Pickel Meadows Alum - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 114
  1. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by stewburner View Post
    Everyones tires were worn out,we was just trying to get back to base on time-LOL. You could make lots of time in Walker Caynon,even the cops couldn't catch you,I know!!!
    Gunny ferris was pretty cool,just do your job and thats all he wanted


  2. #47
    Mike Redfern that name is familiar to me also. Didn't you replace me in the dispatchers job when I started driving that old loadstar you mentioned? Man that tractor was lame! Drove that piece of crap all over hell up there. Also made many dump runs to B'port in the pac-mor garbage truck! about the truck rolling incident on 395, the truck belonged to Harry Lauderdale but he wasn't in it that night. A guy named Gene Colter was driving and a Sgt. named Mark Wolford was in the middle,and I was riding "shotgun". We had borrowed Harry's truck to go to Reno and on the way back at about 0430 Colter falls asleep at the wheel and runs off the left side of the road, we went airborne for about 100 feet before hitting a boulder head-on and flipping the truck end over end. HELL of a wreck! Took me what seemed like an hour to figure out which way was up! At least no-one seriously hurt ( I got a bloody nose)
    WE caught a ride back to base and got the wrecker from the motorpool and went and drug the truck back on it's wheels then towed it straight to the junk yard. Harry took the news pretty well, all things considered. He had good insurance since the truck was practically brand-new. I have pics somewhere of the truck still upside down and me sitting on it. I'll try to find them and scan/post them if I can. Got a million memories of my time @ Pickle Meadows, loved that place.


  3. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by webberjay View Post
    Mike Redfern that name is familiar to me also. Didn't you replace me in the dispatchers job when I started driving that old loadstar you mentioned? Man that tractor was lame! Drove that piece of crap all over hell up there. Also made many dump runs to B'port in the pac-mor garbage truck! about the truck rolling incident on 395, the truck belonged to Harry Lauderdale but he wasn't in it that night. A guy named Gene Colter was driving and a Sgt. named Mark Wolford was in the middle,and I was riding "shotgun". We had borrowed Harry's truck to go to Reno and on the way back at about 0430 Colter falls asleep at the wheel and runs off the left side of the road, we went airborne for about 100 feet before hitting a boulder head-on and flipping the truck end over end. HELL of a wreck! Took me what seemed like an hour to figure out which way was up! At least no-one seriously hurt ( I got a bloody nose)
    WE caught a ride back to base and got the wrecker from the motorpool and went and drug the truck back on it's wheels then towed it straight to the junk yard. Harry took the news pretty well, all things considered. He had good insurance since the truck was practically brand-new. I have pics somewhere of the truck still upside down and me sitting on it. I'll try to find them and scan/post them if I can. Got a million memories of my time @ Pickle Meadows, loved that place.
    I dont remember that accident. Thats a separate incident from the one I was thinking about where that dude Keiser got his head all torn and busted up.

    On another issue, another name came to mind....anyone remember a black guy named Sgt Dickerson? He was a pretty cool dude from what I remember.


  4. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by webberjay View Post
    Mike Redfern that name is familiar to me also. Didn't you replace me in the dispatchers job when I started driving that old loadstar you mentioned? Man that tractor was lame! Drove that piece of crap all over hell up there. Also made many dump runs to B'port in the pac-mor garbage truck! about the truck rolling incident on 395, the truck belonged to Harry Lauderdale but he wasn't in it that night. A guy named Gene Colter was driving and a Sgt. named Mark Wolford was in the middle,and I was riding "shotgun". We had borrowed Harry's truck to go to Reno and on the way back at about 0430 Colter falls asleep at the wheel and runs off the left side of the road, we went airborne for about 100 feet before hitting a boulder head-on and flipping the truck end over end. HELL of a wreck! Took me what seemed like an hour to figure out which way was up! At least no-one seriously hurt ( I got a bloody nose)
    WE caught a ride back to base and got the wrecker from the motorpool and went and drug the truck back on it's wheels then towed it straight to the junk yard. Harry took the news pretty well, all things considered. He had good insurance since the truck was practically brand-new. I have pics somewhere of the truck still upside down and me sitting on it. I'll try to find them and scan/post them if I can. Got a million memories of my time @ Pickle Meadows, loved that place.
    Did you fill out the paper work for the wrecker or just BORROW it!!!!


  5. #50
    On another issue, another name came to mind....anyone remember a black guy named Sgt Dickerson? He was a pretty cool dude from what I remember

    Dickerson was a cool dude as was Sgt Cathy!!!
    Remember Sgt Jones,he was a riot.


  6. #51

    Sgt Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by stewburner View Post
    On another issue, another name came to mind....anyone remember a black guy named Sgt Dickerson? He was a pretty cool dude from what I remember

    Dickerson was a cool dude as was Sgt Cathy!!!
    Remember Sgt Jones,he was a riot.
    Sgt Dickerson was in our hotch. He had a TV that would come on in the morning as an alarm clock and it would always come on to the beginning of the rerun of Mr. Ed, so we would hear as we woke up "A horse is a horse of course of course....."


  7. #52
    The military channel (195 on Dish) has a show called "Mountain Marines" this Friday morning (3am Mtn time) about a ''training facility in California that exposes Marines to an environment similar to that of Afghanistan and northern Iraq".

    Obviously about MWTC.


  8. #53

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    The military channel (195 on Dish) has a show called "Mountain Marines" this Friday morning (3am Mtn time) about a ''training facility in California that exposes Marines to an environment similar to that of Afghanistan and northern Iraq".

    Obviously about MWTC.
    Thanks fot the info,will have to set the recorder for show!!!!


  9. #54
    You're welcome. Another thread said Jan 28 starts 'Marine month' and that's when I looked it up and found it

    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ewpost&t=92931


  10. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by stewburner View Post
    Thanks fot the info,will have to set the recorder for show!!!!
    I was just perusing the channels and realized that Mountain Marines is on Thursday at 6 and 9 pm Mtn time. Dont have to wait till 3 am!


  11. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    I was just perusing the channels and realized that Mountain Marines is on Thursday at 6 and 9 pm Mtn time. Dont have to wait till 3 am!
    Should be interesting to see how much it has CHANGED!!!


  12. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by stewburner View Post
    Should be interesting to see how much it has CHANGED!!!
    Oh for sure. I dont think there is much of anything left that is recognizable from the original base. I'm sure most of the show will be shot in the mountains to display the Marine training, but I am hoping to get some good views of the base.


  13. #58

    Thumbs up base

    Gunny Logan retired and moved into Bridgeport. We all knew that town well!!!


  14. #59
    I am looking at the guide again and there is another MWTC at 6pm Saturday (Mtn time), again on the military channel. "Marine Corps Survival School" is the title. There is a part 2 at 7 but I am not sure if that is MWTC or not.


  15. #60
    I remember they had a small airport in Bridgeport, but the sign off the main drag pointing to the airport had a picture of a 747 on it. I don't think they landed many of those there.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts