Force and his 4-5 Castrol rigs including the daughters crews, Budweiser, Matco Tools, Geico, Autozone, NAPA etc.. Way down at the bottom of the midway, in what I would describe as a 1/4 size spot, was a funny car that caught all of our eyes. It was a navy blue funny car with "US Marines" blazing the side of the vehicle in gold letters. As the father of 4 Marine sons, I was rattling on to my family that I hadn't seen a marine funny car since the 70's and wanted a closer look. I was greeted by and nice young man, sporting a mohawk haircut and engaged him in a conversation about the car. As we talked and laughed I explained of my 4 sons and Marine Corp life, from a parent perspective when my eyes fixed on the yellow graphics I saw from a distance. They are the names of fallen US Marines from both Iraq and Afghanistan. I was rendered instantly speechless and needed to walk away to collect myself. Andrew kept repeating, "Wait, Kevin is going to want to meet you". I could only muster a wave off and walked away, leaving my wife and daughter speaking to Andrew. Upon my return, I found my wife hugging a man who appeared to be my age (50) or a few years younger and was under the impression he was the driver of the funny car. After my wife had introduced me to him, I just kept rambling on about the car and was only half listening to this "driver" and his sidekick. He asked if we wanted autographs and I replied sure, one for my basement bar, which is a drag racing motif loaded with memorabilia. I am not an autograph guy and was more interested in getting the 8 X 10 picture for my bar wall. Kevin, the "perceived driver" also gave us his business card and email address, pointing out the unusual spelling of his name "Kevyn with a Y. I shook his hand saying I understood and hustled along my family stating he needed to get back to work, as over his shoulder was a group of men working feverishly on their funny car motor. As we walked back up the midway, I said to the wife and daughter, "that guy looks familiar, kinda like my brother in law", and shrugged it off saying, "probably know him from racing". My 15 year old daughter laughed loudly saying "you have no idea who that guy is, do ya"? I answered "sure, that’s Kevyn, the driver". My kid was now doubled over laughing and my wife flashed me the "you’re a jackass” look, you guys know that look. My daughter shoved the autographed picture in my face yelling "look! Dad, that’s Rafterman" In an instant I recognized the face in the picture, the man I just spoke top for some 20-30 minutes! It was Rafterman!!! God Damn Rafterman. Kevyn Major Howard. We turned and hurried back and I caught his eye and waved frantically for him to walk back out to the midway. I explained my embarrassment and he laughed and said not to feel that way. I can't say it enough how nice a man he is. And passionate about his foundation and cause, appropriately named "Fueled by the Fallen" memorial car tour. The above story is the set up of what happened next which I found to be appalling. Officials from the NHRA, reportedly after receiving complaints from the Army Racing team, told the crew of "Fueled by the Fallen" car to move the memorial car that bears the names of Marine KIA's because it was too distracting and was drawing too many people. Since the Army sinks millions of dollars, our tax dollars into the NHRA with Tony "the Sarge" Schumacher’s top fuel dragster, NHRA officials were quick to accommodate them. I might understand if the car was something loud and outrageous, like a tattoo company or new energy drink. It is a car, just a car with a fiberglass body painted blue with the names of the fallen on it. A modern day traveling memorial wall so to speak, on a medium which would appeal to the younger generation. This sort of behavior from both the NHRA and Army is despicable. I find myself writing letters to anyone who will listen. I have the pictures to prove it. I spent a few hours later in the day speaking to Kevyn and Andrew, and was saw plenty of former Marines and family members as well as the general public straining to see the now hidden memorial car. To find out more about Kevyn’s foundation visit the website http://www.fueledbythefallen.com/. The foundation has about 5 cars with the Army, Navy and Air Force hero’s names on them in addition to the Marine cars.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4241.jpg‎
Views:	356
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	7588  

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    JOE...THANK-YOU! I'm gonna' pass this along to men who served.....MARINES, and CORPSMEN!!!....we'll DO SOMETHING!!.....DOC

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Joe: In 1980 I passed out STP stickers at Englishtown, NJ. Gene Snow was the man. Grew up in New Providence. My son is in his third week MCRD San Diego Boot. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will pass this information around. Cool car!!!
    Jim

Atco !!

Thanks Jim....in 80, I was in the Navy, but the 70's I was a track rat at
    Atco, NJ.. Had a few of those STP stickers and I was a "Jungle Jim" freak....lol still am actually !! Take care

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    HEY, JOE!! Was "Jungle Jim's" last name Lieberman?? Think I met him in Calif., a LOOONG time ago! Think he was signing autographs, during a charity event...DOC

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Do you rmemeber the Green Momba? Jet car with a driver that did not have legs?

That was a fun time.

Semper Gumby

thats him !!!!! Liberman, with Pam the sidekick !!!

yes, Doug Rose, lost his legs driving the 1st Green mamba.... I remember him very well....

Thread Information