Pickel Meadows Alum - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    On my way to Korea in 1953 I had to take a side trip to Cold Weather Training at Pickle Meadows. Was not my most favorite place at the time. I was an 18 year old and still wet behind the ears.

Since my retirement I not live in Nevada and have been back to Pickle Meadows numerous times when I have been trout fishing in the area. The place has really changed since my 1st time there. I have a friend who worked there many years as a Civil Service Worker. His name is Leonard Jones and he went by the name Jonesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    On my way to Korea in 1953 I had to take a side trip to Cold Weather Training at Pickle Meadows. Was not my most favorite place at the time. I was an 18 year old and still wet behind the ears.

Since my retirement I not live in Nevada and have been back to Pickle Meadows numerous times when I have been trout fishing in the area. The place has really changed since my 1st time there. I have a friend who worked there many years as a Civil Service Worker. His name is Leonard Jones and he went by the name Jonesy.
    I think we all woke up when we went to that base,but sounds like you,lucky you a short time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan1978 View Post
    I've been back a few times since then -I actually lived in Walker for a few years after getting out working for Mono County Paramedic Rescue. Married a local girl at Cloudburst Meadow (just below the training site). We go back for the 4th of July celebration every few years to catch up with folks. The base is completely different now from when I got there in 77. Colonel Knutson was 'running' the place, though we all knew that Sir John Marjanov was the real authority. We had dogs running around the place, and as Instructors we had pretty liberal rules about our uniforms, facial hair and such. Then Colonel Guy arrived and squared us away, along with 1st Sgt David and Gunny Logan. Best job I ever had!
    I remember the Col change of command speach,WELCOME BACK TO THE MARINE CORPS!!!Who was his first sarg,that muscle bound gorilla!!!

facebook

Have tried to find pickel meadow memories on facebook with no luck :-(
    Will keep trying..
    Jimmy Webb that name sounds familiar to me..I know you but can't picture you..old age clouds the memory..We over at motor t had a great bunch of guys there, to bad the equipment wasn't..Starkey, Stansberry, Chuck Noftsker from colorado, the 2 brain dead half brothers Harry Lauderdale and Paul Wubbles. Wonder what ever happened to them..Loved each other but had no respect for each other..Anyone remember the night they rolled the pickup truck up on 395 in the Minden area into the river? Sgt Jones...Who's favorite saying was " Happy Trails putt putt mother*******"
    Sgt.Cline and his wife Terri ( beaner)...Heard Herbie died not sure if its true or from what..
    Sgt Cat lives out in Nevada now lost track of him a few years back.
    Tom Rodgers one of the dispatchers, I was the other one.
    Got a pic of alot of us at Clines house for a party..Cant remember everyone..
    When your young you think you can remember who's who forever so you don't put their name on the picture backing.
    L/Cpl Lazano..name sounds familiar..
    What was the name of the shell gas station/resturaunt about 1/2 - 1 mile past the base camp on hwy 108 on the left hand side?
    Have a pic of 2 guys hanging over the railing but again no names..maybe Lazano was one of them..
    Supply we had Dan and Gryzlak..Anyone remember him? Lived about 10 miles from me here in Mass and have never seen nor found him. If there was beer in the cooler it was probably him.
    Broke down ( I know it's hard to believe that our lovely International loadstar we had would ever break down) but it did one day on the way to Pendleton..1StSgt was on his way to Pendleton and gave us a ride to a auto parts store..Owner refused to take a goverment credit card.
    Our great equipment..Oldazz International Loadstar Tractor couldn't get out of it's own way empty.
    school buses with coffee cans on firewall, filled up with dry ice to keep them from vapor locking,
    M116's to use up in the moutain,,cold and noisy as hell..
    Couple of trash trucks and a honey wagon for the sani cans. If you were lucky you could leave base top go to B'port to empty it..Got to see real folks for a while.
    Supply even threw out ski repair kits one time..Grabbed about 50 of them..Small straight and philips screw drivers,+ combo pliers, wire cutters, adjustable wrench type tool...still have a couple around here. Had to fight the Pyutes for them.
    Thinks this posts as keecher my nickname but real names Mike Redfern if any of you remember me from motor T
    usmc7280@yahoo.com

Ken thanks for that pic of the base camp..looks like a resort area

Quote Originally Posted by keecher View Post
    Have tried to find pickel meadow memories on facebook with no luck :-(
    Will keep trying..
    Jimmy Webb that name sounds familiar to me..I know you but can't picture you..old age clouds the memory..We over at motor t had a great bunch of guys there, to bad the equipment wasn't..Starkey, Stansberry, Chuck Noftsker from colorado, the 2 brain dead half brothers Harry Lauderdale and Paul Wubbles. Wonder what ever happened to them..Loved each other but had no respect for each other..Anyone remember the night they rolled the pickup truck up on 395 in the Minden area into the river? Sgt Jones...Who's favorite saying was " Happy Trails putt putt mother*******"
    Sgt.Cline and his wife Terri ( beaner)...Heard Herbie died not sure if its true or from what..
    Sgt Cat lives out in Nevada now lost track of him a few years back.
    Tom Rodgers one of the dispatchers, I was the other one.
    Got a pic of alot of us at Clines house for a party..Cant remember everyone..
    When your young you think you can remember who's who forever so you don't put their name on the picture backing.
    L/Cpl Lazano..name sounds familiar..
    What was the name of the shell gas station/resturaunt about 1/2 - 1 mile past the base camp on hwy 108 on the left hand side?
    Have a pic of 2 guys hanging over the railing but again no names..maybe Lazano was one of them..
    Supply we had Dan and Gryzlak..Anyone remember him? Lived about 10 miles from me here in Mass and have never seen nor found him. If there was beer in the cooler it was probably him.
    Broke down ( I know it's hard to believe that our lovely International loadstar we had would ever break down) but it did one day on the way to Pendleton..1StSgt was on his way to Pendleton and gave us a ride to a auto parts store..Owner refused to take a goverment credit card.
    Our great equipment..Oldazz International Loadstar Tractor couldn't get out of it's own way empty.
    school buses with coffee cans on firewall, filled up with dry ice to keep them from vapor locking,
    M116's to use up in the moutain,,cold and noisy as hell..
    Couple of trash trucks and a honey wagon for the sani cans. If you were lucky you could leave base top go to B'port to empty it..Got to see real folks for a while.
    Supply even threw out ski repair kits one time..Grabbed about 50 of them..Small straight and philips screw drivers,+ combo pliers, wire cutters, adjustable wrench type tool...still have a couple around here. Had to fight the Pyutes for them.
    Thinks this posts as keecher my nickname but real names Mike Redfern if any of you remember me from motor T
    usmc7280@yahoo.com

Ken thanks for that pic of the base camp..looks like a resort area
    Those 2 guys were just tawsing they're cookies off that bridge!!That was pretty common-lol. Ah,your right,the dump run,we gave up on M T AND just took our own car in,stopped at the bar and when we got back we got back. Maj Heck could never find us, He was looking for a motor pooj truck=DUMMY!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

To the left of this picture was the head and the chow hall. Up the hill was brick BEQ's and a head quarters building. Permanate personnel lived up there. It looked like a luxery hotel. We were lucky to stay in the hard back tents as other units had shelter halves on the ground. This picture was taken in 93

Our Facebook group is hard to find because this old Marine who set it up forgot that it should be spelled Pickel Meadows not Pickle Meadows.
    Anyways if you type in the wrong spelling you should find it under Pickle Meadow Memories.
    Thanks for this post it was good. I do remember Gyzlak from Mass. He worked down at the warehouse with me.

@ keecher, here's Dan's facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...1393131&ref=mf

You've got quite a memory, I remember Gryzlak, Lozano. I think I hooched with both of them. Lozano was my assistant at running the base theater. Lozano had a 1979 black and red camaro. I always tried to borrow it from him so I could run up to Reno, but he would never let it go.

Wasnt Gryzlak from Maine?

I remember the accident too...I think it was an old Willies. The two in it were Miller and Keiser...Keisers head was all fvcked up, I think he had a couple hundred stitches or something like that. He hit the windshield which was made of regular glass, there was no safety glass in that old thing.

Then there were two country boys....Ryder and Bartlow, I think they were from North or South Carolina or some southern state like that. They both had older Camaros and Bartlow used to take the 30 mph turns on 395 near Walker at 55 mph. The outsides of his tires were all worn out.

Anyone remember Gunny Ferris?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post

To the left of this picture was the head and the chow hall. Up the hill was brick BEQ's and a head quarters building. Permanate personnel lived up there. It looked like a luxery hotel. We were lucky to stay in the hard back tents as other units had shelter halves on the ground. This picture was taken in 93
    Wow, thats a familiar view. The base is like a frigging college campus now.
    Back in the day it was all quonset huts, mud, and green tin buildings.

93 Picture

Thanks for this picture. The infrastructure changes, but the landscape stays the same. I used to love to watch the storms roll in over those mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post

Ken,

I remember Ferris, but he was a Master Sgt (Top) worked in charge of Supply.

The accident involving the two guys I remember well. Keiser put his face into the windshield of the jeep. I went and picked them up at the hospital in Carson City.

I walked into the treatment room as they were sewing up Keisers face and they said don't tell him how bad it is, so I had to do the old "it doesnt look that bad" routine as they did a lot of sewing to put his face back together.

If you remember, Keiser also had his leg torn apart pretty good in that one fire we worked in the cannon towards Walker when a bolder coming down took him off his feet and pinned his leg against the cannon wall and sent him tumbling down the mountain. I know we had fun trying to get him down the side of the mountain in a basket that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Galt View Post
    Ken,

I remember Ferris, but he was a Master Sgt (Top) worked in charge of Supply.

The accident involving the two guys I remember well. Keiser put his face into the windshield of the jeep. I went and picked them up at the hospital in Carson City.

I walked into the treatment room as they were sewing up Keisers face and they said don't tell him how bad it is, so I had to do the old "it doesnt look that bad" routine as they did a lot of sewing to put his face back together.

If you remember, Keiser also had his leg torn apart pretty good in that one fire we worked in the cannon towards Walker when a bolder coming down took him off his feet and pinned his leg against the cannon wall and sent him tumbling down the mountain. I know we had fun trying to get him down the side of the mountain in a basket that night.
    I remember that fire. I dont think I was with you guys, I was with another group as we climbed about 1000 ft to the top of a hill, the grade got too steep for us and it was impossible to move around, we had to come back down. It was also near dark when we descended.

Yes, Top Ferris. Damn my memory is getting shaky on some of this stuff, that was 30 years ago.

Ken,

That fire is something I will always remember. We had scaled up the gully with the fire being to our left side. We were supposed to keep it from jumping across the gully.

We had stopped to rest, and a boulder came out of the burned area above us and was rolling down the gully with all of us in its path. I don't think to this day I ever moved so fast to get out of the way of being crushed.

We all got out of the way except Keiser. His leg was really bad and we had to wait to get a basket up to evacuate him. Meanwhile they were dropping the slimy purple stuff to help put out the fire on top of our area. This made the rock slippery when we climbed down to get him down.

I guess this why when we were in the hotches after work we kept the door locked so as to make people wanting us to go fight fires think we were not home. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Galt View Post
    Ken,

That fire is something I will always remember. We had scaled up the gully with the fire being to our left side. We were supposed to keep it from jumping across the gully.

We had stopped to rest, and a boulder came out of the burned area above us and was rolling down the gully with all of us in its path. I don't think to this day I ever moved so fast to get out of the way of being crushed.

We all got out of the way except Keiser. His leg was really bad and we had to wait to get a basket up to evacuate him. Meanwhile they were dropping the slimy purple stuff to help put out the fire on top of our area. This made the rock slippery when we climbed down to get him down.

I guess this why when we were in the hotches after work we kept the door locked so as to make people wanting us to go fight fires think we were not home. LOL.
    I am surprised I dont remember that story, but I do think I remember him in a cast. Poor kid.

After that accident in the willies, his head looked like a football. With luck like that I hope he made it through life ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    @ keecher, here's Dan's facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...1393131&ref=mf

You've got quite a memory, I remember Gryzlak, Lozano. I think I hooched with both of them. Lozano was my assistant at running the base theater. Lozano had a 1979 black and red camaro. I always tried to borrow it from him so I could run up to Reno, but he would never let it go.

Wasnt Gryzlak from Maine?

I remember the accident too...I think it was an old Willies. The two in it were Miller and Keiser...Keisers head was all fvcked up, I think he had a couple hundred stitches or something like that. He hit the windshield which was made of regular glass, there was no safety glass in that old thing.

Then there were two country boys....Ryder and Bartlow, I think they were from North or South Carolina or some southern state like that. They both had older Camaros and Bartlow used to take the 30 mph turns on 395 near Walker at 55 mph. The outsides of his tires were all worn out.

Anyone remember Gunny Ferris?
    Everyones tires were worn out,we was just trying to get back to base on time-LOL. You could make lots of time in Walker Caynon,even the cops couldn't catch you,I know!!!

Thread Information