Pickel Meadows Alum - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by webberjay View Post
    Mike Redfern that name is familiar to me also. Didn't you replace me in the dispatchers job when I started driving that old loadstar you mentioned? Man that tractor was lame! Drove that piece of crap all over hell up there. Also made many dump runs to B'port in the pac-mor garbage truck! about the truck rolling incident on 395, the truck belonged to Harry Lauderdale but he wasn't in it that night. A guy named Gene Colter was driving and a Sgt. named Mark Wolford was in the middle,and I was riding "shotgun". We had borrowed Harry's truck to go to Reno and on the way back at about 0430 Colter falls asleep at the wheel and runs off the left side of the road, we went airborne for about 100 feet before hitting a boulder head-on and flipping the truck end over end. HELL of a wreck! Took me what seemed like an hour to figure out which way was up! At least no-one seriously hurt ( I got a bloody nose)
    WE caught a ride back to base and got the wrecker from the motorpool and went and drug the truck back on it's wheels then towed it straight to the junk yard. Harry took the news pretty well, all things considered. He had good insurance since the truck was practically brand-new. I have pics somewhere of the truck still upside down and me sitting on it. I'll try to find them and scan/post them if I can. Got a million memories of my time @ Pickle Meadows, loved that place.
    Harry wasnt in that wreck??? sorry brother didnt know this page existed and the last time I was on thois website was like 5 yrs ago..Yea myself and tom Rodgers were in dispatch

More Pickel Meadow Memories on Facebook

If anyone would like to share more memories of the days at MCMWTC (Pickel Meadows) there is a group on Facebook called "Pickle Meadow Memories). I know I misspelled Pickel, but we are jarheads not authors.

Quote Originally Posted by webberjay View Post
    Mike Redfern that name is familiar to me also. Didn't you replace me in the dispatchers job when I started driving that old loadstar you mentioned? Man that tractor was lame! Drove that piece of crap all over hell up there. Also made many dump runs to B'port in the pac-mor garbage truck! about the truck rolling incident on 395, the truck belonged to Harry Lauderdale but he wasn't in it that night. A guy named Gene Colter was driving and a Sgt. named Mark Wolford was in the middle,and I was riding "shotgun". We had borrowed Harry's truck to go to Reno and on the way back at about 0430 Colter falls asleep at the wheel and runs off the left side of the road, we went airborne for about 100 feet before hitting a boulder head-on and flipping the truck end over end. HELL of a wreck! Took me what seemed like an hour to figure out which way was up! At least no-one seriously hurt ( I got a bloody nose)
    WE caught a ride back to base and got the wrecker from the motorpool and went and drug the truck back on it's wheels then towed it straight to the junk yard. Harry took the news pretty well, all things considered. He had good insurance since the truck was practically brand-new. I have pics somewhere of the truck still upside down and me sitting on it. I'll try to find them and scan/post them if I can. Got a million memories of my time @ Pickle Meadows, loved that place.

always likes lt chapman 1sgt david ended up as Smaj david in like wanna say he came back up in 88 or late of 87... great guy...mt man who the heck are you ....

Hey there John - great name by the way, we must be brothers by different mothers or something. I was at Pickel Meadows in '78-79, TAD from Pendleton. I was an E5, instructor and served under Captain Nick Allen and Lt. Chapman, and of course, the great Lt.Col John Guy. I went by JW though Colonel Guy called me Moose. The base was a lot different then, with Quonset huts for us and GP tents down below for the troops. It was great duty. They let me extend 3 times up there but in the end I couldn't get permanent orders so I got out in August of '79, lived in the Bridgeport/Walker communites for a few years, married a local girl and then moved up to Nevada and then to the Northwest...

lmao you were a clamper wernt ya??? eclampervitas...

I was indeed a proud member of the Clampers (insert donkey bray here).
    I don't remember meeting you - but I fried a lot of brain cells at the Tules, the Sportsman, The Pinenut Lodge and of course at the E-club on base, so you can forgive me...

Smile Cpl Nathan C. Riehle

Friend of mine from Okinawa, a Scout Sniper. Thanks!

lmao YEah I know who you are :) lmao

you owned one smelly stinky azz goose egg and Im claustrophobic that will give ya a hint! lmao! semper fi bro!

Was there late 1979 from 8th Mt Bn CLNC cold weather training and back again around 1983 still in those wooden frames with old tent covers on them. Rember the most walking to the chow hall and not being able to breath for a while before eating.

That would be 1stSgt Daniels, Lloyd G I think. He sure loved to go to Bishop. How about them Mule Days.

Best deal there was the blood drive.. bus trip to Carson City or Reno, give blood, get all the bowling, and booze you could drink. Bus would take you back that night or the next day, depending on how much fun you were having.

Geez you can never forget the elevation, you could always tell the newbies at pickel meadows you'd be out of breath just going up the stairs from the PX to the head shed. Remember you even got an extra minute or two on your 3 mile run time. I worked in the S-1 from Jan 80 to Spring of 81.

Great place, great stories, how about getting out of your quonset hut and fighting 3 feet of snow to go take a **** or shave in the morning!

Hetzman and Easter yup that was a bad story, Sure never seen any official reports on that one. Has anyone heard from Chuck Arnone, PA boy I think, quite the characher along with his friend John Clark (wasn't it).

The names are nice to see I think I was in the quonset hut with Dan Guthrie. I can't remember others, I hung around with Jamie Perna he was a corpsman, we headed off to Topaz Lodge and what was the name of the bar that Carol Baker had just north of Topaz lodge?

Wow what memories, I'll have to look for that facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoubal View Post
    Wow what memories, I'll have to look for that facebook page.
    Heres the webpage:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/32531.../118631393131/

Your name rings some bells!

Just got home from our road trip to CA. First time in 32 years that I've seen this place. I'll post more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	401.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	21984Click image for larger version

Name:	392.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	21985Click image for larger version

Name:	399.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	21986Click image for larger version

Name:	395.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	21987Click image for larger version

Name:	393.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	21988

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    WOW, great pics, it looks like Bridgeport is frozen in time, nothing looks changed..

Thread Information