Paperwork
Create Post

Thread: Paperwork

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb Paperwork

Is it customary for Marine recruiters to want to get the paperwork over with quickly? Currently I am being told that they want all of my paperwork out of the way before I take the ASVAB. The one particular paperwork in question is the statement my husband must write stating that he will have custody, knows he solely responsible etc for our child while I'm in bootcamp. (He's getting stationed in our hometown this November) Once they recieve it the subsequent paperwork will follow. Anyway my husband, who is in the Navy, is telling me they're giving me the runaround. That usually you can just take the ASVAB. And that I have up until August which is when they say is the earliest I can ship out to finish the paperwork. Are they? I weighed the thought that they want to do it this way to keep me from changing my mind. However its pretty made up and I let them know that. So what's the deal?

No, it's customary for them to waste as much time as possible. How long has your husband been recruiting for? He seems knowledgeable about the whole process.

Tell me though. If you wait to get all this done and they guarantee you a certain job before you complete all of your paperwork, and then you can't ship for some reason do you think that's going to reflect highly upon your recruiter in the eyes of his superiors?

Quote Originally Posted by sldevoe View Post
    Is it customary for Marine recruiters to want to get the paperwork over with quickly? Currently I am being told that they want all of my paperwork out of the way before I take the ASVAB. The one particular paperwork in question is the statement my husband must write stating that he will have custody, knows he solely responsible etc for our child while I'm in bootcamp. (He's getting stationed in our hometown this November) Once they recieve it the subsequent paperwork will follow. Anyway my husband, who is in the Navy, is telling me they're giving me the runaround. That usually you can just take the ASVAB. And that I have up until August which is when they say is the earliest I can ship out to finish the paperwork. Are they? I weighed the thought that they want to do it this way to keep me from changing my mind. However its pretty made up and I let them know that. So what's the deal?
    For starters, your husband is Navy. Not a Marine. Nothing against that, but since when did he become the SME on the Marine Recruiters there? They will take care of you. Just go with it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyOps View Post
    No, it's customary for them to waste as much time as possible. How long has your husband been recruiting for? He seems knowledgeable about the whole process.

Tell me though. If you wait to get all this done and they guarantee you a certain job before you complete all of your paperwork, and then you can't ship for some reason do you think that's going to reflect highly upon your recruiter in the eyes of his superiors?

I haven't been guaranteed a job and its not me that wants all this done at once. Although it is convenient. However I was interested in combat correspondence, but was told that it won't be available until next year. So I'm in a bit of a quandary. However I know that nothing is guaranteed until I have it in writing. I've been doing plenty of research. I was just trying to get some insight from those who actually went through Marine recruiting because my husband is constantly in my ear about having to sign that particular paper (he says its fruitless because we're married) and that they're giving me the run around. But I understand it could just be a formality. Just wanted to be sure because my husband is in the Navy and I understant that the Navy and Marine recruiting process could be fairly different. (he's bullheaded about that fact) But as it stands they don't want to go further until they have that paper. All of this is very irritating.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    husband is constantly in my ear about having to sign that particular paper (he says its fruitless because we're married) and that they're giving me the run around.
    The recruiters are not giving you the run around.

If you are married and are the female the government looks at it as you being the custodial care giver of the children unless there is a court order to say otherwise.

The reason for this form is so your children will be taken care of while you are doing your training.

Once you complete training and schools the custody will revert back to joint custody.

If you were to join the Navy the same form would be there as long as you have minor children.

If he is being obstinate about you signing the form .....it may be because he doesn't want to accept the responsibility of sole custody by himself for the time you are in training.

If you are serious about joining the Marine Corps it would be wise to consider an alternate plan....because if you were to join and him being in the Navy you both have the possibility of being deployed for months to years at a time without the benefit of family....where and who with would your children go?

Credits
    Savings
    If he is being obstinate about you signing the form .....it may be because he doesn't want to accept the responsibility of sole custody by himself for the time you are in training.

If you are serious about joining the Marine Corps it would be wise to consider an alternate plan....because if you were to join and him being in the Navy you both have the possibility of being deployed for months to years at a time without the benefit of family....where and who with would your children go?[/quote]

You know I hadn't thought about that. That is something we need to discuss thanks for bringing that to my attention. But as far as a placement for our child in the event dual deployment happens we've already worked it out. Both of our mother's over overzealous when it comes to taking him in. And yes I'm serious about becoming a Marine.

Thread Information