Any one know how to lose 1 min. on the run. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for all your help everyone, Im running an IST this saturday, Ive been practicing real hard for this, Ill keep ya'll posted on how well I did, thanks for the Motivation.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Remember to start off slow. We do our IST's at a park where one lap is .75 miles, so when I'm finishing my first lap I ask for the time and depending on what it is, I will know to pick it up or not. Eventually once you can do the 1.5 in your sleep you will have a good feeling of what speed you can use for the whole run. Also, the last 50 yards or so I like to run as fast as I can, try and shave some seconds off.

Credits
    Savings
    Another thing to try is just lots of cardio vascular exercise. I seldom ran when I DEP'd in and my run time was around 12 min. I biked about 10 mi M-F and maybe 15 mi Saturday and I could run 1.5 mi in around 10 minutes by the time I shipped. I ran maybe 4 mi every other week only.

Some people have told me that swimming has helped them cut a lot of time off their runs also.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hard swimmimg, Yes,,,,,,, But wind sprints? There is no equal,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by C Thompson View Post
    Ok, I have already came along ways from when I first DEPed in, When I first started I had a 17+min mile and half run, Im curentaly running a 12:03. But my goal is to hit an 11min run. Any suggestions, I run every other day for 3 or more miles, and I only seem to improve by a few seconds ever two weeks I run an IST, any ideas would be awsome.

lots and lots of intense cardio. Seriously thats the only answer.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cardio,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by ST331 View Post
    lots and lots of intense cardio. Seriously thats the only answer.
    Like Wind Sprints??????

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Like Wind Sprints??????
    That or anything else that will get your heart rate up for an extended period of time; meaning 20 minutes or more. Twenty to 30 min would be better to help him prep for the 3mi PFT run, but one step at a time. Most important is for him to find something he's willing to do repeatedly be it swimming or sprints. I biked because it was part of my commute which was a two fold benefit because it saved me money on gas and it helped with physical conditioning.

If you start running out of breath, slow down, but don't stop. Try to at least keep a slow run rather than walk so your heart rate stays up. It's probably better not to do this every day though because your body does need some time to recover in between training sessions. Maybe have one or two days between session initially. Use this time off for upper body conditioning or something. Eventually start stepping up the training regiment so you start preparing for the PFT.

Again thanks for eveything guys, I ran my IST to day, I did; 11 - pull ups, 100 - situps, and believe it or not, my run time went down to 11:02!!! I tried a little of what everyone said, and every bit helped, thanks again to everyone who gave advised.

Run up hills, always run up hill.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJames View Post
    Run up hills, always run up hill.
    in the snow... barefoot... both ways.

To add to 0231Marine's answer... Cheat!

Wind Sprints and Hard swimming? Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by C Thompson View Post
    Again thanks for eveything guys, I ran my IST to day, I did; 11 - pull ups, 100 - situps, and believe it or not, my run time went down to 11:02!!! I tried a little of what everyone said, and every bit helped, thanks again to everyone who gave advised.

Not all of us are natural endurance athletes that can run 300 PFTs. But there is no reason in the entire world why a Marine should not be a 1st class PFTer except for laziness.

Not all of us are natural endurance athletes that can run 300 PFTs. But there is no reason in the entire world why a Marine should not be a 1st class PFTer except for laziness.
    err!

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    err!

No matter how hard I try, my highest PFT was still only a 260, which is really mediocre to unsat for an Officer.

I'm more of a 40 yard dash, hang clean and bench guy...

No matter how hard I try, my highest PFT was still only a 260, which is really mediocre to unsat for an Officer.

I'm more of a 40 yard dash, hang clean and bench guy...
    I'm trying to remember what my score was. If I remember right, it was usually around the mid to high 250s. I think the biggest thing that killed me on the points, sir, was that I could only get about 15 pull-ups, and then I usually lost about 20 points on the run because I ran a little over 21 minutes on the 3 mile. Situps were not a problem. I usually did them and sat and watched the other Marines for the last 30 seconds, unless a Master Sergeant was yelling at me for stopping even though I had my score.

I wasn't the fastest in running, but I was a 1st class!

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I'm trying to remember what my score was. If I remember right, it was usually around the mid to high 250s. I think the biggest thing that killed me on the points, sir, was that I could only get about 15 pull-ups, and then I usually lost about 20 points on the run because I ran a little over 21 minutes on the 3 mile. Situps were not a problem. I usually did them and sat and watched the other Marines for the last 30 seconds, unless a Master Sergeant was yelling at me for stopping even though I had my score.

I wasn't the fastest in running, but I was a 1st class!

I hate that. Little do they know that your core (abs and back) is a key element to your running performance. I hate it when they wanna be ooorah moto and make you do more than 100, when you can save your abs and lower back from getting smoked to give you a better run.

Thread Information