Enlisted admission to Naval Academy?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Enlisted admission to Naval Academy?

Hello, all.

I am a Lance Corporal stationed in Camp Pendleton. I am a good performer, I scored a 98 on my AFQT, a 133 on my GT, and I have a 290 PFT score. I have 15 college credits. Is it possible for me to go to the naval academy? My enlisted contract doesn't expire until 20130608, and I just turned 22 two weeks ago. I've done much research into MECEP and have my sights set firmly on becoming a Marine Corps Aviator, but before I press onwards I'd like to know if it's even feasible for me to attend the naval academy in Annapolis.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Semper Fidelis,
    -LCpl L

I've heard it is possible for you to attend it, but I have no idea on how.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    I've heard it is possible for you to attend it, but I have no idea on how.
    Wikipedia says you have to be under 23. I know you also need a recommendation from a senator, which I don't have. I may be able to acquire one. My primary concern: I'm not sure what the deal is with getting in if you're already active duty.
    Semper Fi,
    -LCpl L

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiamchosen View Post
    Wikipedia says you have to be under 23. I know you also need a recommendation from a senator, which I don't have. I may be able to acquire one. My primary concern: I'm not sure what the deal is with getting in if you're already active duty.
    Semper Fi,
    -LCpl L
    We got an LT (or Capt) on here that can help.

He'll be around. Be patient.

You have to be 22 and below before 1 July of the year you are applying for. It sounds like you'd just miss the deadline as your birthday sounds like it's in May.

I would recommend MECEP as a better program geared toward those who are prior enlisted. The Academy is a path to a commission.. and even a good path, but it does not cater to prior enlisted students and in a lot of cases, is harder for them. If it's something you really want though, it is doable, given that you meet the eligibility criteria at a minimum. Just my 2 cents having gone through the program and having friends who did MECEP.

The specific requirements for admissions are here:
    http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/steps2.htm

Thank you sir for the information, I have a question though, would they still look at highschool grades? Even though I am a Marine, just wondering since my grades weren't that great, only because I was lazy my senior year and just wanted to go to bootcamp, lol. I can qualify for everything else though (even getting the senators recommendation).

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    You have to be 22 and below before 1 July of the year you are applying for. It sounds like you'd just miss the deadline as your birthday sounds like it's in May.

I would recommend MECEP as a better program geared toward those who are prior enlisted. The Academy is a path to a commission.. and even a good path, but it does not cater to prior enlisted students and in a lot of cases, is harder for them. If it's something you really want though, it is doable, given that you meet the eligibility criteria at a minimum. Just my 2 cents having gone through the program and having friends who did MECEP.

The specific requirements for admissions are here:
    http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/steps2.htm
    Thanks for the info, sir. It's greatly appreciated.

I had suspected as much, I just wanted to confirm it. In retrospect, it's no one's fault but mine for getting started so late; it's the price you pay for 'living life' before enlisting. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'll continue to press onwards to MECEP. From what I understand, almost everyone is denied the first few times, but I will continue college on my own regardless of my acceptance. Worst case scenario, I'll get my degree through night classes and become part of the officer corps through a more direct commissioning program.

If we are the backbone of the marine corps, sir, you are its mind. We are all of the same body. I look forward to wearing gold in the coming years, one way or the other.

Semper Fidelis, and thank you again.
    Respectfully,
    -LCpl L

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    HEY!...YETI!! Why didn't give us your name??...on the RUN??.....DOC

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    HEY!...YETI!! Why didn't give us your name??...on the RUN??.....DOC
    What's up Doc! My info is in my profile. I got a 19:30 on my PFT this morning, do you have any tips on how I could... accelerate my life? (I couldn't resist.)

Keep doing what you're doing, and thanks for all you do for us.
    -LCpl Nathanael Ligon, MCB Camp Pendleton

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    NATE....just pulling your CHAIN!! Are you eating RIGHT??.....lot's of protien...low sugar...and calamari, and oysters!!...DOC

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    NATE....just pulling your CHAIN!! Are you eating RIGHT??.....lot's of protien...low sugar...and calamari, and oysters!!...DOC
    I certainly try to, though my work environment right now makes eating properly very difficult. We have to bring things to work from the local PX, instant dinners etc. I think we're on a rabbit trail, though. Thanks for the advice.

-LCpl L

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We like to beat up on the Army here and jokingly suggest losers apply there. You could and should look into the Army's flying enlisted program if that is your goal to pilot. I'm definitely not some sort of Army recruiter but from what I've read it is a good program and will get you warrent officer to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    We like to beat up on the Army here and jokingly suggest losers apply there. You could and should look into the Army's flying enlisted program if that is your goal to pilot. I'm definitely not some sort of Army recruiter but from what I've read it is a good program and will get you warrent officer to start.
    Thank you, Sergeant. From what I understand I actually could have gone warrant officer in the army to begin with, and flown, but I chose to be a Marine instead. I am Marine Corps through and through. I want to be a Marine Corps aviator, and I want to fly cobras. That's my dream. I don't want to fly apaches for the army and be a warrant officer.

I've done a vast amount of research into the aviation programs for the primary four branches, especially the Marine Corps, and I think my conclusion is an educated one. Thanks for the tip, though, I always appreciate an outside-the-box perspective on things.

I have friends in the army, and have nothing against it by any means, but I will always be a Marine, and I will never be in another branch.

Oohrah, Sgt.
    -LCpl L

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiamchosen View Post
    Thank you, Sergeant. From what I understand I actually could have gone warrant officer in the army to begin with, and flown, but I chose to be a Marine instead. I am Marine Corps through and through. I want to be a Marine Corps aviator, and I want to fly cobras. That's my dream. I don't want to fly apaches for the army and be a warrant officer.

I've done a vast amount of research into the aviation programs for the primary four branches, especially the Marine Corps, and I think my conclusion is an educated one. Thanks for the tip, though, I always appreciate an outside-the-box perspective on things.

I have friends in the army, and have nothing against it by any means, but I will always be a Marine, and I will never be in another branch.

Oohrah, Sgt.
    -LCpl L
    You want to fly in the military, the army may be the way for you.

Remember, you could be the most AJ squared away mofo they have ever seen.

Thread Information