about to join
Create Post

Thread: about to join

about to join

I recently met with my recruiter for about the 4th or 5th time so far and I'm very interested and want to join. He said he wants to meet with me this week to talk about my career options and enlistment ideas and wants to meet with my family sometime the week after. My question is what kind of jobs are most needed now? I have been thinking about either 03xx infantry or 58xx as a career. Are there any Marines with these careers who can tell me a little bit in detail about each MOS?

I am currently in training for 5811 in Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. It is good tough training with an 11 week course. We run 5 to 9 miles 3 days a week, and train 5 days a week. Its a lot of fun at times, driving squad cars, humvees, shooting the M9 Service pistol, M2 50 Cal. machine gun, MK19 Automatic Grenade launcher, learning defensive tactics, search and seizure, basic law.
    Field MP - Infantry with a badge. Generally trained to perform all infantry jobs and more. Infantry personnel trains with a specific weapon.
    Garrison MP - More like a civilian cop but under the UCMJ. Bade and pistol driving a squad car or working the gate.
    By the way, the worst thing about it by far is the OC Spray. Worst experience thus far in my short Marine Corps career. It is however required for graduation and to carry OC spray. Level 1 contamination followed by a Defensive tactics course.

I obviously am not infantry but I know they hike/hump A LOT! With heavy gear, for long distances. Not my cup of whiskey by any means...
    They are some bad dudes no doubt, well known for chit talking to "people other than grunts," (POGs.) They get it done though.

Quote Originally Posted by jjstewfla View Post
    I recently met with my recruiter for about the 4th or 5th time so far and I'm very interested and want to join. He said he wants to meet with me this week to talk about my career options and enlistment ideas and wants to meet with my family sometime the week after. My question is what kind of jobs are most needed now? I have been thinking about either 03xx infantry or 58xx as a career. Are there any Marines with these careers who can tell me a little bit in detail about each MOS?
    1.....if you haven't already, take the ASVAB
    2.....pass the ASVAB
    3.....if you pass the ASVAB and depending on your score, then you can talk to your Recruiter about what MOS you would be able to get into.

03 slots fill up very quickly. both are beneficial toward a law enforcement career when you get out,it really depends on the department your going for,some prefer MP's some prefer 03's because they can be trained there way and have no bad habits.look at the lists of MOS's and secondary's and see what you think you could do for 4 or 5 years or possibly longer.

Go for artillery. It's a heck of a lot more fun. You get to blow stuff up on almost a monthly basis and you get to listen to the grunts cry because you're keeping them up all night.

Seriously though, I was artillery and I had good 9 1/2 years in. It's a combat MOSand you still get to deploy.

Damn Arty.....you're making me wanna join up again!

ooohrah! M198

Damn that picture makes me want to lat move!!!

if you crop the other arty out it's a much more impressive photo... see how I got rid of a lot of distraction and you can focus more on the gun?

Thread Information