Moving Ship Date
Create Post

Moving Ship Date

Good evening,

i recently signed an open contract for MOS 02XX. My projected ship date is 16NOV09. However, my fiancee is pregnant and is due 15DEC09. I have spoken w/ my recruiter and requested that my ship date be moved up. After lengthy discussions with my fiancee, she is begging me to try to push it back to at least mid-January of next year. We are in a tight spot financially, live in a pretty crumby town, and live in a crumby apartment.

I am looking for any insight/advice as far as what to do. I would like to ship now, but I am not in shape, and have a wedding coming up at the end of the month. My recruiter has told me that he can maybe swing a ship date for late July. This is my plan, however my fiancee is not excited about it. I would like to go and get boot camp over with, and hopefull MCT as well. I know in the Air Force, they do not start any individual training classes within 2 weeks (+/-) of the christmas season.

Can someone please offer some advice (especially spouses & dependents) as to what the best option is?

Credits
    Savings
    The best option is always different for everyone. You need to figure out what is most important to you, is it being there when your child is born or getting benefits and dependent support prior to the birth of your baby. Neither is wrong but will depend on your family's urgent needs.

I'm confused, but that not hard for me as I am an old Gunny. You said you signed an open contract for 02XX....Are you assigned to an enlistment program or not. This makes a huge difference when it comes to ship dates.

If you are on a specific enlistment program, your ship date is mathmatically figured to avoid any lapse in training so you roll through boot, MCT and right into your MOS school. Changing the ship date when you are assigned a specific program is much more difficult.

Either way, think about it long and hard before requesting a change. Right now, it is hard to move up ship dates as the bed spaces at MCRD are full. We have graduates that would normally be able to ship 6 days after enlistment, having to wait 6-12 months before they can ship.

Trust your recruiter and if you think he's BS'ing you, let me know.

Gunz out ~

Thread Information