Rock Pile, 1968 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Pile, 1968

I was with Bravo Co, 3rd Tanks at the Rockpile. I held the tank slot at the top of the hill on Rt. 9 from Sept. 67 to April 68.

Rockpile

Tanker, I was up there in Oct & Nov 1966 with 1 Radio Bn. operating a PRD-1 . (Direction Finder) Since "Charlie" knew what & who we were, the higher we could get the better. The first KIA leading up to the war was a PRD-1 operator in 1961. I've got all the history if you ever want to see it.
    I also have pictures of the exact spot where you & your tank were, taken from the top. If you remember, there were the remains of a white building just across the Cam Lo river from where you were. We used to get probed out of it in Nov 1966 and we were told that we could not direct any artillery or air support on it because it was a "House Of God". Whoever was in your position in Nov 1966 did us a favor and every day he would take another part of the building down. No Church, No Gooks, No Problem.

Rockpile

PapaBear:

I would like to have the items you mentioned.

Email: MCVTHF@gmail.com

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Rock pile

I wish I had known my other thread was deleted. Notification would have been helpful.

I'm looking for anyone from 3rd Marine Division, C Company, Force Logistics Command, who was involved in an ambush, sometime in 1968, at the Rock pile. At least two 0331's were killed in the convoy. If I'm remembering correctly that convoy consisted of only three trucks.

Thanks

Credits
    Savings

Rockpile

I was on a HST with 3/4 at the base of the pile in Oct/Nov 66. We called my LZ baldy and had a tank there with us. We had a relay station on top. A guy named Hriscko (Ox) was on top then. You guys used to toss gernads off all night. This was before they built the landing platform. I was on the top much later, about Aug. 67, I've got some pics of you guys with the rdf stuff. You would get the gooks locations and copy their traffic. If I remember, it was all morse. There was an arty FO down at the other end, a Lt and a Sgt. Remember the rock apes?

I'll go up in the attic and dig around. I know I've got the pics. I'll send them to you if you want to see them

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Tanker, I was up there in Oct & Nov 1966 with 1 Radio Bn. operating a PRD-1 . (Direction Finder) Since "Charlie" knew what & who we were, the higher we could get the better. The first KIA leading up to the war was a PRD-1 operator in 1961. I've got all the history if you ever want to see it.
    I also have pictures of the exact spot where you & your tank were, taken from the top. If you remember, there were the remains of a white building just across the Cam Lo river from where you were. We used to get probed out of it in Nov 1966 and we were told that we could not direct any artillery or air support on it because it was a "House Of God". Whoever was in your position in Nov 1966 did us a favor and every day he would take another part of the building down. No Church, No Gooks, No Problem.

I was with H & S Co., 3/3/3, in an 81 mm morter platoon. I was there from early 67 for about 3 months until my platoon got shipped to Camp Carroll.

My e-mail address is: Coldplus@aol.com

Did you know a Rogers or a Manrique cpl/sgt while there?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Thanks. The name does not ring any bells, but time will take it's toll on the memory. Most books written about Marine Recon Teams will mention other teams in the field called "Spooks". I've had one other Marine who was in battle below the Rockpile that I have spoken with over the years, and after a short period of time he just looked at me and said "You were a Spook, weren't you"? Welcome Home to yo as well. S/Sgt Dudley AKA "Papa Bear"
    They used to call us "spooks" too. Our radios with their 8ft parabolic dish antennas really looked out of place in the bush.

BTW I spent Christmas 1969, at a TRC-27 shot within spitting distance of The Rockpile, across Rt 9 ... Rain, mud, and artillery shells flying over head ... Merry Christmas

I was a corpsman on a CH-46 that went down just across the road from the Rockpile on (I think) 8 May 1968. Wonderful bird the 46. We were cruising along and one engine quit and the other dropped to 50% power. Col. Rick the squadron skipper was driving and brought us in right side up.

We were from SLF Bravo part of 9th MAB operating from the USS Valley Forge. Operating from the ship, we used the designated Medevac bird for routine stuff so we were always in the area if needed.

We were probably headed to LZ Stud which I think became Vandergrift Combat base just west of hill 512.

I was standing in line in Okinawa on the way home and spoke with a Corporal who saw us go down.

Post The Rock Pile

In 1964 I was assigned to the MAAG/MACV, and spent many days and nights atop the "Rock" watching and listening, and drinking a few warm LaRue 33's

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinky View Post
    I was a corpsman on a CH-46 that went down just across the road from the Rockpile on (I think) 8 May 1968. Wonderful bird the 46. We were cruising along and one engine quit and the other dropped to 50% power. Col. Rick the squadron skipper was driving and brought us in right side up.

We were from SLF Bravo part of 9th MAB operating from the USS Valley Forge. Operating from the ship, we used the designated Medevac bird for routine stuff so we were always in the area if needed.

We were probably headed to LZ Stud which I think became Vandergrift Combat base just west of hill 512.

I was standing in line in Okinawa on the way home and spoke with a Corporal who saw us go down.
    Yes, Vandegrift did become LZ Stud after it was turned over to the Arny. It was an Army artillery base in '70. Firing those big guns (105's and 155's, I think) into and across the DMZ. 5th Comm continued to maintain a TRC-97 microwave link there to call in for artillery support from the Army.

Valley Forge

I was one of the Marines onboard with BLT 3/1. The 46's would take us in and drop us off.
    Glad you made it back.

Glad we got you out too. Hopefully it wasn't with me on the medevac bird.

Credits
    Savings
    Were you on Buffalo- July 67?

Quote Originally Posted by exnitro View Post
    I was one of the Marines onboard with BLT 3/1. The 46's would take us in and drop us off.
    Glad you made it back.

Thread Information