Age limit to re-enlist?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Age limit to re-enlist?

A friend of the family is currently in Iraq with the PAARNG. He's 37, has 2 years active in the Navy, 6 reserves, and 5 years in the Guard (1 active). He knows quite a few Marines personally, & became more impressed with them overseas. He realizes he'd lose rank if it's authorized, but would like info if it's even possible. Rather than waste anyones time, he'd like to know what the chances of an age waiver are?

Quote Originally Posted by jjpryor View Post
    A friend of the family is currently in Iraq with the PAARNG. He's 37, has 2 years active in the Navy, 6 reserves, and 5 years in the Guard (1 active). He knows quite a few Marines personally, & became more impressed with them overseas. He realizes he'd lose rank if it's authorized, but would like info if it's even possible. Rather than waste anyones time, he'd like to know what the chances of an age waiver are?
    28 is the age cut off.

I'm not exactly sure how it works but he may be able to join.
    IIRC A = current age B = years in service
    If A - B < 28 he can join.

Good but that should be an equal too or less than sign.

Can't find it. Improvise, Devil. Can't improvise, then simulate.

I know that (your formula) is the general rule for prior serve Marines, but I'm not sure if that holds true for inter-service veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    I know that (your formula) is the general rule for prior serve Marines, but I'm not sure if that holds true for inter-service veterans.
    That was what I was wondering as well.

I belive it is 28 for him also because he would have to go in training at P.I. or M.C.R.D.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's called constructive age. Current age minus years of active duty service is less than 29 then he could be the oldest PFC in the Marine Corps.

Here is the order MCO 1130.8A. Your friend better hurry up! Only 3 years active duty is cutting it close for the equation. Applies to all Servicemembers.

http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...201130.80A.pdf

So with 10 years of service I could come back in at 38? Wow, I've got a few years to think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyOps View Post
    So with 10 years of service I could come back in at 38? Wow, I've got a few years to think about this.
    So you are thinking of coming back? See ya in the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    So you are thinking of coming back? See ya in the fleet
    Now now, don't get ahead of yourself. I just didn't know that tidbit of information. I don't have plans to go back but a lot can happen in 8 years.

I tried at 51 to get back in. Just made the cutoff for National Guard which is 47. 51-4=47. But I thought even as a Weekend Rambo I would be more of a hindrance than a help. So I will just put my old fart bones to more useful endevers such as being Jody to all those Gunnies, and Tops over there in the sand box. Just kiddin. But all those who go back in at a later age have my respect. SF

Thanks alot guys, unfortunately he might not be allowed to for a different reason. He was shot in the leg, and upper arm. From what we've been told his arm is broke, the leg wound was a through & through.
    I'm going to e-mail him in a couple of days to find out how he's doing.

No, it was a grazing wound (scratch) on his leg, but his upper arm is broke. His forearm was broke as well from the fall.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The rule for the National Guard was: "as long as you can complete twenty GOOD years by age 60 you can still get into the Guard". All other physical criteria withstanding. IE. PT test for your age, Height weight standard.
    You start with age 60,subtract20 years and add your number of active duty years and if your age is that sum or younger you are eligible to join the Ntl. Guard.

Example:60 - 20 =40, add 4years active duty=44. If your age is 44or less you my join the GUARD. ANY other reserve time counts as well and should be considered wit your active duty time.

Smadge

out for some time want back in

i will be 40 next month. i am a former 0317 and have ben out since 1998 i was in for 10 years and would like to reenlist. hindsight is 20/20 i wish i would have never got out. is it possible for me to get back in and get back to my M.O.S.? i understand there would probably be a reduction in rank and i am willing to accept that as long as i would not have to drop below an E-5.

Thread Information