Nervous dork looking for advice... - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I apologize if I came off wrong!

I didn't mean to sound like I was giving up already, all I was trying to say is i'm new to this stuff

Quit apologizing. Just earn the Title or leave. Read what was posted and take it all in.

Now go GET SOME!

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Every time I tell people I'm joining the Marines, they laugh, say that's retarded and that I'll go get blown up in Iraq/'Ghan. There's nothing I can really do to make them change their minds. I try to at first but I try to not let it get to me. Do the same to your brother. Show him you can choose to not be a skinny dorky turd and don't let his b.s. get to you.

First of all... I tell no one I know about my hopes and dreams of the USMC. That invites all sorts of un-moto comments from people who would rather you do something else for their own comfort. Second, hit up as much Poolie functions as humanly possible. If your local RSS is as inspiring and imaginative as mine, you will PT with Recon types, meet real Drill Instructors (if you are lucky enough to hit up the Sergeant Major's Pool Function), and then PT some more. If you find it fun, then keep working at it and these little appetizers (Poolie functions) will lead up to the main course (MCRD PI or SD). If the functions aren't your cup of tea, then do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg1990 View Post
    When I say I want to be a Marine, I'm not kidding, but on the other hand, there's only two types of people on this planet - those who are Marines and those who aren't. But I need some serious advice and pointers here. I have never gotten in a fight before. I've had a pretty sheltered life. Never fired a gun. I've never even seen an obstacle course in real life. My background doesn't exactly prepare me for this kind of a challenge. My brother couldn't believe me when I told him I was interested in the Marines ("You? Marines!? You? That? No, dude.").

Physical fitness is also a serious problem. I've looked around these forums and seen all the threads about "fat bodies" and that one guy who had the amazing before/after pics. What about the "weak bodies"? :P You know, the guys like me who are too skinny instead of too fat, high metabolic rate, extra distance to cover on those pull ups? Right now I'm at 5 (6 on a good day) pull-ups, 65 crunches in 2 mins, and I am just making it on the mile and a half time. I know that's pretty bad!! but I've been working at this stuff for the past 2 weeks and that's what I'm at.

is there any hope at all, or should I just forget this and move on!

thanks all and thanks for your service! especially this memorial day week
    Seriously, you just described me in a nutshell prior to enlisting. I never really fought, I had a sheltered home life with everything pretty much given to me, I never fired any type of weapon, never ran or saw an obstacle course and I could only do 2 pull-ups when I shipped.

I graduted 3 months later as a squad leader doing 15 pull-ups, oozing with confidence, shot expert on the range, was able to fly through the obstacle course and had a pretty good 5 year run in the Marine Corps.

The measure of a man (or Marine in this case) isn't in their muscles or how well they run an obstacle course, it's in his heart. As long as you have heart and a desire to succeed, then you'll make a fine Marine.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Amen 0231
    As for greg, son look, you are physically right about with me performance wise. I mean I started this quest not able to run a full 1.5 miles, what maybe 2 pull ups and a measly 20 something I think 26 or 27 crunches. Now 5 or 6 pulls if im lucky fluxing 60 to 70 crunch and I have run 1.5 in as quik as 11... uh I forget but under 12, and the next day I ran it in 12.15. the following day I had p.t. with my rss and fully expected a 12 flat run. now I slowed up once to encourage a new guest because that's what we do and it had been done for me. Anyhow that day I goofed and ran a 13.32. I was livid. And I won't even go into the long sob story of crap I've had to go throught for my chance to serve my dream. Just try living in th S.F. bay area surrounded by hippies who want their freedoms but don't want to fight or die for them and then have the nerve to hate you(like we care) because you will. Let nothing hold you back. Do what you have to to get to mcrd- wherever you're going, and bring your heart ...

Credits
    Savings
    Ran out of character space darn playstation.
    Anyways just get there and bring your heart the instructors will do the rest. So sayeth my ol man a Nam Marine. And try this for size, I get stronger and faster, and gain 10lbs. Which I now have to quikly cut because it puts me 10lbs over weight for my height lol, that's not funny.

Last edited by 44ghad; 06-04-09 at 09:13 PM. Reason: addition to the book

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 44ghad View Post
    And I won't even go into the long sob story of crap I've had to go throught for my chance to serve my dream. Just try living in th S.F. bay area surrounded by hippies who want their freedoms but don't want to fight or die for them and then have the nerve to hate you(like we care) because you will.
    LMAO! So true about the SF Bay Area. I'm in the south bay and it's even weaker/hippier here than it is in Oakland I bet. The most support I've received so far from anyone is "It's not my decision, do what you want I guess." Everyone else I know has been extremely negative about all of it.

Dang hippies.

People just dont understand. Thats why I hang out here.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    First of all... I tell no one I know about my hopes and dreams of the USMC. That invites all sorts of un-moto comments from people who would rather you do something else for their own comfort.
    First of all....I would NEVER tell anyone NOT to mention their hopes and dreams of becoming a UNITED STATES MARINE. I would be as PROUD as I could be telling everyone that I wanted to be a UNITED STATES MARINE. If you can't handle the "un-moto comments from people"......well, then maybe joining the Marine Corps just isn't for you. It happens.......grow some thick skin and deal with it. Prove to everyone that you have what it takes.....the heart, determination and confidence! Use all of those negative comments from people to motivate you in wanting to become a UNITED STATES MARINE!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by LASWMarine View Post
    First of all....I would NEVER tell anyone NOT to mention their hopes and dreams of becoming a UNITED STATES MARINE. I would be as PROUD as I could be telling everyone that I wanted to be a UNITED STATES MARINE. If you can't handle the "un-moto comments from people"......well, then maybe joining the Marine Corps just isn't for you. It happens.......grow some thick skin and deal with it. Prove to everyone that you have what it takes.....the heart, determination and confidence! Use all of those negative comments from people to motivate you in wanting to become a UNITED STATES MARINE!
    That is exactly how I feel about it. I tell everyone I know that I plan to be a Marine. Pretty much all my family is behind me. They at first asked why and if I was sure I'd make it but after that they just told me to be careful if I do make it.

Also I'm the kind of person that doesn't give a sh!t what people think so that helps.

Just hang in there and remember it's your choice and if you let others tell you what you can and can not do you will never get anywhere in life..

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by LASWMarine View Post
    I agree with you PFC. It is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of...pretty much the exact opposite. You should be proud to tell people you're joining. I am proud of what I am about to embark on and even though I have received ZERO positive support so far, I know that when graduation day comes and I'm up there on the parade deck, I will know who is the better man and that I accomplished what I set out to achieve.

Time to go PT my face off. All of the negative things said to me just make me stronger and want to tear **** apart as I lift and run.

Credits
    Savings
    LASW.... They say I haven't earned the right to say what every bit of me wanted to scream when I read that. So just eerrrrrr!!! I will remove hippies from my presence and if forced to remove them from their consciousness. It's these people here who provide the freedom to make those "un-moto" statements. Further I may have long hair for now but for one I know how to use a brush. lol

At the ripe old age of 18 I reported to Boot Camp and weighed a ripping 128 lbs. I was the guy they kicked sand at on the beach. Don't worry about a thing because the Drill Instructors will break you down just as they do all recruits and everyone starts out the same. Some can hack it and some can't. Just make up your mind that you will be one of the one's that will make it and turn all you attention to becoming one of the Few, The Proud.

Quote Originally Posted by 44ghad View Post
    LASW.... They say I haven't earned the right to say what every bit of me wanted to scream when I read that. So just eerrrrrr!!! I will remove hippies from my presence and if forced to remove them from their consciousness. It's these people here who provide the freedom to make those "un-moto" statements. Further I may have long hair for now but for one I know how to use a brush. lol
    First of all......you either use my correct user name LASWMarine.....or PFC! I believe I EARNED that right. Remember, you are a 'guest' on this site of MARINES!
    Second......I don't remember saying anything about long hair in reference to you or anyone else.
    Third........Please take the time to read the rules that have been provided to all Poolees and Wannabes by the staff here at Leatherneck.com.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...=29048&page=15

And Fourth.....NO, you haven't EARNED the right to talk to MARINES like you just did.

Thread Information