Fear of Death - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Death

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSnips View Post
    For whatever reason this seemed to be my question of the day at work and its really got me thinking. Or it did and now I've decided on my personal beliefs.

On second thought, maybe the contemplative approach was wrong. When questioned by some faggot who was scared to serve just tell him to go fuk himself...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    more people die from car accidents a year than have the total kia wia in the Marine Corps... you should ask your co-workers if THEY are afraid to die... don't forget to add the "normal" flu kills 30,000 a year... and then there's choking on food and having an allergic reaction to pollen or bees.... skin cancer...

You're starting to give me the willies now...I see death around every corner and under my bed now...

no, you helped him better understand the situation.... THAT wasn't wrong... I do tend to agree with you on this (second to) last post... yet it doesn't do HIM any good.

Credits
    Savings

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    WOW!....For most humans, it takes 50 to 60 years to come to grips with their mortality. Accepting your responsibilities, as a Marine...means that you've given your WORD to "Preserve, Protect, and Defend...The Constitution of The United States, from any, and ALL enemies...foriegn or domestic." If you can not stand by those words...DO NOT BECOME A MARINE! When I'm leaning over a fallen, wounded Marine, I have to be sure that you WILL kill the enemy soldier about to kill me, because, if you don't...we ALL die!! Do you GET IT NOW???......DOC

I guess I dont fear death itself as much as I do the process. Will it be a long process involving pain and suffering? Will it be as simple and easy as falling asleep and not waking up? Will I see it coming? Will it be violent?

So I guess for me, it is more a fear of the trip rather than the destination.

I think the pain and uncertainty of death is what ALL people who fear death are afraid of Ameriken... after the pain what's next?

from a strictly scientific standpoint you still have 10 mins of brain function where some theorize that you can still see if your eyes are open and even still feel pain during that time... then after that time you just cease to exist... your biological computer (brain) powers down and is nothing but biodegradable matter.

so, this uncertainty is what people fear... is there an afterlife for the non religeous tends to be a biggy... where, as the rest of us wonder, in that life we will fit.

The biggest threat to the Constitution at this point in time are politicians not all but some. I know this is off subject but I had to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    I think the pain and uncertainty of death is what ALL people who fear death are afraid of Ameriken... after the pain what's next?

from a strictly scientific standpoint you still have 10 mins of brain function where some theorize that you can still see if your eyes are open and even still feel pain during that time... then after that time you just cease to exist... your biological computer (brain) powers down and is nothing but biodegradable matter.

so, this uncertainty is what people fear... is there an afterlife for the non religeous tends to be a biggy... where, as the rest of us wonder, in that life we will fit.
    I dont have that fear of the afterlife or what comes after death. Maybe 20 years ago I did. I think what Doc said is correct.....as you get older you come to a better grip with your own mortality. I used to have a greater fear of death itself, or rather at losing my chance at living a full life. However, as of right now, I have more a fear of the process of dying than I do what comes after.

As for that 10 mins of brain function....sounds like more than I have right now!

Quote Originally Posted by shnon89 View Post
    The biggest threat to the Constitution at this point in time are politicians not all but some. I know this is off subject but I had to say it.
    Read the rules about non-Marines making political posts.

In other words, dont.

Rule Ten there will no political threads or posts of any kind in the recruit forums, you are here to concentrate on the yellow foot steps not politics!

Credits
    Savings
    I wanna die in my 80's or 90's while being chased down the street, by an angry mob, of jealous husbands, wielding sticks and throwing rocks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs down Theres no Virgins where I'm going

The only thing that Scares Me about dying I ain't gonna FUC no more

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up Good answer

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    The only thing that Scares Me about dying I ain't gonna FUC no more
    SF Jody...I know that it will be like hell for you...

From a book I am reading...

"A warrior must focus his attention on the link between himself and his death. Without remorse or sadness or worrying, he must focus his attention on the fact that he does not have time and let his acts flow accordingly. He must let each of his acts be his last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will they have their rightful power. Otherwise they will be, for as long as he lives, the acts of a fool."

"A warrior knows that his death is waiting, and the very act he is performing now may well be his last battle on earth... It's only natural that this should be the best of himself. It's pleasurable that way. It dulls the edge of his fright."

"Death is our eternal companion. It is always to our left, an arm's length behind us. Death is the only wise advisor a warrior has. Whenever he feels that everything is going wrong and he's about to be annihilated, he can turn to his death and ask if that is so. His death will tell him that he is wrong, that nothing really matters outside its touch. His death will tell him, 'I haven't touched you yet.'"

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs down Dulce et decorum est....

Quote Originally Posted by cmixcoatl View Post
    "A warrior must focus his attention on the link between himself and his death. Without remorse or sadness or worrying, he must focus his attention on the fact that he does not have time and let his acts flow accordingly. He must let each of his acts be his last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will they have their rightful power. Otherwise they will be, for as long as he lives, the acts of a fool."

"A warrior knows that his death is waiting, and the very act he is performing now may well be his last battle on earth... It's only natural that this should be the best of himself. It's pleasurable that way. It dulls the edge of his fright."

"Death is our eternal companion. It is always to our left, an arm's length behind us. Death is the only wise advisor a warrior has. Whenever he feels that everything is going wrong and he's about to be annihilated, he can turn to his death and ask if that is so. His death will tell him that he is wrong, that nothing really matters outside its touch. His death will tell him, 'I haven't touched you yet.'"
    Three thoughts on that.
    1.If you're going to borrow the work, credit the author by name.
    2.Although very poignant and stoic, words are words until you've lived them.
    3.I want to clarify that there is nothing good about dying for your country, but there are things worse. While I am encouraging you guys to face your fears, we don't need any damn martyrs-just do your job and trust the rest unto your Maker...

“Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.”

Robert E Lee

Thread Information