Pickel Meadows Alum
Create Post
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Pickel Meadows Alum

Looking to reconnect with instructors from MWTC from the years 1978/79.

Former Staff Member at MCMWTC in 1979

I was stationed at Pickle Meadows in 79, probably the same time you were there.

Hey Galt!! Long time no see!!

Hey Dan, your name is familiar to me, but my mind might take more jostling before I can put a face to it. I was there from October 77 to Aug 79 under Col Guy and Capt Nick Allen. Hung out at The Tules. JW Foster

I ran the base theater from June 79 to June 80 under Guy. I hooched with Dan Galt.

Hey Ameriken, I'm sure we crossed paths then - how could we not?! I was sad to leave the place, but I'd extended three times and had my TAD extended as much as they would do it. It was either re-enlist and head back to WestPac or get out.

I was there from 85-87. Where the hell was the base theater!?!? lol

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan1978 View Post
    Hey Ameriken, I'm sure we crossed paths then - how could we not?! I was sad to leave the place, but I'd extended three times and had my TAD extended as much as they would do it. It was either re-enlist and head back to WestPac or get out.
    We must have. With only 130 people there, it's hard not to! I was TAD'd from Pendelton and was glad to be there, I hated SoCal with a passion. I extended my TAD too, so I spent most of my last year there.

I've seen pics of it, it's totally different now, looks like a college campus.

Devil Dog....were you there when they had the old green tin buildings and quonset huts, or when they built the new buildings? The base theater was the big tin building that housed the barber shop (and I think the PX).

Fvuuuuuuuuck you guys are old.

J/K

Dan Galt worked in Supply issued tents and ski etc

Hey all,

Great to hear form you all after 30 years.

I worked in Supply back in the day. I was the jerk who hassled everyone about returning gear when they left our fair haven.

I visited the place in 1991, and it sure has changed form the days of the tent city.

I see Bridgeport on specials on the Military Channel and on their website.
    I think they even have a rifle range now and land helicopters there. WOW.

Ken, I tried to email you but could not get through to your address.

Can you send me an email at Dangalt@aol.com that I can respond to?

Thanks, it is great talking with you all. Check out the Facebook group Pickle Meadow Memories.

Ken

Yes the base theater was in the same building with the PX and the one chair barber shop. Do you remember Erick the old barber who would tell stories of how he fought with the resistance in WWII?

Sent you an email Dan. Yeah, I remember Erik. I think after a while he started getting on my nerves. Remember that Gunny that shot and killed SSgt Easter at the Pickel Barrel?

Col Guy just passed away in December. He was a great CO. Pretty much left everyone to their own. That was a great base, I loved my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    I've seen pics of it, it's totally different now, looks like a college campus.

Devil Dog....were you there when they had the old green tin buildings and quonset huts, or when they built the new buildings? The base theater was the big tin building that housed the barber shop (and I think the PX).
    I got there June of 85. I spent that winter living in the Quanson huts. It was cold! Never mind if the heaters went out in the middle of the night which they always did! By the spring of 86 we moved in to the new BEQ's.

I remember where the PX was and the barber shop but by 85 the base theater was long gone. I tried and tried to get back to Pickle Meadows for the next 18 yrs after that! Allot of good times and great memories in that place.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDvlDog View Post
    I got there June of 85. I spent that winter living in the Quanson huts. It was cold! Never mind if the heaters went out in the middle of the night which they always did! By the spring of 86 we moved in to the new BEQ's.

I remember where the PX was and the barber shop but by 85 the base theater was long gone. I tried and tried to get back to Pickle Meadows for the next 18 yrs after that! Allot of good times and great memories in that place.
    That was a great place, what a beautiful setting to wake up to every morning. It was the kind of place where you really loved it or really hated it.

Pickel Meadows - Memories

Ken,

I don't know if you remember, but I used to work at the club as a short order cook.

The night of the shooting I was off. I missed all the excitement and didn't know about it until the formation the following morning. How you could sleep through something like that, I don't know.

I remember that the instructors would go up in the hills in the winter and were supposed to survive off what they carried up, and some of them would sneak down at night.

I would hear a knock on the back door of the club with a secret order for burgers and fries. The instructor would come back in 10 minutes and pick up the order at the back door and be gone back to the mountains.

Thread Information