Is the recruiter jerking me around?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the recruiter jerking me around?

Hey there, I don't know how many remember me, I think I made an introduction post awhile back when I joined waaaay back when. Anyway, I was all set to go into the DEP at 17 and what not, I'd have graduated last week from highschool and would've been shipped off. But problems arise in life, as they often do, and as any Marine Corps hopeful I sought to overcome them.

I was knocked off my *** for 3 weeks with Pnemonia and once I was fit to return back to school I did so, but they had in my absense taken me off the school records and essentially failed me in all my classes for missing to many days in a row. I had a doctors note, but the damage was already done, aparently the woman who worked at the desk failed to file in the doctors notes that had been faxed to the school.

So, I was set back a year in my 11th year and my recruiter I noticed stopped calling to check in when I explained what had happened. In the mean time though, thinking I still had a shot at joining I worked my ass off and got back into shape as my lungs healed up and what not, I got my GED and gave my recruiter a call. He's a really nice guy and, I've connected well with him and have a decent ammount of respect for the man. But coming from a military family I know that is his job, it's what he's supposed to do. I also know that recruters tend to do and say things that aren't always accurate.

Anyway, I explained to him all that happened he said to give him a call on date X to see about taking all the tests and the like to possibly apply for a GED waiver and getting me back into the DEP and blah blah blah. I called him promptly on date X and he said he had to go to some highschools for their graduation. Said he'd call me back when he got a chance to do so. Haven't heard back from him since.

I'm really put off by the whole thing, I've been busting my balls to get in shape and the like and then I feel like he's just kind of blown me off essentially. Maybe to much paperwork, or maybe theres no room for the waiver as the Corps can only accept a certain percentile of recruits with GEDs.

So I guess what I'm asking is, should I go do some more pushups and wait for my Recruiter to call? Or should I go do some more pushups and look for a new god damn recruiter?

Last edited by thedrifter; 06-12-09 at 07:08 AM. Reason: YOU OVERRIDE THAT CENSOR AGAIN>>AND YOU'LL SEE MUCH I PUSH YOU

Just get in his face and stay there. I used to go visit my recruiter on lunch breaks during my last year in school.

He's a busy guy and I have noticed that recruiters can become hyperfocused on some things and forget others.

Don't take personal offense. Just get into his area of operations on a regular basis and he'll take care of you.

Marines like it when people show foward thinking and intitiative.

I am thinking there is some underlying reasons for the "education set-back". A serious illness such as yours is grounds for and "exception" to the attendance policy for schools. Not sure where the miscommunication was on that one, but it didn't work out in your favor.

Those with a GED alone only have about a 5% shot at becoming a Marine. Amazingly, with 15 college credits (level 100 or better classes), that percentage goes up to about 95% since you will be considered a "Tier 1" applicant. This is the standard for being a Marine. Waivers are possible, but not probable.

My suggestion is to keep in contact with your CURRENT recruiter, get some Community College under your belt, and continue to work on your physical fitness and knowledge.

If you want it bad enough, this is the route you need to take. Even if an education waiver was granted, you will be limited on your MOS opportunities.

Gunz out ~

Like SupChf said.....keep in contact with you CURRENT Recruiter and get some Community College under your belt.
    My nephew will be at PI 2 weeks Monday and he has a GED...and also "graduated" from Community College with an Associates Degree in Applied Science (construction electrician) 4 days before he left for Boot Camp. He will be a PFC when he graduates from Boot Camp. He's a reservist for now, but plans to put in for active duty when he starts his schooling. He's either a......
    0612 Field Wireman
    0613 Construction Wireman
    can't remember which one he said it is.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanielWolff View Post
    look for a new god damn recruiter?
    How about 'looking for a new recruiter' instead of a new 'god damn recruiter'?

They're Marines......SHOW SOME RESPECT!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    How about 'looking for a new recruiter' instead of a new 'god damn recruiter'?

They're Marines......SHOW SOME RESPECT!
    Yeah really..can't believe I missed this one...you should find a new "GD" recruiter...one in ACUs and a faggot azz beret...clown..

Dude do yourself a favor and get the 15 college credits. You CANNOT expect your recruiter to find an open GED slot. There's probably only a couple a year nationwide.

And like the others said, who gives a fuk if he hasn't called you back or not. Show some patience and some respect. Its summer and its the busiest time of the year for recruiters. I guarantee if you knock out those credits and walk in to the office, he'll have time for you.

I'm working on the college credits now actually. I start in the fall semester. I just was wondering what to do about the recruiter if anyone had similar issues, but it seems the general consensus is to stick with the one I have now, and that he is in fact not jerking me around.

As for saying god damn, it wasn't in a derogatory manner. So terribly sorry if you thought that paid/amerikan. But hey, if that was the only thing you can catch me on I can't be too bad off eh?

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated, I'll go back to lurking now.

Credits
    Savings
    As for saying god damn, it wasn't in a derogatory manner. So terribly sorry if you thought that paid/amerikan. But hey, if that was the only thing you can catch me on I can't be too bad off eh?

Don't push your luck...

I was knocked off my *** for 3 weeks with Pnemonia and once I was fit to return back to school I did so, but they had in my absense taken me off the school records and essentially failed me in all my classes for missing to many days in a row. I had a doctors note, but the damage was already done, aparently the woman who worked at the desk failed to file in the doctors notes that had been faxed to the school.
    Suppose she did do her job correctly and did file the notes, would you have otherwise graduated? Because if your school makes an allowance for illness and would have let you graduate if all the proper steps were taken and you've otherwise met the qualifications, then is there any way you can go higher up the food chain in the school district and fight this? If it were me, I would think it's a fight worth fighting.

Suppose she did do her job correctly and did file the notes, would you have otherwise graduated? Because if your school makes an allowance for illness and would have let you graduate if all the proper steps were taken and you've otherwise met the qualifications, then is there any way you can go higher up the food chain in the school district and fight this? If it were me, I would think it's a fight worth fighting.
    I might have had to take a class or two during the summer depending on how I finished up the year. The reason I couldn't really do anything about it was because they deleted the files for the year and took me off the school computers, replacing it with a simpl "F" in all my courses. I couldn't really fight it to change it because it was one of those things that you couldn't just hit 'undo' for. However I and several others who had similar things happen to them at that farce of a highschool did get the entire board of administrators (basically the people under the Principal, like Vice Principals) reassigned to different schools or fired.

From everything I've heard from my buddies things just keep going down hill. Apparently a gang came to the school looking for someone and no one noticed until they tried to leave because they thought it was just a bunch of kids skipping class. Later that year one of the teachers there killed himself after it was found out he was sexually molesting a few of the students there and was supposed to go to jail. Another cop was fired for letting the students smoke pot in the bathroom as long as they paid him like 20 bucks a student every time they were caught or something. If it weren't for not being able to go into the service when I wanted to I really wouldn't have minded the mistake that got me kicked out that year, just for all the **** that seems to be going on there.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Were you born with no knees and walk like frankenstein?

Sorry to hear all that. Then I'd continue doing what you're doing...go for the credits. It may cost some time but if it gives you more options it would be well worth the wait.

Sorry to hear all that. Then I'd continue doing what you're doing...go for the credits. It may cost some time but if it gives you more options it would be well worth the wait.

Yeah I was unaware that it limited my MOS choices, I thought all that was based on the ASVAB test. I'll stick with it and finish up the course credits, besides, gives me more time to PT, which can't ever hurt...well it can hurt, but you know what I mean....

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Were you born with no knees and walk like frankenstein?
    Umm....what?

I agree..do the college credits. Its summer, you can enroll in summer classes and get them done in no time..worse case scenario, enroll in fall classes and you'll be done by early December at the latest.

Also, pick up an ASVAB study guide and practice up and get the highest possible scores you can. That can't hurt either. It will make you look all the better. The ASVAB is not hard at all. I'm not even that smart and I got a 125. I feel I got jacked around a bit too...some of the questions are not written properlly in my opnion and kinda throw you for a loop. Those are the only ones I got wrong, if not for that I know I could have gotten them all right....cake walk. I also took the DLAB...that is THE hardest test I have ever taken in my entire life. Now thats hard!

Thread Information