Guard duty
Create Post

Thread: Guard duty

Guard duty

I am graduating MCT this Tuesday and from what I am hearing my MOS school at Fort Leonard Wood is backed up. Does anyone know what the odds are that I get stuck on guard duty? If I get it I would much rather have it at my MOS school rather than at Camp Pendleton. Also, from what I am hearing there is also a slight chance of getting RA from your MOS school, but you have to pay for the plane tickets and such. I should find out more tomorrow, just wanted to see if any Marines on here had expirienced being in this situation before.

lol... Whats your MOS?

I'm here right now. What will happen is you end up in MATT Platoon (Marines Awaiting Technical Training.) Its a platoon full of other Marines waiting to pickup training or they're avoiding it wasting tax payers dollars. A lot of them brag about how long they've been here, stay away from them.

MATT Platoon is EASY as hell, you do working parties most the day and then chill out the rest of it. You'll get a barracks room, probably 3 to a room maybe less and you'll actually have some FREEDOM, yes real bonified unsupervised freedom after about 3 weeks you'll be able to go off base with your battle buddy, and after 4 weeks you can go and stay out ALL WEEKEND!

Its not as bad here as people make it out to be, but I sure cant wait to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by srinaldo86 View Post
    lol... Whats your MOS?

I'm here right now. What will happen is you end up in MATT Platoon (Marines Awaiting Technical Training.) Its a platoon full of other Marines waiting to pickup training or they're avoiding it wasting tax payers dollars. A lot of them brag about how long they've been here, stay away from them.

MATT Platoon is EASY as hell, you do working parties most the day and then chill out the rest of it. You'll get a barracks room, probably 3 to a room maybe less and you'll actually have some FREEDOM, yes real bonified unsupervised freedom after about 3 weeks you'll be able to go off base with your battle buddy, and after 4 weeks you can go and stay out ALL WEEKEND!

Its not as bad here as people make it out to be, but I sure cant wait to leave.
    Motor T is my MOS. I would much rather do that than be on guard duty at MCT west, Im hoping though that they will just give me the option to come back on RA depending on how long my school is backed up. In a perfect world I would just pick up with a class right away. I want to get started and get to the fleet.

Credits
    Savings
    Moto!!

Yeah, but what you want and what you get or 2 different things.

Remember, you still have grinder dust on all your gear.

Motor-T picks up pretty quick here... CBRN and MPs are a different story.

There is no guard duty here. MATT platoon works Mon-Fri 0700ish till 1600ish, they have the weekends and evenings off. You can only wear civi-gear on weekends though.
    Its an easy easy job in MATT, the first week "receiving" sucks with all the paper work but it gets easy after that.
    Unless you're going to be here for like 3 months awaiting to pick up training then I highly suggest you save your money and DON'T go on RA.
    Make sure you have a valid drivers license when you get here.

From what I hear, Guard Duty west SUCKSSSS! I had guard duty east, BEFORE mct, and it was the shizzz.

And for anyone who thinks awaiting training for 3 months is bad, go down to pensacola and ask the ATC guys who waited 6 months to start what they think about Barracks Support. Ouch.... Thank god for AVI.

You won't get RA, at least they never gave anyone that back when I was in MATT for a month in a half during Feb. Motor T picks up slow, the course is 6 weeks long for MVOC, with 60 Marines per class, and 6 Classes going on at one time. Each class picks up every week, but there are a lot of Marines waiting. LVS is a 2 week class wait maximum, and the course is 4 weeks long, with 40 per, unless you volunteer for SROC right after MVOC like 4 Marines did, that course is also 4 weeks long. I'm waiting to pick up for VRC, on July 7th, so I actually did get 15days of leave with 30days RA, and yes I was lucky to get that. I go back up to Ft Lost in the Woods July 1st. VRC is 7 weeks long, and a class of 20-30 Fleet Marines, since technically you need 12months of 3531/3533 experiance before you can go, I just happened to get it as a contract since I am still a reservist.

you are going during the summer... reservists get first dibs on classes as they are considered a "priority" so they get it done before school starts.

I did 4 months of one kind or another of guard at camp johnson when I went through MOS school back in 2001... mostly 'cause the reservists kept bumping us out of class seats. just when we thought we'd pick up some boot private swoops in and steals the seat.

I ended up graduating MOS school as one of only 2 LCpls (it was nice 'cause I didn't have to march in the Platoon when a PFC was commanding it.

anyways, ramble over. RA will ALWAYS be on your own dime, it's worth it if you can get promoted from it... I've seen it used by PFCs who get people in which helps them pick up Cpl later... so don't be in a hurry as those points will stick with you until you get promoted to Cpl.

Thread Information