WW2 Sea Going Marine Information.
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member MarineRAIDER1's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile WW2 Sea Going Marine Information.

Hello fellow Marines,

As I stated in my profile I am a 1/6th Scale Action Figure collector(GI JOE) who likes to customize some of my figures.
    I am about to work on a Sea Going Marine assigned to a Warship (Crusier, Battleship, Carrier) during, Late 1943 to 1945.

So far I know what I want his rank to be Sergeant, he is a veteran Marine with Service in China (4th Marines, Shanghi), and the South Pacific with the 1st Raider Battalion ( Guadalcanal, Tulagi, New Georgia) , also he is decorated for Valor and is Combat wounded.

The problem is I know some by researching other uniforms of the period, but i have done little with Dress Uniforms and Ribbons and badges.

The Uniform I want to represent is a Service uniform for a Watch stander on the ship turned out for inspection by visiting officers with his M-1 Rifle, Cartridge belt, and Ribbons and Badges , Dress blues Cover, Khaki Shirt, tie, Pants and dress shoes.

The questions i have for the Board are:

Is the uniform I selected a actual service dress combo, and what color dress shoes go with it, Black or Brown (Cordovan).

And turned out for inspection would a marine wear his award ribbons and Shooting Badges ( I want to put rifle and pistol Expert badges on the uniform and a 10 ribbon Grouping).

And finally on the issue of 782 gear would a watchstander using a M-1 Garand be turned out in full gear( Belt, bayonet, first aid kit, canteen) or Just belt FA kit and Bayonet w/ M-1 Rifle.

And i also am looking for images of WW2 period Sergeant stripes
    OD on Khaki for the service shirt, and A image of the SeaGoing Marine patch to send to a patchmaker as a custom order.

Any help for any Sea Going Marines on the Board would be of help to me at this time .

Thanks,

I

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Raider1

Look on "SGTGRIT.com" and other sites i'm sure, for a book

"The Illustrated History of the American Soldier, his Uniform and his equipment: The U.S. Marine Corps".72 pages. Maybe a library.

There are a few pics that may help. My Scanner is down, or I'd post a couple. One shot is 'Honor Gaurd', as the Missouri entered Tokyo Bay.

Good luck

Terry

I have a friend L(Marine Corps League, Fla.) that served aboard
    the USS Hornet during WWII, if you wish I can give you his email
    address and you can contact him direct. Semper Fi GEne

Credits
    Savings
    Gene, Any help would be appreciated Contact me at : Diamondback102@Msn.com, I was hoping to be contacted by a Sea Duty Marine to get straight scoop on the uniform.

Credits
    Savings
    I can be Contacted At:

Diamondback102@Msn.com

And thank you Gene for the help.

I will pass on the information to him and trust he will contact you
    good luck Semper Fi Gene

Thread Information